Is this really a virus? Could there be more on my system?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hugh jass, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Hello All,
    I got the below email from a friend and found the jdbg.exe file twice in my
    c:/WINNT/ directory.
    Deleted them, emptied the Recycle Bin and ran the AVG virus detector which
    didn't find anything.
    Seems like everything is ok... But those files were from 2002 (this virus
    must be well known by now!) AND there was another file called setdebug.exe
    in the same C:\WINNT\LastGood.Tmp folder, which has the same teddy bear icon
    associated with it. Does this mean that this should be deleted, or is it a
    system file that has had it's properties altered by the other file?
    Please enlighten me!
    Thanks, hj.

    ____________________________

    Hi there,

    I don't really know what this means, but the following message was sent to
    me, and I found this "virus" in my c-drive, so I thought that I should
    forward this message to everyone in my address book just in case. I
    apologize for any inconvenience,

    Theresa
    _____

    A virus has been passed to me. My address book was infected.
    Since you are in my address book, you will probably find it in your
    computer, too. The virus (called jdbg,exe) is not detected by Norton
    or McAfee Anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before
    damaging the system. It is sent automatically by 'messenger' and by address
    books, whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts.

    Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.

    1. go to start, then click your 'Find' or 'Search' option
    2 in the folder option, type the name... jdbgmgr.exe
    3. be sure to search your C Drive and all the sub folders and any other
    drives you may have
    4. click 'Find now'
    5. the virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe
    DO NOT OPEN IT!
    6. go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose 'Select All' to highlight
    the file without opening it.

    7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then
    got to the recycle bin. If you find the virus, you must contact all the
    people in your address book so that they may eradicate the virus from their
    own address books.

    To Do this:
    1. Open a new e-mail message
    2. click the icon address book next to 'TO'
    3.Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
    4. Copy this message and paste to e-mail

    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    - Bush

    hugh jass, Jun 30, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    john Guest

  3. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

  4. hugh jass

    Buffalo Guest

    I do believe you are a victim of a 'hoax'.
    Next time check it out before deleting and notifying everyone in your
    Address book.
    Many times you can check out strange files by putting their names in the
    search box of Google.
    Setupdebug.exe is a normal Windows file, as is the jdbgmgr.exe file,
    It sounds like you may have looked at the file properties (good thing to do
    before deleting things).
    Check here:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html
    Note, this may or may not pertain to you.
    Plus:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322993

    PS: You may have to send out more emails now. :)

    "hugh jass" <

    Buffalo, Jun 30, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    ShadyJ Guest

    -snip of worthless virus hoax.

    Hugh,
    You have just deleted your java debug manager for windows. This is a
    hoax, not a virus. See
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

    Anytime you get a virus warning that looks like this one, ie.. Norton
    didn't detect it, AOL or IBM or Microsoft has just issued a major
    virus outbreak that is undetectable; it's gonna be fake. Always check
    the virus sites to see if it's legitimate before you start deleting
    system files.

    ShadyJ
    Remove yourunderware to reply.

    ShadyJ, Jun 30, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    Buffalo Guest

    "Richard" >
    What you posted was a letter by someone who was duped into believing that it
    was a virus.
    Please don't misinform like this.
    You probably got this from Google and clicked on the first thing you saw.

    Buffalo, Jun 30, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    Buffalo Guest

    Are you pulling our chain, huge ass @ obvious.moonman.com ???

    "hugh jass" > Hello All,

    Buffalo, Jun 30, 2003
  8. hugh jass

    Richard Guest

    Which is precisely why these kinds of idiots who post such questions should
    be taught a few lessons.
    Then maybe the next time they'll learn to do some research on their own.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to perform a simple
    search.

    Richard, Jun 30, 2003
  9. WRONG!!!

    It's a hoax.

    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.htm

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jun 30, 2003
  10. How would you feel if someone did that to you, shit for brains?

    Sure, this hoax is rather harmless, but what if it was something
    critical? What if you had your bank account or business info on that
    computer, and it was trapped by a dead OS?

