    focus and shoot.

    If I do not use the viewing screen and just use the viewfinder...the
    camera is lightning fast.

    philo , May 26, 2014

  2. philo

    David Taylor Guest

    Yes, this is normal. The "Live View" mode uses a contrast-detect focus
    method (as the normal auto-focus sensors can no longer "see" the image,
    and that is a lot slower on the D5200 than the normal auto-focus sensors.

    David Taylor, May 26, 2014

  3. philo

    philo  Guest

    OK thanks.

    Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
    the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.

    Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
    something even better.

    philo , May 26, 2014
  4. philo

    David Taylor Guest

    On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
    []
    If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
    too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
    video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

    I wonder how recent MFT (micro four-thirds) cameras compare in response
    to the shutter press? Better than the Nikon D5200 in LiveView, but
    better or worse than the Canon G1X?

    David Taylor, May 26, 2014
  5. philo

    PeterN Guest

    What program do you use to convert videoto still?

    PeterN, May 26, 2014
  6. philo

    Sandman Guest

    Yes, as mentioned, this is normal. Contrast-based auto-focus is slower. And
    phase detection, which is what the Nikon uses, is a lot faster.

    There are mirrorless cameras with phase detection, like the Nikon 1, Canon
    EOS M, Fujifilm X-T1, Olympus E-M1, and Sony NEX-5R/6, A6000 and A7, but in
    most cases, these cameras phase detection focusing is still slower
    (sometimes a lot slower) than phase detection in a good SLR.

    Most people claim that the Sony A7 has the fastest mirrorless phase
    detection currently. Mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't confirm. It is also
    small and compact, but rather expensive - more than twice the price of the
    Canon, and that's without a lens.

    Sandman, May 26, 2014
  7. philo

    philo  Guest

    The G1-X is really perfect for what I am doing...so that will be my main
    camera.

    I enjoy the randomness.

    philo , May 26, 2014
  8. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
    : []
    : > OK thanks.
    : >
    :
    : If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
    : too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
    : video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

    Depends on your definition of "fun". When Martha and I had Canon P&Ses (much
    more primitive ones than Philo's, to be sure), the shutter lag nearly drove us
    batty. That's why we bought our first pair of DSLRs. All's well that ends
    well, I guess.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 27, 2014
  9. philo

    David Taylor Guest

    On 26/05/2014 22:41, PeterN wrote:
    []
    It's not something I've done for some time, Peter, but one of the usual
    video editing or conversion programs. Perhaps from DivX converter, or
    VLC Media Player or Virtual Dub or ....

    David Taylor, May 27, 2014
  10. philo

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks to you and David. I will try it and play.

    PeterN, May 27, 2014
  11. philo

    PeterN Guest

    That's that same reason I switched from my Coolpix to the D200. However
    I converted the Coolpix to IR. It's OK for landscape.

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/ir test 1.jpg>

    PeterN, May 27, 2014
  12. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 5/26/2014 9:43 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:33:04 +0100, David Taylor
    : > : On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
    : > : []
    : > : > OK thanks.
    : > : >
    : > : > Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
    : > : > the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > : > Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
    : > : > something even better.
    : > :
    : > : If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
    : > : too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
    : > : video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!
    : >
    : > Depends on your definition of "fun". When Martha and I had Canon P&Ses (much
    : > more primitive ones than Philo's, to be sure), the shutter lag nearly drove us
    : > batty. That's why we bought our first pair of DSLRs. All's well that ends
    : > well, I guess.
    : >
    : That's that same reason I switched from my Coolpix to the D200. However
    : I converted the Coolpix to IR. It's OK for landscape.
    :
    : <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/ir test 1.jpg>

    Sure; landscapes don't move much, even in infrared light. But grandchildren
    do! :^)

    One Thanksgiving, after we had switched to DSLRs, I lent my old P&S to one of
    my granddaughters. (I think she was six at the time.) She got some pretty good
    pictures. Everyone was ready to pose for her with a big smile.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 28, 2014
  13. philo

    PeterN Guest

    One of our disappointments in life is that our three grandchildren have
    a total of twelve legs equally divided between them.

    PeterN, May 28, 2014
  14. OH, so that's why we have only a couple of hummers here.... we have only
    one large feeder..... time to go to Orchard Supply.....

    John McWilliams, May 28, 2014
  15. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 5/27/2014 8:42 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Tue, 27 May 2014 18:58:41 -0400, PeterN <>
    : > wrote:
    : > : On 5/26/2014 9:43 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > : > On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:33:04 +0100, David Taylor
    : > : > : On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
    : > : > : []
    : > : > : > OK thanks.
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
    : > : > : > the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : > Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
    : > : > : > something even better.
    : > : > :
[...]

    I totally understand, and we wouldn't trade any of our five 2-legged
    grandchildren for any other benefit life can offer. And the two we don't have
    make us appreciate the five we do have all the more.

    But canine "grandchildren" can be a great pleasure in their own way, I think.
    Feline "grandchildren" too, probably.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 29, 2014