    "Do not send track requests" etc is ticked.
    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Mar 1, 2014

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Tony" wrote in message
    Sorry I don't use eternal-september so can't help you there, somebody else
    may
    be able to.
    Internet Explorer 11 seems to be solid I have been using it for ages so
    there
    is no reason why you should not install it. Just tick OK when you are ready.

    As a byline, please ignore someone who criticises after the fact, what does
    he
    expect you to do - go back to XP??? (depending on certain things that might
    be
    very difficult and there is no point anyway).
    I do not believe it will take you long to get used to Windows 7, the level
    of
    frustration will be short; and it is extremely reliable. Someone else gave
    advice on that which you can take if need be, that provides you with an
    XP-like
    interface I believe.
    Take your computer man's advice about DEP please!
    I have a sister-in-law who works in the UK NHS and her opinion of their
    ability
    to use technology well is probably not repeatable here!

    Thank you. I'll install Internet Explorer 11 next time the notice comes up.
    Eternal-september seems to be working well.
    I have relations who have had to use the NHS facilities.
    I think they would agree with your sister-in-law.
    One thing I notice is that messages I'm replying to used to have > in front
    of them.
    My messages that are being answered had >>

    It's a bit confusing now those > marks have gone. Is there any way to get
    them back?

    geopelia, Mar 1, 2014

  3. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    Yes. Don't use "Microsoft Windows Live Mail" as a newsreader to post to
    usenet. It seems to do all the wrong things, badly.

    From a viewer's point of view, posts made by folks using Live Mail look
    just terrible.

    Mike Dee, Mar 1, 2014
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mike Dee" wrote in message
    Yes. Don't use "Microsoft Windows Live Mail" as a newsreader to post to
    usenet. It seems to do all the wrong things, badly.

    From a viewer's point of view, posts made by folks using Live Mail look
    just terrible.

    What else could I use? I've got Windows 7 now and this is what comes up.
    I think the newsgroups are somewhere on Google, I saw them there years ago.

    geopelia, Mar 1, 2014
  5. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    Geo, you could try the free "MesNews" newsreader:
    http://www.mesnews.net/gb/ecrans.php

    I recommend it for you because it has an easy to grasp look & feel, not
    too dissimilar to the old Microsoft Outlook Express.

    It also has its own newsgroup that you can sub to, to ask questions
    about MesNews if you need to:
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.mesnews

    There are several other newsreaders that you might try, some are free,
    some are shareware or you need to purchase.

    I use "Xnews" which is another freeware newsreader. Its my favourite by
    choice, but it hasn't been updated in several years.
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    Mike Dee, Mar 2, 2014
  6. I like News xpress 2.0 which worked fine on XP and still does on win7. It's
    now at version 2.1 according to http://www.malch.com/nxfaq.html.

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 3, 2014
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote in message
    I like News xpress 2.0 which worked fine on XP and still does on win7. It's
    now at version 2.1 according to http://www.malch.com/nxfaq.html.
    I've got aioe and eternal-september.

    geopelia, Mar 3, 2014
  8. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    Those are the "News Servers" that you access, they deliver the news-
    groups that you subscribe to, such this one (nz.comp) which you
    frequently post your questions & thoughts to.

    Many of us use the news servers' aioe & eternal-september too,
    including myself.

    News Servers are programs that don't "live" on your computer, you
    access them externally via your PC's networks and they in turn
    deliver (send) the news posts down to your PC.

    "News Readers" on the other hand, are programs that do reside on your
    PC. They access the external news-servers such as aioe & E-S, which
    in turn, deliver the newsgroups that you want to read, to your
    computer. News Readers also deliver your posts up to those newsgroups
    via the news servers, which anyone else who subscribes to them can
    read & reply to.

    The "Microsoft Windows Live Mail" program that you currently use for
    news reading & posting, is a News Reader (and email client).

    Other News Reader programs, as mentioned in this thread above, also
    do the same job as accessing external news-servers and allow you to
    read & post to newsgroups. Only, they tend to do a better job of it
    than the one you currently use, "Microsoft Windows Live Mail".

