    camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    Regards.

    anytimej, Sep 24, 2005

  2. anytimej

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them from
    the camera.

    Ray Fischer, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)

    (I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
    them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)

    But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
    vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
    someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
    whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
    some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
    just view or download your images at will. Downloading the images to your
    PC and protecting them there is obvious - but there are times when you don't
    have immediate access to your PC and you would like to protect those images
    until you are able to transfer them.

    Robert J Batina, Sep 24, 2005
  4. And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

    "When they poured across the border,
    I was cautioned to surrender.
    This I could not do
    I took my gun and vanished."

    "The Partisan"
    Emmanuel D'Astier de la Vigerie
    and Anna Marly 1943

    John A. Stovall, Sep 24, 2005
  5. anytimej

    Charlie Self Guest

    Put the CF card in your pocket.

    Charlie Self, Sep 24, 2005
  6. anytimej

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Shrug. Sometimes people don't notice the obvious.
    I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
    that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
    encrypt the photos, though.

    Ray Fischer, Sep 24, 2005
  7. Morse code on the shutter release?

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 24, 2005
  8. anytimej

    Jeremy Guest

    Yes. My Ricoh RDC-5300 has a provision to password-protect the images on
    the card so only authorized users could access them. I never could figure
    out what good that feature was.

    http://www.ricohzone.com/Product_RDC5300_CameraDetails_pg1.html

    Jeremy, Sep 25, 2005
  9. anytimej

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    And if you ever do find a worthwhile use for it, it'll take mere seconds
    for the hackers/cheaters/whatever people to create an "un-doer" for it.

    It will be just like a cheap lock. Keeps honest people out.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Sep 25, 2005
  10. anytimej

    ASAAR Guest

    The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
    to be a substitute for the keyboard.

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005
  11. anytimej

    ASAAR Guest

    It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
    taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
    encryption until the camera is idle.

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005
  12. anytimej

    Jer Guest

    Just a thought... select a menu option that displays a qwerty-like
    diagram on the LCD, use the joystick to scroll across the "keyboard",
    pressing half-shutter to select each character in the correct sequence,
    and when the sequence is complete, full shutter press and hold to toggle
    the encryption of the entire card image by image. 1-5 failed attempts
    (programmable) to decrypt a card's file system results in a DES-3 wipe
    pattern (S/N of the chassis = public key + owner's password = private
    key) instantly applied to every file sector across the card volume
    including the FAT. I call it the Corbomite Maneuver, and every sector
    contains gibberish.

    Jer, Sep 25, 2005
  13. anytimej

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I work in the computer biz. That kind of problem is easily solved by
    just throwing more CPU power at it. :)

    But if cameras can do fast JPEG compression a simple encryption
    shouldn't be any problem. Won't be up to DOD standards but would
    seriously inconvenience anybody who forgot their password.

    Ray Fischer, Sep 25, 2005
  14. anytimej

    ASAAR Guest

    That'll work, but I won't buy any camera that gets as hot as my
    That's why I mentioned encrypting while idle. It's somewhat like
    the way Windows can defragment or compress hard drives when the
    system isn't in use. That would allow slower, more secure
    encryption to be used without slowing the operation of the camera.
    As far as passwords go, I just realized that neither a keyboard or
    microphone is needed. The camera does have a lens, after all, and a
    high resolution sensor. It could be designed to compare
    fingerprints with several stored in the camera's internal memory
    (not on the flash card). Unlike some vehicles, I wouldn't want to
    see a camera employ a breathalyzer test before operating. <g>

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005
  15. If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 25, 2005
  16. Most cameras have very elaborate menu systems now... it wouldn't be hard to
    include a password entry screen with a scrollable selection of alphanumeric
    characters.

    Robert J Batina, Sep 25, 2005
  17. If you haven't noticed, most wireless phones will also let you access most
    of their functions via voice commands, like caught stated in his post. You
    like thread-crapping, don't you. The OP asked a simple question, you don't
    appear to have the answer - so instead you pester the people that reply?
    Nice. :p

    Robert J Batina, Sep 25, 2005
  18. Once you've loaded the numbers in either via key pad or computer link.
    You can then set up a voice link..

    I replied because you gave a lame answer and you are still giving lame
    answers.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 25, 2005
  19. A slicker system would be a biometric one like the fingerprint
    protection system found on iPacs, if you want to crap up a camera with
    more useless functions.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 25, 2005
  20. anytimej

    ASAAR Guest

    Oh my, what have we here but another of your usual smug responses
    that completely misses the point. Of course cell phones have
    keypads. But some also have voice control. Many cameras also have
    microphones, but not too many have keypads. If cameras ever employ
    keypads they're more likely to be "soft" keypads on touch screen
    displays than the space robbing "hard" variety.

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005