    size *is* important. That's one of the major reasons their batteries
    are the way they are; AAs and AAAs don't allow the small sizes the
    consumers obviously want.

    Big Bill, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Big Bill Guest

    What they were telling you was that *they* don't make one.
    A quick Google search will find many.

    Big Bill, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    dj_nme Guest

    The Pentax *ist-D with a Tamron 28-200mm zoom would meet this requirement.
    It ships with 2 CR-V3 cells, but 4xAA can be used as well.

    I am seriously considering upgrading to a Pentax *ist-DS (uses SD cards)
    because I already have a Tamron Adaptall 28-200mm with Minolta MD/MC
    mount (which I use on my XG-2) and have found a cheap supply for an
    Adaptall K-mount.
    It also looks atractive because M42 lenses can used (with a K adapter)
    in manual or apeture priority mode.

    dj_nme, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Celcius Guest

    Thanks Ron,
    I'm in Canada and Walmart, nor Radio Shack or even Camera stores had them 6
    months ago.I didn't bother checking back recently. I will as soon as I get a
    chance.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jun 11, 2005
  5. One problem is shelf life. LiIon cells slowly self-destruct even when
    they are not being used (i.e. sitting on a shelf) due to internal
    chemical changes. Apparently by about 2 years after manufacture, the
    capacity will be down significantly.

    So a camera using LiIon batteries will need new ones periodically, even
    if you don't use the camera much. Once you can no longer buy the
    specific proprietary LiIon battery needed by that camera, the camera is
    effectively dead. (External battery packs are not really practical for
    most photography).

    NiMH cells have better shelf life in the first place, and I think it's
    safe to say that new AA-size NiMH cells will be available long into the
    future.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 11, 2005
  6. I'd take the pocket full of AAs. For the same amount of energy
    capacity, NiMH cells are a lot lighter than the lead acid gel cell. So
    I'd be carrying around less weight for the same amount of shooting.

    Of course, I'd have to stop to change batteries occasionally, and have
    some system for separating fresh from used cells. But with the gell
    cell, I'd have a cord connecting the battery to the camera all the time,
    which is also an inconvenience. I think these two roughly cancel each
    other, so weight remains the main difference.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thats what I said in another post. I was just commenting on Ken's
    'electronics' claim. That should have been obvious from my 'some products'.

    Rod Speed, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    SoCalMike Guest

    the only 6v gels im familiar with are those 5lb ones used in kids riding
    toys. id hate to have one of those hanging off my belt.

    SoCalMike, Jun 11, 2005
  9. Wow. You've embarrasssed me.
    I'm paying five times what you pay for each of my proprietary battery
    packs!

    I'm also wary of EBay (well known as the largest fence on the planet).
    In fact, I've never bought on the Internet, let alone at a fence
    auction.
    Although, wait a minute ... yes ... come to think of it, maybe I can
    pawn my near-dead proprietary batteries as brand new to make money for
    my new camera purchase. :)

    I'd guess I am slowly realizing my unstated reluctance for hugely
    expensive proprietary battery packs (as you can probably guess) is that
    my use model clearly involves physical buying from a local store when &
    where I need the battery. No store I've ever plucked a battery off the
    shelf of sells batteries for the prices you mentioned. (It's my fault
    for this use model, not yours.)

    For example, at my local Fryes electronics store (where I buy almost
    everything electronic), my Nikon 7.4 volt 650mah ENEL1 battery clearly
    costs me $38 dollars out the door ( $35 plus $3 tax).
    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4001932?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG ).

    Am I such an unusual thing in the world that I buy from a local store?

    Maybe that's the real reason I'm so sour on the good-for-nothing
    battery packs.

    Realization hurts,
    Susan H.

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 12, 2005
  10. Not every battery on Ebay is stolen or otherwise tainted goods.

    A very large percentage of the items on Ebay - perhaps as much as to
    80% of Ebay sales - is actually legitimate business. To help make it
    safer for you do do business with Ebay, currently law enforcement is
    spending millions to combat the growing use of Ebay for fraudulent
    activities. If we don't, the theieves will outnumber the honest
    citizens within just a few years.

    Ebay management is actually frustrating these efforts - so - if you
    have the opportunity to vote for legistation to regulate online
    auctions - please consider what is really out there.

    Please support high-tech crime enforcement legislation.

    ocifermcgruff, Jun 12, 2005
  11. Just what we don't need more laws. Guess you love the Patriot act to?

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jun 12, 2005
  12. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    The Real Bev Guest

    No it doesn't, actually. CF Type I is the ordinary CF card which is 3.3mm
    thick. Microdrives are CF Type II and are 5mm thick. There is no way I could
    stuff a card 1.7mm thicker into the slot on my Nikon CP800 camera.

    From
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/Storage_Card_01.htm :

    ================================
    CompactFlash
    CompactFlash is a proven and reliable format compatible with many devices and
    generally ahead of other formats in terms of storage capacity. Capacities
    above 2.2 GB require that your camera supports "FAT32". CompactFlash comes in
    Type I and II which only differ in thickness (3.3mm and 5.0mm) with Type I
    being the most popular for flash memory, while Type II is used by microdrives.

