    doesn't work or something unpleasant like that.

    Thanks,
    Froggie

    Guest, Nov 13, 2005

  2. I got most of the useful info I needed right here in the 2 months before I
    built my 64 bit machine. You can go from ignorant to fairly well informed
    with a few questions to the users here. If you go into this with to your
    eyes open you'll do fine...

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Here is a quick run down:
    Some things to remember from Charlies recent web cast:
    The initial target audience for XP Professional x64 includes the following:
    - Developers
    - Gamers
    - Graphics, audio and media artists
    - Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
    - Enthusiast
    (It is not recommended for casual users)

    Also common issues associated with x64 when it comes to compatibility
    include:
    No support for 16-bit applications
    All hardware device drivers are required to be 64-bit to work on x64
    No support for MS-DOS applications
    32-Bit Explorer extensions do not work

    Others include:
    No active desktop in x64
    No Microsoft IntelliPoint drivers (popular one here in the ngs)
    No firewall client for ISA, also no Novell netware client
    Scanners and all-in-one printer driver support can be a problem
    No imaging software support

    More:
    Limited AntiVirus support (supported ones are Avast Home 4.6, NOD 32, AVG,
    eTrust 7.1 Trial, Symantec AV 10)
    No Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) in wireless
    For NERO users have encountered uninstallation problems, limited and easily
    resolved by re-running setup from the CD. (See the post Nero 7 doesnt
    uninstall on Win x64 by Wad dated: 11/3/2005 3:44 AM)

    So make sure your investment in Windows XP Professional x64 is worth the
    possible trade offs, I think most would agree at least the ensure that the
    computer is 64 bit enabled. You can give the XP Professional x64 Trial a
    trial in a dual boot configuration with XP x86 to see if it really fits your
    needs.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

    Also check out the following FAQs by Charlie Russel:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 13, 2005
  4. Andre, eTrust AV 7.1 is not trial. I have been using the final release for
    months. Just an FYI.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Consider dual booting with XP x86. That way you will not lose access to
    programs and devices you need that are not yet supported by x64.

    Andre covers the bases pretty well.

    Spend the time reading the past postings in this ng and check out
    PlanetAMD64.

    Read any post or reply by Charlie Russell. Download and view his webcast
    at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909753#XSLTH3138120120120121120120

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Thanks for that correction Colin. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 13, 2005
  7. So, you've got the hardware to do it. What other hardware do you use? What
    software do you use? And, ultimately, what do you hope to gain? You're
    definitely starting in the right way, by asking first. At this point,
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is not for the casual user. You should
    be willing and able to "self support" yourself. For one thing, there is no
    MS support, since there's no retail copy. OTOH, there's a really healthy
    newsgroup right here, and we're all using x64 and liking it, and we're here
    to help.

    At the risk of self-promoting, I'd suggest you take a look at the
    presentation I did this week.
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753
    It covers all the basics, I think.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Charlie,
    I am comfortable "self-supporting" myself. It can certainly be frustrating
    at times but it is rewarding too.

    The PC in question has a pair of Western Digital Raptor 37mb hard drives in
    a RAID 0 array as the boot drive plus a pair of Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300gb
    hard drives in a RAID 1 array as the data drive. There are two optical
    drives, a I/O Magic 16X Lightscribe Dual Layer ATA on the primary master IDE
    and a Plexor SATA on SATA 0. There is a SOYO card reader.

    The upgrade is so that I can test software compatibility on one of my rigs.
    I have several PCs built on the same motherboard.

    I have downloaded your webcast. It is an 'exe' file which was a bit
    surprising.

    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I generally do not care for dual
    boot machines. I always seem to forget which OS I have booted in and load
    the wrong software at some point.

    I am using Office 2003, mIRC, Trillian (IM program), Maxthon (browser), Nero
    6, and Roxio. There are a few utilities loaded too. Most of these are
    modern programs but I am not sure how to determine if they are 16, 32, or 64
    bit. I suppose I will find out by "hanging around" for a bit:)

    Kurt

    Guest, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Darrell Gorter wrote:
    How To Determine what version/platform files are

    Filever.exe is a utility that allows you to determine which platform a file
    is.
    Filever.exe shows you the attributes of a file.
    Filever.exe shows the file versions of each file.

    Filever.exe ships in the support.cab on the Windows CD.
    <cd-rom-drive letter>\support\tools\support.cab

    Filever is 32-bit on 32-bit Windows and filever is 64-bit on the Windows
    X64 cds.
    Switches
    filever [/S] [/V] [/E] [/X] [/B] [/A] [/D] [[drive:][path][filename]]

    /S Displays files in specified directory and all subdirectories.
    /V List verbose version information if available.
    /E List executables only.
    /X Displays short names generated for non-8dot3 file names.
    /B Uses bare format (no dir listing).
    /A Don't display file attributes.
    /D Don't display file date and time.

