Is this HD on its way out...?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007.

  1. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    About three weeks ago, when I tried to open a file on a 250
    gig WD drive, I got the error "The file or directory is
    corrupted and unreadable."

    Based on what I read about that error, I decided that my
    best bet was to re-format the drive.

    After the format, I put it back into service, and all was
    fine until today.

    Today, I got the error again.

    This time, I ran the Western Digital Diagnostics and chose
    the most rigorous test method.

    The disk passed...

    Is it likely that this disk is on its way out, or could
    there be another explanation for these errors?

    Sincere thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007

  2. Kenneth

    Ken Guest

    Before condemning the HD, I would run a thorough test of your RAM. The
    HD is most likely the problem, but data is read and stored in RAM before
    being used.

    Ken, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Kenneth

    Steven Guest

    Check/Replace IDE/SATA cable?

    In the event you have dodgy Ram you would probably be getting blue screens
    of death or some other error message constantly.

    Steve

    Steven, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Hello again,

    The RAM possibility is remote as (for unrelated reasons) I
    ran a test for about 10 hours just prior to the first time I
    got the disk error and it looked fine.

    I can check, or even replace the cable, but it does seem
    unlikely to me that it would get flaky "on its own", that
    is, without my so much as opening the case in many months.

    Based upon my description, could it be that the disk itself
    is getting flaky?

    Thanks again,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Kenneth

    Pennywise Guest

    Run CHKDSK (or scandisk) if windows OS

    If errors are found they will be placed in a directory FOUND,
    Check the files for corruption, find the application responsible.

    A file name with higher ascii will give the same error if in a
    directory (the file name will have small squares)
    you can enter the directory with CMD.

    You can also use HDD Health http://www.panterasoft.com/
    it uses SMART info, and a day and time it will die :)

    Pennywise, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Kenneth

    Ken Guest

    If you have tested the RAM like you said, then I would guess the HD is
    suspect. I trust you have scanned for viruses so you are not fighting
    one? As for the cable, it is unlikely to be the problem since it does
    not show up more frequently.

    Ken, Dec 18, 2007
  7. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I will try the Pantera product, but have difficulties with
    your other suggestion:

    If I try to run CHKDSK from Windows, I get the error "Cannot
    open volume for direct access" followed by the suggestion
    that I run CHKDSK...<g>

    If I try the same from a command prompt, I get the same
    error (without the follow up suggestion.

    If I boot off a PE CD and try I get "The disk structure is
    corrupted and unreadable."

    It was at a similar point several weeks ago that I decided
    to re-format.

    I should also add that the WD Diagnostics (and I have run
    the extended version of the tests twice passing both times)
    also includes the SMART measurements, and those pass as
    well.

    Thanks for any further thoughts,

    Thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  8. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Hi again,

    Yes, I ran extended RAM tests (12 hours or so) and had no
    errors perhaps a month ago.

    The box is protected by Kaspersky AV, and it is up to date.

    It certainly does seem to me that the disk itself is getting
    flaky.

    Thanks for your help on this,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  9. Kenneth

    Billh Guest

    If this is a drive that can be saved Spin Rite will do it.
    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

    The smartdrive info is about useless. I have used spin rite to bring back a
    few drives that would not even boot. It also can be used about 3 times a
    year to condition your drive to prevent the disk from going bad over time.

    Billh, Dec 18, 2007
  10. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I am not trying to save the drive...

    Everything on it is well backed up elsewhere.

    It is just that I did not want to replace it if there were
    something other than its impending failure at work.

    Sincere thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  11. Kenneth

    Rôgêr Guest

    I'd recommend running the command chkdsk c:/r, but you have to be logged
    in as admin. Here's a fuller explanation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

    Rôgêr, Dec 18, 2007
  12. Kenneth

    Rôgêr Guest

    I can see the future, and in the future is a new hard drive for you.

    Rôgêr, Dec 18, 2007
  13. Kenneth

    Pennywise Guest

    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K CHKDSK /?
    <enter>

    You might try CHKDSK /X

    Pennywise, Dec 18, 2007
  14. Kenneth

    Tony Guest

    Next time do a low level format when you format the hard drive. Get a hard drive
    with a guarantee longer than one year maybe seagate.

    Tony, Dec 18, 2007
  15. Kenneth

    Tony Guest

    Is that you Steve? I think the word you're looking for is gammy, gammy ram.

    Tony, Dec 18, 2007
  16. Kenneth

    dadiOH Guest

    Could be. Could also be the power supply. Or RAM. Or power/IDE
    cables to the drive.

    I've had several drives fail (all Western Digital) but I have also had
    drives *appear* to fail (become unreadable) when the PSU got flaky.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Dec 18, 2007
  17. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I am logged in as administrator, but chkdsk will not run...

    It won't run from Windows, from a command prompt, or from a
    boot CD.

    Thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  18. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    With that command, I get:

    "Corrupt Master File Table."

    Thanks for any further thoughts,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  19. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    The switch of brands may be a fine idea, but it is my
    understanding that modern disks cannot be "low level
    formatted" by the end user.

    Am I wrong about that?

    Thanks,

    Kenneth, Dec 18, 2007
  20. Kenneth

    Steven Guest

    Just wondering has drive been exposed to high levels of heat?

    Sorry if its allready been asked but i havent the time the moment to look at
    all the other posts.

    Steve

    Steven, Dec 18, 2007