    To use another News Reader, you would need to download it and install
    it onto your Windows 7 computer, plus set it up to access your news
    servers, aioe & eternal-september.

    Setting up would be not much different than how you set up "Microsoft
    Windows Live Mail" to access those servers.

    If you didn't do this yourself then you would need to get who helped
    you with this, back in to help out.

    Newsgoups are important to you, so you should find a better News
    Reader program for your new PC. One that does "the right thing" with
    regards to nice looking news posts, and is not overly complicated, to
    make your learning curve not too daunting.

    Mike Dee, Mar 3, 2014
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mike Dee" wrote in message
[...]

    Thank you.
    This one came with Windows 7. I'll ask the computer man about a News Reader
    when he comes again.
    I liked the one I had with XP, but I think it was just Outlook Express.
    I'd like to have the same one again.

    I got a reply that eternal-september org wouldn't post this. I'll try aioe.

    geopelia, Mar 4, 2014
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geopelia" wrote in message

    "Mike Dee" wrote in message
[...]

    That's done it, I think.

    geopelia, Mar 4, 2014
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "EMB" wrote in message

    Outlook Express doesn't work with Windows 7. I would suggest that you
    ask the computer man to install Mozilla Thunderbird and set it up for
    you. It isn't too different to Outlook Express but makes a far better
    job of formatting Usenet postings.

    Thank you. I'll see what he says. He'll be bringing me a new printer soon.
    My HP "all in one" doesn't work with Windows 7, but it will still copy etc.

    geopelia, Mar 4, 2014
  12. I got a reply that eternal-september org wouldn't post this. I'll try aioe.[/QUOTE]

    ES seems to have had some problems recently, but it looks like it's working
    again now. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 4, 2014
  13. geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    Geo, if you used to use Outlook Express for both email and news posts
    then I agree & 2nd EMB's suggestion of using Thunderbird.

    Microsoft in their wisdom scrapped Outlook Express from Windows 7, in
    favour of that 'expletive' program you are currently using.

    Get Thunderbird via the official site:
    http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/

    Mike Dee, Mar 5, 2014
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote in message
    ES seems to have had some problems recently, but it looks like it's working
    again now. :)

    Yes, I found it was working again later. aioe was working.
    I don't know whether it is Windows 7 or something else when stuff doesn't
    work, still getting used to 7.

    geopelia, Mar 5, 2014
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Mike Dee" wrote in message
    Geo, if you used to use Outlook Express for both email and news posts
    then I agree & 2nd EMB's suggestion of using Thunderbird.

    Microsoft in their wisdom scrapped Outlook Express from Windows 7, in
    favour of that 'expletive' program you are currently using.

    Get Thunderbird via the official site:
    http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/

    Thank you. The computer man will be back when I get a new printer, this one
    doesn't print from the computer now.

    geopelia, Mar 5, 2014
  16. :)

    ES had a database problem apparently ... and this could happen occasionlly
    until it's fixed. Ray was dealing with it.

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 10, 2014
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote in message
    :)

    ES had a database problem apparently ... and this could happen occasionlly
    until it's fixed. Ray was dealing with it.
    It seems fine now.

    geopelia, Mar 10, 2014
  18. ES had a database problem apparently ... and this could happen occasionlly
    until it's fixed. Ray was dealing with it.
    It seems fine now.
    [/QUOTE]

    Yep. I think Ray got one of the servers moved to new hardware some time in the
    weekend.

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 10, 2014
  19. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    I've suggested Microplanet Gravity already.

    Dave Doe, Mar 14, 2014
  20. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    It didn't and doesn't come with Windows 7 - your computer man downloaded
    and installed it (Windows Live Mail and possibly other parts of the
    Windows Essentials suite). Windows Live Mail is MS's replacement for
    Outlook Express. OE doesn't run on Windows 7, however you have Windows
    7 Professional or better, you could run OE in 'XP Mode' ...
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-
    xp-mode

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-
    mode-in-windows-7

    If you have Windows 7 Home, you're out of luck for OE.

    Dave Doe, Mar 14, 2014