Is this possible (wireless networking bridge question)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by spodosaurus, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a wireless
    network card can connect to the internet through another computer with a
    wireless network card and a wired card. Both computers are running WinXP
    Home SP2. The catch is, that the computer that will be acting as the
    bridge (the one with two cards, wired and wireless) connects through a
    router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:

    Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card

    So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to connect
    through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of different things
    and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a two NATs don't
    make a connection sort of deal?

    TIA,

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Dec 20, 2004

  2. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Update:

    I'm still trying to figure this out, but I appear to be one step closer.
    Here's what I did after deleting the bridge:

    1. turned on the DHCP server on my router
    2. set the wireless card on the bridge computer to ad-hoc mode using its
    manufacturer's software
    3. re-created the bridge
    4. changed the computer in the back room's wireless settings to receive
    an IP automatically

    It appears now that the computer in the back IS getting an IP from the
    router! It's the second IP in the DHCP list, right after the one
    assigned to the bridge computer. Unfortunately it STILL cannot connect
    to the Internet.

    Cheers,

    spodosaurus, Dec 20, 2004

  3. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Tracert fails at the first hop, by the way. So I've got the router
    sending the IP to the remote computer through the bridge, but that's it.
    Also, there's no firewall turned on for either the remote computer or
    the bridge.

    spodosaurus, Dec 20, 2004
  4. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    I had to enable compatibility mode for the bridged wireless adapter, as
    described here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx

    This also resulted in my wireless adapter completely disappearing, even
    after a restart, and so I had to uninstall the drivers, reinstall the
    drivers, disconnect the wireless usb adapter, restart the computer,
    reconnect the wireless usb adapter, set it to ad-hoc mode again,
    recreate the vridge, and check to make sure that compatibility mode was
    still enabled (netsh bridge show a).

    My problem now is that only one computer can connect at a time to the
    bridge in this manner (I tested out a second computer with a wireless
    NIC and it ended up with the same IP address as the one I was trying to
    get working, and so sort of gummed up the works).

    But for tonight, that's enough.

    HTH someone else, too,

    spodosaurus, Dec 20, 2004