Is there anyway to run 16-bit apps on Vista 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Stuart Jackson, Sep 29, 2008.

  1. We have a few legacy applications which are 16-bit. Anyone know of a
    way or a utility which will allow 16-bit apps to run on Vista 64?

    Stuart Jackson, Sep 29, 2008

  2. If they are DOS apps, DOSBox might work. http://www.dosbox.com/

    If they need Windows, Microsoft VirtualPC
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
    will work if they do not need to access hardware other than serial and
    parallel ports.

    If they need access to USB, VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ or VMware
    Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ with VMX builder
    http://petruska.stardock.net/Software/Vmware.html#VMXBuilder are free.

    You will need a licensed copy of 16-bit capable Windows to run in the
    virtual machines, i.e. anything from Windows 95 up to XP.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 29, 2008

  3. No direct way - the support simply isn't there. That being said, using a
    virtualization solution (VirtualPC, VMWare, whatever) on your Vista host and
    running a legacy operatng system in the child VM is a viable solution. There
    are even workarounds for USB here (See my blog post on FabulaTech.)

    I've covered this in a couple of blog posts as a reasonable solution to any
    compatibility issue. Your 16 bit applications will have access to normal
    networking communications with the host machine, but in most solutions not
    drag and drop between them.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 29, 2008
  4. So it seems the only way to do this is to run a separate OS (XP, 98,
    etc) under a virtual machine (ie. install the virtual machine on Vista
    64, then install XP or whatever under the virtual machine). Am I
    understanding this correctly?

    Stuart Jackson, Oct 4, 2008
  5. Stuart Jackson

    Zootal Guest

    So it seems the only way to do this is to run a separate OS (XP, 98,
    Have you tried DosBox? http://www.dosbox.com/

    Zootal, Oct 4, 2008
  6. Yes. There is no known way to emulate 32 or 16 bit Windows.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 4, 2008
  7. Correct. You must run a virtualization application such as Virtual PC and
    create a virtual machine. Install your choice of legacy OS in that VM. There
    is NO support for 16 bit applications in any 64-bit version of Windows.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 5, 2008
  8. and loses you access to the 64bit Windows when you're in the second boot.
    Overall, a much less satisfactory solution for most situations, IME.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 5, 2008