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jun 30, 2003
  11. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    You are a prick and an idiot. Thanks for your advice to Install AVG.
    Should I run it too? Perhaps you could read my post that mentions clearly
    that I ran AVG. I have been using it for the past year and it never
    detected anything like this. Yes, when I got this email, I thought it was a
    little silly. But then the file was actually there and obviously wasn't a
    system file. So I deleted it. Anyway, thanks for nothing Richard. You
    must be a rocket scientist.
    Get a woolly one up ya! HJ--
    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    - Bush

    :
    : : >
    : > "Richard" >
    : > >
    : >
    :
    http://notes.cba.ufl.edu/cbahelp.nsf/0/c55e640d415de86585256d42004d4ddc?Open
    : > > Document
    : > >
    : > > It's a virus known as "teddy bear".
    : > > Do a google search for more info on the file.
    : > > You've been sendint it out in your mail and didn't even know it.
    : > > Install AVG.
    : > >

    hugh jass, Jun 30, 2003
  12. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks everyone that replied... (Except that asshole Richard),
    I appreciate the advice. I did delete the file in question and I am sure I
    can get it back if I need it. I did not, however, inform everyone in my
    address book as I suspected it may be a hoax. You have confirmed this.
    Thanks again, hj.
    PS. Not pulling your chain, Buffalo.
    --
    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    : Hello All,
    : I got the below email from a friend and found the jdbg.exe file twice in
    my
    : c:/WINNT/ directory.
    : Deleted them, emptied the Recycle Bin and ran the AVG virus detector which
    : didn't find anything.
    : Seems like everything is ok... But those files were from 2002 (this virus
    : must be well known by now!) AND there was another file called setdebug.exe
    : in the same C:\WINNT\LastGood.Tmp folder, which has the same teddy bear
    icon
    : associated with it. Does this mean that this should be deleted, or is it
    : system file that has had it's properties altered by the other file?
    : Please enlighten me!
    : Thanks, hj.
    :
    : ____________________________
    :
    : Hi there,
    :
    : _____
    :
[...]
    : ______________________
    : "peace - it's worth killing for"
    : - Bush
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Jun 30, 2003
  13. hugh jass

    Jimchip Guest

    Gee, 'mouthin off' again, St00pid. You were the one that said:
    <>
    "At least I don't go mouthin off to a newbee just because I'm tired of
    responding to what's already been replied to ten times that day."

    Hypocrite.

    ---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/
    http://www.cabal.net/cenkoc/index1.html

    Jimchip, Jun 30, 2003
  14. hugh jass

    Ron Martell Guest

    jdbgmgr.exe is the debug manager for Java programs so unless you are
    involved in writing or testing Java programs you are highly unlikely
    to ever need the file.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jun 30, 2003
  15. Thee old jumburger virus. This one was put in place to haunt microsoft for
    pulling the donwload of "la machine"

    Hi Bear Nation, Jun 30, 2003
  16. hugh jass rambled on about something in
    Honestly, this particular file isn't as important as others that
    you could have deleted. If you do decide to reinstall it, just do
    either a google search for it, or (ideally) search microsoft.com's
    knowlege base for it...

    Take care.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 1, 2003
  17. hugh jass rambled on about something in
    As a P.S. to my other message in this thread, I also suggest
    googling the name Richard Bullis.(Same fellow) Quite an 'interesting'
    read, about a rather big asshole...to say the least. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 1, 2003
  18. hugh jass

    OldSarge Guest

    How about Richard = Jack Shit

    That has to be true. He always tells people they don't know Jack Shit
    and I don't know of any one that wants to know RtS.

    Sarge

    OldSarge, Jul 3, 2003
  19. hugh jass

    Artemis Guest

    How about Richard < Jack Shit

    I know quite a few people that don't know Jack Shit and everyone of them
    is a genius compared to RtS.

    Artemis, Jul 3, 2003