ISP and more than PC

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Roaming Raven, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. Hello tech-savvy people,

    I've a quesiton about the (hopeful) simplicty in creating a home
    network, perhaps in regard to my ISP.

    Right now, I access the net with a Well ADSL USB modem (model: well
    asu-8000). But I want my laptop to access the net by WiFi and I don't
    want to have to upgrade my service with my ISP. I'd rather not involve
    them.

    The basic question is, can I buy a better modem, plug it in and have
    no problems with my ISP? Will my ISP know that I have two computers
    accessing the net on the line they've rented me?

    More specifically, I want to get the ZyXEL P660HW 802.11g Wireless
    ADSL 2+ 4-port Gateway to replace the old modem. Will the ISP know
    that I have changed out the hardware that I own anyway?

    Thanks for your time. If the answer is a simple yes, I'll be buying
    the modem. If it's more complex, perhaps you can inform me or direct
    me to some resources where I can educate myself.

    Thanks,
    Richard
    Yankee expat teaching English in the Czech Republic

    Roaming Raven, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Roaming Raven

    Conor Guest

    Yes you can change the modem on ADSL and the ISP won't know. Just
    simply buy a new ADSL Modem Router, set it up and use the same username
    and password you do for your current method.

    Conor, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Roaming Raven

    Alex Fraser Guest

    [snip]
    They could probably work it out; the real question is would they care? The
    answer to that depends on the ISP's Terms & Conditions - for UK ISPs, the
    answer is generally "No".
    This is more easily detected, but again, would they care?

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Roaming Raven

    Rob Morley Guest

    Fraser
    says...
    The OP appears to be posting from the Czech Republic.

    Rob Morley, Jan 13, 2008
  5. Thanks very much

    Roaming Raven, Jan 13, 2008
  6. Roaming Raven

    Alex Fraser Guest

    I figured that was the case, hence why I qualified the country :). Perhaps I
    should have added: I don't know what the case is elsewhere (although I guess
    it's likely to be similar).

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jan 13, 2008
  7. Roaming Raven

    Jon Guest

    Yes, just buy a suitable modem/router/wireless access point combination
    device.
    Even if they do they won't care.
    They could tell, but they will not care.

    Jon, Jan 13, 2008