    Microdrives
    Pioneered by IBM, microdrives are minute hard disks that come in CompactFlash
    Type II format and typically offer larger storage capacities at a cheaper cost
    per megabyte. However, CompactFlash has been catching up with higher capacity
    cards. Microdrives use more battery power, create more heat (which can result
    in more noise) and have a higher risk of failure because they contain moving
    parts.
    ==================================

    The Real Bev, Jun 12, 2005
  13. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, plenty havent noticed how the world has moved on on that.

    Rod Speed, Jun 12, 2005
  14. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    Why do you insist on AAA batteries? I am an avid photographer and AAA
    batteries, even the best rechargeable batteries suck for digital
    photography. They are too bulky and need too frequent recharges. If you
    drop that requirement, you might find some of the Panasonic cameras to
    your liking, although I am not sure which digital memory cards they use.

    Shawn Hearn, Jun 12, 2005
  15. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bob Ward Guest

    I use an Olympus 8080WZ, shooting 200-300 pictures per day, and I've
    never run out of power rotating two of the special-purpose batteries.

    Bob Ward, Jun 12, 2005
  16. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    karoniconia Guest

    You get 150 shots per battery! Amazing!
    I get about 50 on my camera (almost all if not all with flash indoors
    as I work for a floral arrangement shop).

    I tried to look up on dpreview how many shots per battery on the
    Olympus 8080 a test user gets but I can not find this information (even
    in the battery life section). Does dpreview actually test the shots per
    battery?

    Going to consumer reports I paid the subscription fee just now and
    found accidentally a good article on battery chargers while I was
    looking up how many shots the Olympus 8080 gets typically. They got 120
    high resolution shots with a brand new fully charged battery with the
    LCD display turned off and the flash used for only 60 of those 120
    shots. This jives with you although you must be using a very fresh set
    of batteries because I don't get nearly that from my camera.

    Did I miss the spot on dpreview where they do a nice tabular summary of
    the camera test results including the number of shots per battery?

    karoniconia, Jun 12, 2005
  17. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    karoniconia Guest

    I don't think ANYONE here is suggesting AAA batteries.
    Maybe I'm wrong but AAA batteries are about half the power of AA at the
    same cost as AA.

    I also don't think any argument is for a specific size per se, just
    that it be single cell and standard size and readily available at no
    worse than two or three dollars per battery. That could be D for
    example but it most likely is AA. (Or is there an A size battery on the
    market?)

    The clear reason for AA is summed up nicely by my new subscription to
    consumer reports shown below as economy & convenience & that one last
    shot at the sunset of the day when your proprietary battery is deader
    than a doornail yet your robust handful of AAs is still going strong.

    "In our tests, neither type of battery had a clear performance
    advantage. The best-performing cameras offer upward of 300 shots on a
    charge, while the worst manage only about 50. We think it's more
    convenient to own a camera that accepts AA batteries. You can buy
    economical, rechargeable cells (plus a charger) and drop in a set of
    disposable lithium or alkaline batteries if the rechargeables run down
    in the middle of the day's shooting."

    karoniconia, Jun 12, 2005
  18. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    karoniconia Guest

    Consumer reports lists plenty of 110v/240v chargers and 110/12v NiMH
    battery chargers.

    How could you have missed all these major manufacturers listed in their
    2003 report. Most charge four AA batteries in an hour according to the
    report.

    Energizer CH1HRCP-4 110v/240v
    Duracell CEF80NC 110v/240v
    Kodak Max 1 Hour Charger 868-8723 110v/240v
    Rayovac PS4 110v/12v
    PowerEx MH-C401FS-DC 110v/12v

    They reported in that article that rechargeable NiMH AA batteries are
    for digital cameras "by far the most economical to use" with a cost per
    photo of .015 cents (1.5 cents per 100 photos). The "one" drawback to
    NiMH batteries in cameras they said was they lose 1% of their charge
    each day on the shelf. I just keep mine in the charger all day until I
    need them and I rotate out those on the shelf.

    For those who insist batteries have nothing to do with digital camera
    choices should read the following quote.

    "Digital cameras run the gamut of size, shape, and price. But they
    share one trait--a thirst for power that makes the choice of battery
    critical."

    karoniconia, Jun 12, 2005
  19. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Paul Rubin Guest

    CU is ignorant about digital cameras just like it's ignorant about
    everything else with complex technology.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 12, 2005
  20. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    I don't own an 8080; maybe one day if I'm lucky :)

    I do have many other Oly's though; and each of them isn't
    hardly warmed up and ready to go at 50 shots...

    Is it possible something's wrong there? Old batts on their
    last legs? Small capacity older cells? Not really properly
    charging?

    Just my 2 cents, but I suspect looking into.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jun 12, 2005