Is this traffic shaping valid or make sense?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by netproj, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. netproj

    netproj Guest

    I am reviewing the QoS config of a router on our network and came
    across this,

    interface Serial2/0.804 point-to-point
    description 1536kb pvc to Chicago
    bandwidth 1536
    ip address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.252
    ip summary-address eigrp 646 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 180
    traffic-shape rate 153600 76800 76800 1000
    frame-relay interface-dlci 804 IETF

    The remote PVC is a 1.5 Mbps CIR PVC at (Chicago), locally it is a
    45Mbps CIR PVC on a DS-3 port.

    If we have the target rate is set to 1.536 what benefit is the burst
    and excess burst values, practically speaking you can not burst above
    the remote port speed, shouldn't we lower the target rate to (1.536
    Mbps - 76.8Kbps - 76.8 Kbps).

    Thanks in advance.

    netproj, Dec 29, 2005