ISP's complain to Telecommunications Commissioner

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    SNOman, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew

    JedMeister Guest

    For once I am not complaining, the new 2MBps plan through telecom sounds
    quite decent.

    JedMeister, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    8><

    "I am concerned that the wholesale equivalents haven't been provided to
    competitors and that fact risks undercutting ISP competition by
    confining them to resale and squelching their ability to differentiate
    and improve," said Webb.

    Sound familar?

    SNOman, Sep 29, 2004
  5. the 192 up is a bit of a PITA, but hey, they could have set it lower :/

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Not at the moment it's not. The new plans Telescum have announced are
    Xtra retail, not Telecon wholesale. No other ISP can offer them - Until
    about April, according to TCNZ.
    It's blatantly anti-competitive, and the fact that Webb isn't dragging
    Theresa out of her chair over it demonstrates what a total waste of
    space, oxygen and taxpayer money the man is.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Chris Mayhew

    Craig Sutton Guest

    And what if you wan't to stay on your current ISP say IHUG for example?

    Craig Sutton, Sep 29, 2004
  8. thats your choice... or for that matter, its Ihugs choice.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2004
  9. oops, guess I missed that point.
    yeah indeed... might read up on it some more tomorrow.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2004
  10. Chris Mayhew

    T-Boy Guest

    Aren't Ihug already offereing them?
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/jetstream/index.html

    Didn't telescum announce the wholesalers plans too?
    http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3096

    T-Boy, Sep 29, 2004
  11. Please read http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Things have changed since Telecom announced the 2M/192k Plans which means
    other ISP's can offer them

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 29, 2004
  12.
    Matthew Poole, Sep 29, 2004
  13. Please read http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Things have changed since Telecom announced the 2M/192k Plans which means
    other ISP's can offer them
    [/QUOTE]
    I see no reference to this at all.
    I see a Computerworld article saying the margin will be better, but
    nothing saying that the April due-date has changed - Meaning that
    Telescum still get a good seven months to skim customers before the
    competition can offer the same service speed.

    Matthew Poole, Sep 29, 2004
  14. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    Can't see which article you are referring to.

    I think you missed the point. There is NO wholesale equivalent of the
    new retail plans. Sure other ISP's can offer the retail version of the
    plan but they make less than $1/mth off each customer and are unable to
    vary the plan options.

    SNOman, Sep 29, 2004
  15. They're retailing the retail plan. Meaning that they're swallowing the
    pitiful margin in order to be able to keep customers who would otherwise
    switch ISP. It's a nasty choice.

    In related news, I'm informed that _IF_ the complaint is upheld (it's
    currently under investigation) it will be dealt with by the Commerce
    Commission as a breach of the Section 38 rules on misuse of dominant
    market position - So Dougie won't be involved, since it's not part of
    the telecommunications rules. Which means there is hope of Telecon
    getting the smack-down.

    Matthew Poole, Sep 30, 2004
  16. Resell, then, if that's a word you're more comfortable with.
    The difference between the retail and the wholesale is that the
    wholesale is attached to UBS. The ISP has control at layer two, rather
    than having to deal with the layer three traffic being passed to them by
    Telescum.

    *SNIP*
    My doubts arise from the fact that the Commerce Commission case relating
    to 0867 is still to appear before the courts, after beginning over
    three years ago. It's due there sometime next year. Telecon may be
    malignant, but they're not stupid. The money they pay Simpson Grierson
    is money very well spent.

    Matthew Poole, Sep 30, 2004
  17. Orcon is offering also the 2M/192K plans. And other ISP's? I have looked and
    cannot see any reference to these new plans yet
    See: http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/home/ and
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/business/

    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 30, 2004
  18. Chris Mayhew

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 30, 2004
  19. Chris Mayhew

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    But, this is where I'm confused. Firstly - you can't retail a retail plan -
    you retail a wholesale plan. Secondly, telescum said the wholesale variation
    wont be avialable till next year.
    Unfortuneately, the Commerce Commision is owned by the government which in
    turn is owned by telescum (by the nature of re-election campaign donations
    to the Labour Party (and the National party).

    Alas, this is the eternal pleasure we all dream off :)

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 30, 2004
  20. Chris Mayhew

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Ok, Duh! I just realised the difference.

    Yeah, I remember telescum saying other ISPs could "resell" the new plans. At
    a huge margin on 17cents per-month per-customer (IIRC)
    Of course they're not stupid. The stupid people are the 120 ignortant
    technophobes in Wellington who are having their pockets lined by telescum.

    Well, do they need to pay a law firm a sh*tload of money? They seem to be
    doing ok by feeding the odd tener to the 120 idiots in Wellington.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 30, 2004