    wysiwyg21 Guest

    Are the hellos different between DIS and non-DIS routers on a broadcast
    subnetwork? What multicast address do the hellos use?

    wysiwyg21, Feb 16, 2005

  2. wysiwyg21

    Iggy Guest

    Hi,

    There is no difference between IS-IS hello packets for DIS and non-DIS
    routers, but there is a difference in multicast address on which routers
    send hellos and it is based on a router's role. So, if router is a L1 then
    it multicasts hello's on 'AllL1ISs' and if it is an L2 router then it
    multicasts on 'AllL2ISs' address. Of course, if the router plays L1/L2 role
    then it sends multicasts on both addresses...

    You may find these multicast addresses below:
    AllL1ISs 01-80-C2-00-00-14-The multidestination address "All Level 1
    Intermediate Systems"
    AllL2ISs 01-80-C2-00-00-15-The multidestination address "All Level 2
    Intermediate Systems"

    and here is URL with a lot of helpfull information about IS-IS:
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/insys_wp.htm

    B.R.
    Igor

    Iggy, Feb 16, 2005

  3. wysiwyg21

    wysiwyg21 Guest

    Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at that link.

    wysiwyg21, Feb 16, 2005
  4. wysiwyg21

    wysiwyg21, Feb 16, 2005
  5. wysiwyg21

    brian mack Guest

    wysiwyg21 wrote:

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    comp.dcom.sys.cisco - 916 messages and counting

    brian mack, Jun 28, 2005