    Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?

    If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Guest

    Mike Dee Guest

    Search for Novell SuSE OpenExchange

    Mike Dee, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Guest

    Mike Dee Guest

    Oops, caveat: doesn't appear to be open source.

    Mike Dee, Feb 28, 2005
  4. using google.. with the search string
    exchange "open source"
    the very first return is...
    http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 28, 2005
  5. Guest

    Enkidu Guest

    No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    to Exchange. Yet.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Guest

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake Linux
    distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to have a look at
    Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    Why keep punishing yourself with the belief that air conditioners are like
    computers...They stop working when you open Windows. All your computer
    problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in favour of any one of the
    excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years I've been using Linux I have
    *never* caught a virus, trojan or spyware app, this alone is reason enough
    to use Linux without even getting into reliability and security issues.

    2c
    Peter

    Peter Lowrie, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Guest

    Chris Hope Guest

    Kontact and Ximian Evolution are email applications similar to Outlook
    or Outlook Express. Exchange is a mail server that users connect to to
    get their mail, address books, book meeting times and resources etc.
    Kontact and Ximian Evolution are *not* anything like Exchange.

    Chris Hope, Feb 28, 2005
  8. Guest

    cobs Guest

    MS Exchange is a mail server / groupware solution. It can be used with
    clients like Outlook, or even Evolution (not sure if you need to pay for
    the connector).

    If you're going to climb onto that mighty soap box, you should make sure
    you do up your fly first :)

    cobs, Feb 28, 2005
  9. Guest

    E. Guest

    Got to sourceforge.net. use the search term 'groupware' and basically
    pick one.
    E.

    E., Feb 28, 2005
  10. Guest

    Gurble Guest

    And you obviously have no idea about what Exchange can do.
    Blah, blah, blah. I know what you're saying, but get real. Some people
    prefer Linux. Some people prefer Windows. Some people use both (like
    myself), the right tool for the right job.

    Honestly, you Linux nutters are worse than Mormons...

    Gurble, Feb 28, 2005
  11. Guest

    Dorado Guest

    I have to agree with you there... I use both as well (Windows & Linux that
    is).. each has its advantages over the other in particular situations..
    Anyone who thinks one is superior to the other in every way it either
    1) not educated in both to be able to know how to use the them properly
    or
    2) an idiot

    Dorado, Feb 28, 2005
  12. Guest

    Adder Guest

    of course Lol

    who neesd eschange just use Imap for mail it stays on the server and no
    need for expensive software

    Adder, Feb 28, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I use Novell Evolution as my main email client, and I thought that Kontact
    was a client rather than a server.

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 28, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm thinking more about the colaboration aspects of Exchange, because I am
    already running my own web and email servers.

    Divine

    --
    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
    and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful

    Guest, Feb 28, 2005
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the info, Cliff (et al.).

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 28, 2005
  16. ouch man, thats pretty harsh.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005
  17. ok then, thats the mail side of it... now wheres the rest?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005
  18. Guest

    AD. Guest

    Not yet as such. Lotus Notes/Domino and Novell Groupwise are the only real
    products that do as much as or more than Exchange and they aren't open
    source. Anyway I find Notes/Domino such a pain that I prefer Exchange ;)

    There are a few open source calendar sharing type systems, but they are
    generally clunky and have limited choices for clients. The whole area has
    suffered from a lack of standard protocols and formats, but that seems to
    be changing these days.
    I have high hopes for this new one (although I haven't tried it yet):

    http://www.hula-project.org/Hula_Server

    It's not a full Exchange replacement but it should take care of the
    shared calendaring bit which is all most (not all by a long shot)
    Exchange users seem to use.

    Once someone writes an Outlook plugin for Hula, I would seriously consider
    dropping Exchange here. Then once that happens it should be much easier
    for users that don't want Outlook to switch to something else. But writing
    a good Outlook plugin is hard, and I don't expect a mature one for a while.

    AD., Feb 28, 2005
  19. Guest

    AD. Guest

    Aren't you confusing Exchange with Outlook? Pretty easy mistake to make
    for someone who has obviously never used it - probably confused by the
    Exchange client that came with Windows a decade ago. I say that as a KDE
    and Evolution user myself (Debian rather than Mandrake though).

    AD., Feb 28, 2005