    The output shown for example: from running filever *.* /B
    -rash W32i64 DLL - 5.2.3790.0 shp 9,728 03-25-2003
    c:\windows\kbdhept.dll

    The first section -rash shows the file attributes: (-rash )There are 5
    positions for attributes ( Directory,read-only,archive,system,hidden) They
    are always in the same position and multiple attributes can be shown.

    The output is virtually the same for the 32-bit and for the 64-bit filever.
    The 32-bit filever however is not aware of X64 files so the header is
    displayed differently.
    32-bit filever.exe will run on 64-bit Windows since it will run in WOW64.
    64-bit Filever will not run on 32-bit Windows.

    These are the headers in the second position: (W32i64)
    Itanium File - W32i64 ( reported the same with 32-it and 64-bit filever)
    X64 File - Wx64 (64-bit Filever reports the x64 file header as Wx64
    X64 File - W32 (32-bit filever reports x64 file headers as W32 without the
    i)
    X86 (32-bit) File - W32i ( reported the same with 32-it and 64-bit filever)
    16 bit file - W16 ( reported the same with 32-it and 64-bit filever)
    MS-DOS - DOS

    Type of file: (DLL)

    Then there is the language section: (ENU)

    The next section is the version of the file: (5.2.3790.0)

    The next section shp(shipping) in this example is the shipping version of
    the file as opposed to the dbg( debug version). This will be blank on
    directories and text files for example.

    File Size (9,728)

    File Location (c:\windows\kbdhept.dll)

    Examples of the various platforms for Windows files.
    Both of these files are for the x64 platform files

    32-bit filever.exe output for an x64 file
    --a-- W32 APP ENU 5.2.3790.1830 shp 88,064 03-24-2005
    c:\windows\notepad.exe

    64-bit Filever.exe output for an x64 file
    --a-- Wx64 APP ENU 5.2.3790.1830 shp 22,016 03-24-2005
    C:\windows\rsdiag.exe

    Directory, not a file so it's platform idependent.
    d---- - - - - - 0 08-31-2005
    [c:\Windows\inf]

    Text based file so it's platform independent. Note this has the read-only
    and archive attributes on as well.
    -ra-- - - - - - 7,895 08-23-2001
    c:\Windows\inf\1394.inf

    This is an Itanium file. Note the file has the read-only, archive, system
    and hidden attributes enabled
    -rash W32i64 DLL - 5.2.3790.0 shp 9,728 03-25-2003
    c:\x64ver\kbdhept.dll

    This is a 16-bit Windows file.
    --a-- W16 DLL ENU 1.7.0.0 shp 94,784 03-24-2005
    c:\x64ver\twain.dll

    This is an MS-DOS file:
    --a-- DOS - - - - 39,274 8/23/2001 c:\windows\system32\mem.exe

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 14, 2005
  10. Sorry about the format -- I don't control that, obviously.

    So, you're going to need F6 drivers for the RAID, but that shouldn't be an
    issue. (and by the way, RAID0 as a boot drive??? -- I would NOT do that. But
    then, I hate RAID0, since it actually increases your exposure to
    catastrophic failure.)

    The SATA Plextor might be an issue -- I seem to remember some issues with
    DVD on SATA in x64, but don't have the message to hand any more. And it may
    be OK now. I'd double check with Plextor on it, though. The card reader may
    be a problem.

    Office 2k3 is no problem. Nero (except for the packet writing) works fine.
    Don't know about the others.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 14, 2005
  11. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Here is a Plextor site about the supposed compatibility of the drive, but
    please note that they say the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe has been reported
    compatible but I have had a problem with the system freezing when the drive
    is attached and one other here had the same problem. Numerous persons
    posting on the NewEgg site cite a similar problem. Lots of boards not
    compatible, but if it works on x86 it will probably work on x64.
    Sample: I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with an Athlon 64 4000.
    I give this DVD recorder 3 stars because its obvious it works well for
    others.I tried updating the firmware.I flashed the BIOS..nothing works.When
    i place a DVD in the Plextor,and attempt to access it,it hangs my whole
    computer,windows task manager will not even work.
    I read the warnings given here by others,but i failed to adhere to them.

    John Barnes, Nov 15, 2005
  12. Thanks for the followup. I thought I remembered problems with that Plextor.
    Too bad, they've always been one of my preferred vendors. Well, hopefully
    they'll get it all sorted.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 15, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    No worries, I will swap out the Plexor into another machine.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005
  14. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Good. Hope it works on one of the compatable boards.

    John Barnes, Nov 19, 2005