Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Happy, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Happy

    Happy Guest

    Happy, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Happy

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Happy

    yong321 Guest

    In case the filename extention is completely unknown or it's named
    wrong (a PDF document is somehow renamed to myfile.pdg, e.g.), then you
    can ftp the file to a UNIX/Linux box (preferably in binary mode) and
    type

    file thatfile

    to identify it. If it says "data", then the file is not recognized.
    Make sure the UNIX box is not too old, or /etc/magic would be outdated.
    Yong Huang

    yong321, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Happy

    MJP Guest

    Program that can tell me what kind of file a file is when the extention is
    wrong?

    Quickview can sus most files.

    MJP

    MJP, Jan 3, 2005