    Bob Ward Guest

    The microdrive fits in a Compact Flash slot. There is only one size
    of those, as my cite below spells out.

    Bob Ward, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Mike Henley wrote:
    []

    Uniross trustworthy? Ha! I rate them as among the lower end of the
    range. Cheap and nasty chargers (fixed time). Last time I bought three
    sets of 4 2100mAh AAs at least two of the cells were faulty and I could
    only get two good sets of 4 from them (yes, the shop refunded me).
    Doesn't say much for their quality control, does it?

    Thank goodness for quality Li-ion batteries such as those made by Hahnel
    (and others I'm sure).

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 11, 2005

  3. However, with the increased freedom that a P&S lens designer can have, it
    seems that you can make good wide-range zooms more easily and cheaply than
    for 35mm (D)SLRs, particularly if you limit the wide-angle end to 35mm
    rather than 28mm. There are a number of examples now on the market.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    DFS Guest

    The microdrive fits in a Compact Flash slot. There is only one size
    Not true.

    CF comes in two flavors, type I and type II. Microdrives are type two and
    will not fit into a type I slot. The type I (slimmer) media can be used in
    either a type I or type II slot.

    DS

    DFS, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sigh. WRONG!
    There are type I and type II. The Microdrive TypeII, and requires a
    slightly thicker 1.1mm thicker, card, and thus a bit wider opening.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    MarkH Guest

    You're showing your age, we are now living in a disposable society.
    Everyone (nearly anyway) expects their new TV, Video, Digital Camera,
    Cell phone, CD Player, DVD Player, Computer, etc - to be superseded
    within a short time and to be replaced in 2 - 10 years (depending on
    which item we are talking about).

    You talk about typical consumers not being internet savvy and not
    shopping around for the cheap batteries, this is most likely true. But
    it would also be true that typical consumers won't expect their digital
    camera to still be in use in 15 years.

    In my case I hope to get a good 5 years of use out of my 10D, and to
    take a lot of photos in that time. So far I have taken 17000 photos in
    2 years, if I had done that with a film camera then it would have cost
    me much more in film and processing to take the same amount of pics (3-4
    x as much). I have decided not to upgrade to the 20D and may not
    upgrade to the next camera after that, but I am sure that I will at
    least get the camera that follows on after that.

    But in many ways I agree with you, I would hate to have to buy
    proprietary batteries for everything I own. It's bad enough that I need
    proprietary batteries for my Cell phone, Camera, Shaver, Toothbrush,
    Mouse and Pocket PC. Luckily I can use standard (AAA, AA, C or D cells)
    batteries in my cordless phone, Canon Speedlite, remote controls,
    several torches, digital wallet and other mouse. Many items come with
    the battery and it will probably be good for 3 or more years, but I own
    way too many chargers, it's flippin' ridiculous.

    MarkH, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    John Bean Guest

    That's rather a misleading generalisation David. Uniross are
    certainly not the best in the market but they're not junk.
    The Uniross quick charger I have is certainly not "fixed
    time", far from it. And the 2000mAH batteries that came with
    it perform better than other similarly rated batteries I
    have from other manufacturers like Panasonic.
    Maybe I got lucky, maybe you got unlucky. I've used a lot of
    Uniross products over a 30-year period and they seem to be
    no worse than most, better than some, and generally well
    priced.

    John Bean, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    MarkH Guest

    No, to me it is just a hobby.
    Nowhere near a typical day. On a busy day I might shoot 200-500 frames,
    but I have only averaged about 8000 shots a year (so I once did a third of
    the years shooting on one day).

    I paid about $30 each for a couple of Power 2000 batteries from B&H, still
    only a third of the cost of the genuine Canon batteries in this country.

    MarkH, Jun 11, 2005
  9. I'm simply reporting my own rating and experience, John, not attempting a
    generalisation. I'm glad to hear the Uniross product range has improved
    since I bought mine, and thanks for reporting your experiences. I still
    have the impression that they are built down to a price rather than up to
    a quality level.

    I have recently bought Hahnel products and can recommend those.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 11, 2005
  10. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Celcius Guest

    Why AA bateries?
    Chargers for AA's come as 110 volt. If you travel to Europe or South
    America, you need a 220 V charger.
    However, AA chargers don't accomodate bi-voltage, at least it didn't when I
    was asking about it a year ago...
    In the case of dedicated single cell batteries as my Canon's, the charger
    works on any current. All you need is a small inexpensive adaptor for the
    pins.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jun 11, 2005
  11. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    John Bean Guest

    Hahnel are good. I've used them for replacements for Nikon,
    Panasonic and Minolta batteries and in all cases they were
    as good (or better) than the originals and half the price.

    John Bean, Jun 11, 2005
  12. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    John Bean Guest

    You asked in the wrong places then. There are numerous
    chargers available that will work from almost any supply
    including 12VDC car supplies. The cheapest simple chargers
    don't usually do this of course but you're wrong in assuming
    that none of them do.

