ISPs can legally read your email

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ionizer, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    Ionizer, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Ionizer

    Brian Guest

    if you ask me its gonna take a bit longer till gmail is eventually "online"
    http://news.com.com/Does+Gmail+breach+wiretap+laws?/2100-1038_3-5205554.html?tag=st.rn

    Brian, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Ionizer

    Brian Guest

    that link of mine seems to be broken
    http://news.com.com/Does+Gmail+breach+wiretap+laws?/2100-1038_3-5205554.html?tag=st.rn

    Brian, Jul 2, 2004
  4. Ionizer

    Brian Guest

    Brian, Jul 2, 2004
  5. Ionizer

    Scrote Guest

    Err.. that would be AMERICAN ISPs, and, Iwould have to ask, does this
    make a huge difference with the various other "Agencies", who already
    have their finger in the pie? This may or may not be rhetorical.

    Scrote, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    I found it: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5205554.html

    The Massachusetts case would seem to apply here also. Gmail, like the
    bookseller ISP in the article I mentioned, aren't guilty specifically of
    wiretapping offences because when they "read" the email, the communication
    is no longer "in transit;" it has already arrived at its destination. So
    they aren't technically intercepting anything as someone listening in on
    your phone calls would be. So Gmail is off the hook in their case, too.
    That's my limited understanding of the legalities, anyway.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Ionizer

    Brian Guest

    i totaly agree.. but still think that its gonna take some time, seeing as
    the case has drawn so much attraction.. its always the same.. some "star
    lawyer" will have to get his fingers on it sooner or later..

    Brian, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Ionizer

    Max Guest

    They have really always had this. All of that data is going through
    their machines, and being stored there, and they have been considered
    in some instances as being responsible for what goes on with their
    service, so naturally they have the right and ability to check.
    It is the contract with each user that states their policy about
    whether or not they will, so check your contract if you are concerned.
    Who was afraid? Google stated right up front what they were going to do.
    That's direct and fair -- and anyone interested can decide if they
    care. No reason for anyone to be afraid.

    Max, Jul 2, 2004
  9. Ionizer

    Keith Guest

    The only way to keep your message private is to use strong encryption.
    S/MIME, AES, GPG and PGP are the only real solutions to protecting email
    communications.
    Even if Congress passed a law preventing ISP's from scanning or
    looking at email, how many ISP employees would accept money to divulge
    the content of email to a person interested?

    Keith, Jul 3, 2004