    down, I suspect!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    jkutti2000 Guest

    jkutti2000, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill 2 Guest

    I wouldn't pop in alkalines, camera would kill them in short order. I'd at
    least try to find one time use lithium batteries.

    Bill 2, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Renato Guest

    Fuji Finepix S7000.
    Renato

    Renato, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Cheesehead Guest

    Pentax istD with battery grip
    or
    Pentax isdDS/DL (but they use SD)

    Just add zoom/macro lens.

    What I was looking for, when considering p&s digitals, was the hot
    shoe.
    All the other things seems superfluous -- they can be exchanged or
    dealt with.
    But the hot shoe provides a lighting interface. Few have it.

    Colln

    Cheesehead, Jun 10, 2005
  6. The newer Powershot S2 IS ($480 at B&H Photovideo) is 5 Mp, 12x zoom, but
    uses SD card rather than CF. To my mind, the biggest digital bang for the
    buck.

    Charles Gillen, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Hmmmn ... what is microdrive?

    Consumer Reports lists the $515 6MP Fuji FinePix S7000 (#39 on the July
    2005 ratings chart) as:
    - AA batteries = YES
    - excellent photo quality = YES
    - 7x optical zoom = NO (6x might be acceptable though)
    - Compact Flash media = NO (xD & microdrive - whatever that is)

    However, DP Reviews ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000 )
    lists the $550 6MP Fuji FinePix S7000 (January 2004) as:
    · Slot 1: xD-Picture Card
    · Slot 2: Compact Flash Type I or Type II (IBM Microdrive compatible)

    So, I'm confused again. Did I do the wrong initial research?
    I passed over the Fuji Finepx S7000 because it was xD and microdrive
    (but not CF); but it appears microdrive might be the SAME as CF so why
    didn't CR say so?

    I'm confused,
    Susan Henderson

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 10, 2005
  8. Susan (Graphic Artist) wrote:
    []
    A CF slot will accept a compact flash card, and a type II CF slot which is
    a little thicker, and the norm these days, will accept both a CF (memory
    card) and a microdrive (miniature hard disk, with moving parts).

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 10, 2005
  9. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    The Real Bev Guest

    The Real Bev, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    The Real Bev Guest

    The Real Bev, Jun 10, 2005
  11. A microdrive is an electromechincal device that when you drop it you
    loss all the data on it. An obsolete technology best forgotten.

    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7008

    Microdrive R.I.P.

    "Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely,
    according to conscience, above all liberties."

    Milton
    from
    "The Liberty of Unlicensed Printing"
    1644

    John A. Stovall, Jun 10, 2005
  12. I'm hoping not to. :)
    Actually it doesn't have to be AA; just standard-size rechargable.
    I have tons of CostCo Ni-MH (2 bucks each, Panasonic 2300 mAh AAs).
    I use fill flash on EVERY shot; I only do portraits; I snap about 25
    photos a day on average but when I'm somewhere, I take upwards of 300 a
    day, again, all with fill-flash on every single shot (to illuminate or
    lessen harsh shadows).
    I'm sick and tired of proprietary chargers, carrying them past snooping
    airport screeners, bringing power strips into the hotel room just to
    plug them all in, forgetting them and getting only 1 day of shots for a
    two-week vacation, etc.
    Yes. But every year an internal cell goes bad and we have to purchase
    another $75 proprietary battery pack (throwing the old one in the
    trash). I'm sick and tired of the battery-packs going dead on me within
    a year. Of course, AA's go dead too, but, I have dozens of 'em and I
    can easily replace it on the fly with alkalines whenever I'm in a
    crush.
    Very nice site! I did not know about that. If I combine the Consumer
    Reports and DP Review reviews with this newsgroup's advice, that should
    get us the correct answer (each one correcting for the others'
    foibles).
    Then it's out of the picture. :)
    There's a reason I list AA above image quality. It's not negotiable. :)
    Neither is image quality, mind you ... my first four requirements are:
    - standard batteries
    - image quality
    - reasonable zoom (stabilization was a factor I unknowingly omitted)
    - compact flash (I'm still unsure why CR lists microdrive and not CF
    for some cameras as the help on DP Review says they are basically the
    same thing in the one direction I want to go).

    I'd assume these are pretty common requirements as there is nothing
    wierd or out of the ordinary about this. Notice I didn't even mention
    megapixels (obviously the more the better the enlargement) or cost
    (obviously the lower the better) or other features (which are important
    too but it's just too difficult to compare more than 4 requirements
    when all the cameras in the world are in the running for the first
    cut). I'm still amazed that only three (now maybe four with the 6x Fuji
    S7000 with microdrive addition) cameras on earth meet these four very
    simple (and very common, I'd guess) needs. :(
    Thank you (and everyone!). It is sad to say there is only one or two
    (maybe s many as four) cameras which even come close to meeting these
    four very simple requirements (standard batteries, excellent quality,
    7x zoom, & CF media).

    Susan Henderson

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 10, 2005
  13. On 10 Jun 2005 09:05:01 -0700, "Susan (Graphic Artist)"

    snipped
    The Canon 20D when fitted with a BG-E2 grip will take AA batteries.

