Itanium vs Opteron Dual Core

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello again.

    Can somebody please enlighten me in terms of how the Itanium is likely to
    compare with Opteron dual core?

    I know the Itanium will run HPUX as well as Windows, and I know the Itanium
    is pricey! I am not thinking of desktop use here, but just for SERVER use :

    * ignoring the HPUX support, are there decent reasons to consider Itanium?
    My gut feel is no, but what do I know?

    * when running Windows are there discernable performance reasons to go with
    one over the other?

    * since Itanium has a different software build for the OS, I presume it also
    needs different 64 bit application (server) builds; I notice SQL has an
    Itanium variant. Is this correct?

    * presumably any true .NET applications are platform independant; true?

    * is it 'believed' that MS will continue to support Itanium with any 64 bit
    builds in the long term? My fear is a repeat of the 'NT' ALPHA/MIPS/PowerPC
    scenario which occured early in 32 bit support... most processors no longer
    supported.

    I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

    Many thanks,

    Guest, Sep 29, 2005

  2. It depends on the workload, for example, highend websites. Also, for future
    of Windows Server on Itanium, Microsoft is removing some of the server
    roles. Check out the case studies, to find out some of the scenarios in
    which Itanium and Windows Server is being used:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/ipf/enterprise.mspx

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25928
    Microsoft says that Longhorn will run three types of higher-end tasks on
    Itanium including databases, custom jobs and CRM. However it will not be
    able to do fax server, Windows Media Services, Windows SharePoint Services,
    file and print servers, and others.

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for your information; I think the message is : use Itanium if you
    really need the high-end power/performance now, and have specific target
    applications in mind.

    Thus I will not persue this further unless I specifically need to support
    Itanium!

    Thanks again
    --
    Clive Crocker