    John Bean, Jun 11, 2005
  13. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    ASAAR Guest

    I guess I'm one of the exceptions. TVs tend to be replaced only
    when they die, usually after at least 15 years of service. I won't
    even mention the version of the Windows OS that's running in my
    computer with it's 190 Mhz CPU. Most PDAs these days have faster
    CPUs and a number of them have more memory than my computer. :)
    Cell phone? Mine is old enough that it still uses NiMH batteries,
    has a monochrome screen and lacks all of the exciting audio and
    video features common these days. I do try to keep current with CD
    players and digital cameras though. :)

    Yes, and my preference for using AA batteries isn't completely
    rigid. For instance, I noticed people here recently discussing the
    sudden drop in the price of the Olympus C8080, enough to save (I'm
    guessing) $400 to $500 over what they sold for a year or two ago.
    That's enough to cover the cost of lithium batteries for a good
    number of years, even if only the most expensive ones are bought.
    And I'm sure that anyone buying one today will probably be able to
    get a far more capable camera 5 years from now for about the same
    price. But it still would be nice is some manufacturer made an
    inexpensive battery shell for it that would hold enough AAA NiMH
    batteries to allow it to operate 10 years from now when I assume its
    regular Li-ion batteries will no longer be available. So operating
    time using the AAAs might be only 15% or 20% as long, but that
    would be enough for an antique. :)

    Same here. What I save by not buying Li-ion batteries I waste by
    buying more NiCad/NiMH chargers. :) Too bad that Osama fella tossed
    a spanner into the works. I was really counting on someday having
    tiny, non-replaceable atomic batteries keeping cameras and other
    toys powered forever. I guess that's out of the question now.

    ASAAR, Jun 11, 2005
  14. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    ASAAR Guest

    Ah, good to see I understated the amount. I wasn't sure what the
    exact price was, but tried to use a conservative estimate. I like
    Power2000's NiMH AA batteries ($19.95 for a 10-pack from J&R, 2500
    mah). The proprietary NiMH battery pack I eventually got for my
    Canon Powershot was made by Maxell, and at $20 was also about 1/3 of
    Canon's original price. And guess what's inside the Canon and
    Maxell cases? Three AAA NiMH cells, although they're the welded tab
    variety. :)

    ASAAR, Jun 11, 2005
  15. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Celcius Guest

    Hi John!

    Thanks for telling me, but I wrote companies directly and was told there was
    no such a thing.
    Could you point me to one, please?
    Thanks,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jun 11, 2005
  16. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    John Bean Guest

    No problem Marcel. This isn't a particularly recommended
    one, it just happens to be the first hit off Google:

    http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/product-features.asp?id=964587784

    You'll find lots more if you look for them - Google is your
    friend ;-)

    John Bean, Jun 11, 2005
  17. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Big Bill Guest

    That's one of the reasons there's no rule saying you're only allowed
    to own *one* battery for each device. :)
    If experience or forethought says your only battery might go flat
    during use, the solution is to buy another battery or more.
    Why do those who insist that AAs are better because they already own a
    bunch of sets of them not apply the same logic to other types?

    Big Bill, Jun 11, 2005
  18. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Big Bill Guest

    Running out of batteries (or charge) is a unhiversal problemthat's
    easily fixable,without the need to use AAs.
    The ability to remedy a problem that continues to crop up *because of
    a lack of recognition* of that problem is nice, but it's far better to
    recognize the problem *beforehand* and plan for it.
    IOW, the fascination for AAs here as a solution to a problem seems to
    be rought about by a lack of ability to ensure the problem doesn't
    occur. In my case, using a Digital Rebel/300D, I have *NEVER* run out
    of battery charge. Why? Because I plan ahead, not because of using
    AAs. It's isn'thard, isn't very expensive, and is no problem at all.
    True, I can't lend any AAs to British tourists who don't plan ahead,
    but that really doesn't ruin my day.

    Big Bill, Jun 11, 2005
  19. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Big Bill Guest

    When I had an Oly 3030, I used a small 6v gell cell battery as a
    battery pack. I got a nylon camera case that fit it, and carried it on
    my belt. A home-made cable connected to the power jack, and it would
    power the camera all day easily, even in museums where flash use was
    the norm.
    Definitely better than a pocket full of AAs.

    Big Bill, Jun 11, 2005
  20. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Ron Guest

    Don't know where you live Marcel, but I would think that any large
    computer or store such as Wal-mart, Target, Radio Shack (Tandy), etc.
    would have them. I personally like a tiny Panasonic purchased at BJ's
    here in the US. Now that I think about it, I believe that every one of
    my chargers purchased over the years has dual voltage capacity.

    Aha, I think that what has happened is that the people who answered your
    inquiry were thinking of the PLUG, not the actual voltage. You do need
    to purchase a plug adapter (which is dirt cheap) if, for example, you
    take a US-purchased charger to Europe. But they, too, are available
    everywhere, either singly or as part of an overall package which would
    include a voltage regulator to use with foreign voltage for those
    products which do not have dual voltage capability.

    Happy hunting.

    /ron

    Ron, Jun 11, 2005