    John A. Stovall, Jun 10, 2005
  14. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I still have an Olympus E-100RS that has all those.
    Oh, you mean 5 simple goals.
    Make that six simple goals.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 10, 2005
  15. I was wonderin' why there was only 1 or 3 cameras on earth which
    satisfied what I thought was a very simple and universally held set of
    4 needs ...
    I'm sick and tired of proprietary battery packs going bad or forgetting
    them or forgetting the charger or carrying them all around or plugging
    them in or bringing european adaptors or buying hugely expensive
    75-dollar batteries in a rush without being able to shop for price ...

    Same thing with the memory cards (although not as vehement :) ... I
    already have the CF PCMCIA adapters (albeit these are inexpensive) in
    all my laptops (I never use wires or software to transfer photos to the
    laptop hard drive) and I already have a huge investment in 8Mbyte, 32
    Mbyte, 128 Mbyte, 256 Mbyte, 512 Mbyte and now 1 Gbyte compact flash
    cards (which have served me well over the years for a variety of
    electronic needs). I have no desire to change formats just like I don't
    switch from the PC to Linux to the MAC (and all that entails) for ever
    piece of software I download to edit photos.
    I should have made it clear that the only reason for CF is that I chose
    CF and it has served me well over the years and I don't want to have to
    mix media all over again. Funny ... in a way it's the same as the
    battery problem. I wish the manufacturers would just standardize on a
    single format and be done with it. Like with PC USB 2.0 compatibility,
    if someone wanted a secondary format, they could support BOTH and we'd
    all benefit from a little bit of engineering. As stated, CF isn't that
    BIG compared to the other formats.
    I use PCMCIA adapters for the Compact Flash media (all laptops in my
    house).
    (Yes, I *know* they use proprietary batteries!)
    Do they even make a PCMCIA adaptor that handles all card types?
    Agreed. I use Ni-MH batteries from CostCo.
    I only count on disposable alkaline AAs for emergency use.
    That's the fundamental beauty of the AA batteries in the first place!

    Susan Henderson

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 10, 2005
  16. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    tomm101 Guest

    I understand your frustration but I have 2 comments.
    The AA battery thing, yes you can find them everywhere BUT they are
    generally alkalines or worse standard carbon cells, both having
    terrible battery life with digital cameras . The propritaary batteries
    on my Nikon 995 last 300-400 shots, the off brand ones I got at B&H
    being better than the Nikon ones.
    The second comment is on 7X zooms, there is a good chance to get aa
    lens with lens distortion at either end. P&S cameras never have a wide
    enough wide either (yes that is my opinion).
    What would I do, a low end DSLR with a kit lens (Nikons are better
    here) and a 70 to 200 (maybe 300) zoom. Better pics, less noise at high
    ISO (even noticable at ISO 200 on most 8mp zooms), RAW or jpg options.
    Hope you find something that makes you happy.

    Tom

    tomm101, Jun 10, 2005
  17. I just paid $75 for a camcorder battery (Everready Energizer ER-C620)
    for my JVC camcorder and I'm on my fourth or fifth $60 battery for my
    Nikon CoolPix 5700 so I just might beg to differ with you on that
    point. :) Multi-cell battery packs are highly unreliable (so are AAs
    but you can easily swap a bad cell out), especially due to reverse
    polarity issues killing the entire pack within a year or two.

    Besides the cost, there's the fact that I'm way more likely to be stuck
    without juice with the proprietary batteries than with standard-size
    batteries.

    And, besides the cost and fact my camera is useless for lack of juice,
    there's the wide assortment of chargers, wires, and plugs I have to
    deal with (as a camera isn't my only electronic stowaway when I
    frequently travel).

    I just can't believe there are from 1 to 4 cameras on earth which
    satisfy these simple requirements (standard batteries, quality photos,
    decent zoom, and standard media).

    But, I do appreciate all the advice ... you're helping me ... and
    others.
    Susan Henderson

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 10, 2005
  18. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    jkutti2000 Guest

    BTW,, u can get the fuji s3000 for 150 -200 .. BRAND NEW to
    refurbished.. try matching that BANG for your buck

    - AA batteries = YES
    - excellent photo quality = YES
    - 7x optical zoom = NO (6x might be acceptable though)
    - Compact Flash media = NO .. xD..( which is superfast in
    processing data).

    jkutti2000, Jun 10, 2005
  19. I didn't even KNOW it existed! Maybe this is the ticket.
    Especially since the 3MP S1 IS is kind'a limited on enlargements.
    Oh. Oh. Bummer. It loses. SD is not acceptable for the reasons stated
    prior.
    Now 'yer talking!
    Let me check this out.
    For some reason, Consumer Reports lists this camera as xD & microdrive
    but not compact flash. I'll need to check up on that as this confuses
    me as I see on DPreview that it takes SD and microdrive.

    If I use CF, will it fit in something labeled as "microdrive" but not
    CF?

    Confused,
    Susan Henderson

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 10, 2005
  20. Wow. Can you get me a handful of those seven-dollar proprietary
    batteries for my Nikon CoolPix 5700 and my JVC DVL-805U camcorder?

    I paid upwards of 50 to 75 dollars for MY proprietary batteries.
    And, they always go dead within a year or two; so I'm constantly buying
    more, typically in an emergency situation where I drive all day in
    Germany to find a battery to fit.

    Amazed,
    Susan Henderson

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 10, 2005