Is this a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Sirius, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    Computer connects to internet OK and then connection gets slower and slower
    till nothing is coming in but data continues to go out. At best the
    connection is very slow.

    Netstat shows 10 to 12 TCP connections (all from different ports and mostly
    where the foreign address appears to be the computer itself ) and also 10 to
    12 UDP connections mostly to *.* (*.* I don't understand)

    There was only one normal connection listed and that was to 193.86.103.11
    which I think was valid as I was trying to get an AVG antivirus update.
    (Whois suggests this is valid) No other foreign addresses were given in the
    list of 22 or so connections, data continued to flow out and yet the AVG
    update KB counter had halted and did not move again.

    Computer is a 1½ years old Dell, Windows XP home, and I think its had the
    Dell restore disk used on it. I'm a 100 miles
    away now, but I'm hoping I can help my uncle sort it out remotely.

    On my own computer netstat shows only a handful of entries, not the 22 or so
    I saw on his. Malware is likely as he would not have been updating his anti
    virus, but would it still be there after the Dell restore process?

    Does this sound like hardware, malware or configuration? I did try
    reinstalling the modem.

    Sirius, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Sirius

    Jeremy Guest

    First get him to download free zone alarm and not authorize anything
    going out except his email client and browser.

    Then install ad-aware or some equivalent anti spyware program and run
    it, there are free versions available.

    Then install a trojan remover and run it, there are trial versions
    available.

    Then update the anti-virus to include latest worm definitions and run
    it.

    That will do to start in an emergency and should take care of most of
    the problems.

    JJ

    Jeremy, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    He is a newbie and not able to do any of that. Neither was I as his internet
    connection was not working (see OP). I am intending to post him an AVG
    update on CD but thought it possible that someone here might recognise the
    symptoms. Thanks for your advice.

    Sirius, Nov 5, 2003