    AKT Guest

    My ISP (ATT) just sent this:
    Does anybody know which free / cheap services are best?

    AKT, Jun 9, 2009

  2. AKT

    John Navas Guest

    Tera News <http://www.teranews.com/>
    One-time setup fee of $4, no monthly charge:

    John Navas, Jun 9, 2009

  3. AKT

    ray Guest

    I've been quite happy with news.individual.net - it costs about one euro
    per month.

    ray, Jun 9, 2009
  4. Yes.

    John McWilliams, Jun 9, 2009
  5. AKT

    Keith Nuttle Guest

    I received the same thing to day. In response I have removed all yahoo
    sites form my computer, including the ATT/yahoo home page.

    While this may sound petty, if everyone who was a newsgroup user stopped
    using yahoo, which is possible, it would reduce yahoo hits and
    consequently the amount they can charge for advertisements.

    I just set up with aioe.org, I don't know how it will workout.

    Keith Nuttle, Jun 9, 2009
  6. AKT

    John Navas Guest

    To me it sounds silly.
    Probably not enough to notice -- only a tiny minority still use Usenet.
    Regardless, what's the point? Spite?

    Usenet is dying. Get over it.

    John Navas, Jun 9, 2009
  7. AKT

    whosbest54 Guest

    Go to alt.free.newsservers and read a bit. There are several choices.

    whosbest54

    http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

    http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

    whosbest54, Jun 9, 2009
  8. AKT

    Nobody Guest

    news.motzarella.org

    news.aioe.org

    both are free, ok most of the time

    Nobody, Jun 9, 2009
  9. Seconded.

    William Black, Jun 9, 2009
  10. AKT

    Jim Menning Guest

    I've tried both of them and also free.teranews.com and textnews.new.cambrium.nl .

    But the one I found to be consistently the best was news.albasani.net . They seem to
    have lots less downtime and greater retention than most. I also kept the teranews
    just for the binaries groups, which albasani doesn't carry.

    Jim Menning, Jun 9, 2009
  11. AKT

    Rich Guest

    And naturally, you ISP will raise their rates on cue, despite this
    service cut-back.

    Rich, Jun 9, 2009
  12. AKT

    John Navas Guest

    The "service cut-back" affects only a tiny minority of subscribers.

    John Navas, Jun 9, 2009
  13. news.individual.net works well for us.

    --
    Many thanks,

    Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
    Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
    rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email:

    Don Lancaster, Jun 10, 2009
  14. AKT

    SMS Guest

    OMG, can you autograph my copy of the TTL Cookbook?!

    SMS, Jun 10, 2009
  15. AKT

    Rich Guest

    Which is why they get away with it. It won't affect the Facebook and
    Twitter morons.

    Rich, Jun 10, 2009
  16. The following information was correct recently but should be checked at
    the web sites of the various providers.

    Options for free or low cost news servers.

    Individual.net

    http://news.individual.net/

    Registration required. Price 10 Eros a year. No binaries. No sex
    groups. No nonsense. This is a very dependable server for text. Spam
    filtering is superior to most other servers I've used.

    newsgate. xprivat.org

    http://www.x-privat.org/international.php

    Registration required. This server in now free. Text and some (few)
    binaries. This server is faster than
    individual.net but may lack some groups. Its binary completion should
    not be depended upon.

    Sunsite.dk

    http://dotsrc.org/usenet/

    Free text only, registration required. This server now only carries
    the comp groups.

    News.aioe

    http://news.aioe.org/

    No registration required. Free server. Text only. Limit of 25 posts
    per day.

    Motzarella.org
    http://motzarella.org/

    A free server, registration required.

    "Apart from de.* (including de.alt.dateien.*) news.motzarella.org
    carries the Big 8, alt.* (approx. 8000 groups) and several regional
    hierarchies (more than 200).

    For tests, information and support for users of news.motzarella.org the
    local hierarchy motzarella.* is open to unregistered users, too.
    Retention is currently 1 year for de.*, 40 days for alt.* and 30 days
    for the Big 8 and other hierarchies."
    **********************
    Albasani.net

    http://albasani.net/

    Like Motarella, Albasani.net is free and requires registration. Easy
    email registration.

    =3FDo you have binary groups?

    We have de.alt.dateien.misc and de.alt.dateien.weibsbilder, but none of
    the big binary hierarchies.=3F See also
    http://albasani.net/technical/cleanfeed.html.en#Binaries_Allowed

    Some limits on cross posting across domains.

    *************************
    Astraweb.com
    Paid server with block plans.

    http://www.news.astraweb.com/downloadplans.html

    We are offering $25 for 110GB! Other plans available.

    James E. Morrow, Jun 10, 2009
  17. AKT

    tony cooper Guest

    I've been using news.individual.net ("the German server")for years.
    It was free until a couple of years ago. I found it complicated to
    pay for the first time because they had to be paid in Euros (10 Euro =
    US $14.07), but I paid through credit card with ClickandBuy and still
    renew through them. I think they take PayPal now.

    tony cooper, Jun 10, 2009
  18. AKT

    ASAAR Guest

    What, you don't have the RTL Cookbook? Watta noob! :)

    ASAAR, Jun 10, 2009
  19. AKT

    John Navas Guest

    Like it or not, money talks, and they are the market.

    John Navas, Jun 10, 2009
  20. AKT

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Teranews has been a bit flaky recently. I can't get into my free account,
    despite the member's area saying my account is still valid. They have
    another server at public.teranews which says it does not need authorization,
    but I can't connect to that either. Have you had any luck with them in the
    last few weeks, John?

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jun 10, 2009