    Obviously, the right choice (IMO) is to have the capability to output
    DVDs in wither + or -. Those who can't read either are Luddites, and
    not worthy of consideration! :)

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005

  2. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    Not if your target audience doesn't have those top-of-the-line
    players.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005

  3. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    I'm not (obviously).
    I'm not trying to do "highest quality" video; most comes from an older
    Elura 2 camera, or from TV.
    If you've never tried it, but have instead relied on the
    recommendations of elitist perfectionists ("*MY* system is better than
    yours; just look at the specs!") instead of seeing for yourself what
    will get what you need, you really don't know what's best for
    yourself, much less for others.
    No offense, but I've read many video forums (fora?), and I've seen
    those who tell others what they must do, with little regard for what's
    wanted.
    My method is priced right for me, and gets the results I want.
    If I had better video input, things would probably change. Probably.
    The problem remains, though, that delivering more than your target
    audience wants (or even can use) is a waste of time and effort.
    Personally, using Studio 9, I can't see a difference between working
    with a AVI file, or an MPEG file (I have two Dazzles; one of the
    originals that outputs AVI, and an "A" model, that outputs MPEG
    files).
    Depends on the target audience.
    For my Geek friends, I will often use highest quality data files; they
    can play them on their monitors with better results.
    For others, for whom this is black magic, they get a Video DVD to
    match their set-top player.
    Again, the target audience determines what I do.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  4. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Rod Speed Guest

    They're so cheap that it makes a lot more sense to get
    them if the DVDs are only going to a few individuals.

    Rod Speed, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    I agree.
    It's like watching your brother's four hour slide show from his trip
    to Yellowstone.
    I *like* Yellowstone. It's a great place to visit. But someone else's
    four hour slideshow is just too much.
    A half-hour edited slideshow with an exciting narrative is *MUCH*
    better.
    Same with family photos and videos.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  6. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Paul Rubin Guest

    You mean with 80 minute tapes and recording at reduced speed. Yeah I
    guess you can record for 2 hours that way, but with hi-8 you can
    record for 6 hours (180 minute tape at half speed) if you're willing
    to make such sacrifices.
    No, not as good. But I'm not terribly fussy about video quality for
    now, so I stay with hi-8 anyway.

    Actually, I gather that the main disadvantage of reduced speed with
    mini-dv is that the tapes won't reliably play except in the camera
    that recorded them. But if you're going to transfer the tapes to DVD
    as soon as you get home, that lack of interoperability between cameras
    may not be a big problem.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Kitt Guest

    Well, this thread got pretty long and a bit OT, so I hope nobody else
    said this (especially me, because I post and forget I did it), but if
    you're satisfied with 3 megapixels as "good" photo quality, the Canon
    S1 IS does just what you list and throws in the image stabilization as
    a bonus. The IS goes quite a ways toward making up for the lack of
    pixels. If you don't print anything beyond 8x10's or use it mostly for
    online viewing, you'll be happy.

    Another alternative is a DSLR with a couple VR/IS lenses if your wallet
    is fat and you're willing to forego the 'AA' requirement as I learned
    to do. I have a Kodak with a piece of crap battery pack and swore I'd
    never do it again. Well, when I bought the Nikon D70, I made that one
    concession and I sure am glad I did. I got one Nikon battery and very
    compact and quick charger (two or three hours, I think, since I've
    never really timed it) that gives me 300 to 700 exposures per battery,
    depending on variables like LCD display use and flash use. I bought a
    couple generics on EBay for about ten dollars a piece and I've never
    looked back. I still use the AA's for a flash gun and other cameras,
    MP3 player and gadgets, so they're not wasted. I found a quick charger
    (1/2 hour) for the AA's that closes up very small, so I can carry two
    extra battery packs, eight AA's and two chargers in one divider in my
    backpack.

    Anyway, you have options, especially if you make a concession or two on
    your list of wants. (SD is pretty cheap now too and if you concede
    that, you can go with the Canon S2 IS which is five megapixels with
    better low light performance and faster. That would also open you up
    to some other P&S alternatives with IS.)

    Kitt, Jun 22, 2005
  8. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    SoCalMike Guest

    pretty much. im guilty of the same thing... making crap movies, then
    instead of editing them and putting only the GOOD stuff on the DVD,
    *everything* goes on the DVD. then it never gets watched :(

    the ideal situation would be to be able to get a years worth of GOOD
    stuff on one DVD... like "best of 2005"

    SoCalMike, Jun 22, 2005
  9. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    SoCalMike Guest

    eh- the DVD option is nice for stuff you want to share, or you know
    youll want to see again but you dont want it staying on the hard drive.

    SoCalMike, Jun 22, 2005
  10. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yeah, I still do that for the pathetic dinosaur stuck on dialup.
    I dont ever watch stuff more than once.

    I did keep a few things on VCR but never did watch them again.

    Rod Speed, Jun 22, 2005
  11. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Ida Guest

    All of those cameras seem fine. If you are looking to buy any one of
    those cameras frugally, www.livinginstyleonline.com. click on
    electronics picture on home page and view those brandsMany of those
    brands are on discount.

    Ida, Jun 22, 2005
  12. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    No, 60 minute tapes; LP on that camera is 120 minutes.
    I am under the impression this is a standard option on MiniDV cameras.
    I only have the one, but when I bought it, I remember this being a
    standard option on these cameras. It isn't anymore? (I'm not in the
    market, so I haven't been keeping track.)
    I've only got the one video cam, so that's not a problem!

    That's what I do; I transfer to the computer, and store the tapes as
    an original. I have no idea how long they will last in normal (in my
    room) storage, but it seems like a good thing to have the originals
    around. It may turn out to *not* be a good thing. :-(
    Once in the computer, and mpeg can be put on DVD for (probably much
    more secure) storage, and the video can then be edited and processed
    afterwards.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  13. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    I do not presume to tell others what to buy for their own use.
    I have found a great reluctance on the part of non-geeks to spend
    money to replace something that works as they want it to.
    I dare say that I am not alone in this.
    Obviously my target audience is different from yours.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  14. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Rod Speed Guest

    More fool you if you give them DVDs much.
    Wrong again.

    Rod Speed, Jun 22, 2005
  15. No, it's even worse. At least, each of the shots in the slide show was
    captured at a moment when your brother's brain that that what was going
    on might possibly make an interesting picture. The photographer might
    find all of them worth looking at, at least for a second each, though he
    shouldn't expect anyone else to feel the same way.

    But when a video camera is set up to capture half an hour of the kids
    playing (for example), you can guarantee that *most* of the frames
    captured contain nothing of interest, nothing that a still photographer
    would think worthy of moving their shutter finger for. It's enough to
    put even the photographer to sleep, let alone anyone else watching.

    Video has to be edited to be worth watching.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 22, 2005
  16. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    More fool you if you think to presume to tell others what they should
    do.
    Really?
    I seriously doubt that.
    But I notice that this is a trait of yours; belittle with nothing to
    explain your response.
    Probably because your intent is not to illuminate or enlighten, but
    rather to insult.
    Given that presumption on my part, your input will be considered in
    thaqt light.
    IOW, you're full of shit.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  17. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    Didn't I say that?
    I thought I did.
    Yup, I did: "Same with family photos and videos."
    Maybe a quoting slip?

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  18. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Rod Speed Guest

    More fool you if you dont realise that the non-geeks often
    doesnt realise what makes most sense with stuff like DVD players.
    Yes, really. My 'target audience' with DVDs I do to
    give to others is likely identical, almost all non-geeks
    You problem.
    Obvious lie.
    Corse you never ever do anything like that yourself with
    your stupid pig ignorant claim that Sue is a troll, eh ?
    Yours by me in spades.
    Any 2 year old could manage a better insult than that pathetic effort.

    Get one to help you before posting again. If anyone is
    actually stupid enough to let you anywhere near one.

    Rod Speed, Jun 22, 2005
  19. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    ASAAR Guest

    That was clear from his first message. I'm amazed that it has
    taken this long for his unwarranted trash talking to be noticed, at
    least in a reply.

    ASAAR, Jun 22, 2005
  20. Susan (Graphic Artist)

    Bill Funk Guest

    This is funny.
    You seem to think that you should tell others what they should buy,
    and think that those who don't think the way you do are too stupid to
    be allowed to make their own minds up?
    So they all let you make their decisions for them?
    Well, wait, this makes sense, actually.
    You surround yourself with idiots to make yourself feel like a god.
    Sure.
    Except above is an obvious example.
    Not so ignorant. She knows next to nothing, thinks CR is the last word
    on camera reviews, claims to take a huge amount of photographs yet
    knows of no way to find out, knows so little about what's available
    yet she actually takes the camera makers to task for not doing what
    she thinks they should do.
    Sounds like either a troll or an arrogant idiot.
    Which do you prefer?
    Yet, I manage to contribute much better than simple "wrong again"
    remarks.
    You wouldn't understaqnd anything more esoteric.
    Oh, wait:
    (Greek "esoterikos", "inner") beyond ordinary knowledge or
    understanding; hidden or inner knowledge reserved for initiates
    Ooh! I'm insulted now!

    Bill Funk, Jun 23, 2005