    on a website like My Space or hi 5?

    Thanks,

    Cas

    Caseem, Apr 23, 2007

  2. Caseem

    Ed Ruf Guest

    No. The bottom line is if someone can see it they can grab it directly
    out of the browser cache of through a screen capture.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Apr 23, 2007

  3. Caseem

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, Apr 23, 2007
  4. Caseem

    Caseem Guest

    Yes, I understand that the image can be grabbed from the cache - I
    have done this myself. Most people however are not technical enough to
    know that though, which is good enough for me. Is there a way of
    locking it down within the browser window?

    Thanks for both posters who responded.

    Cas

    Caseem, Apr 23, 2007
  5. Yes-there must be, locking off the right mouse button's functions.Usually
    people use the right button "Save image"function.I have no idea how you can
    override this, but it must be done somehow.Very few people know actually to
    grab the picture off the cache, and this can't be overriden.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 23, 2007
  6. Caseem

    ray Guest

    Why not superimpose your copyright on the image? Then if folks do copy it
    they still have the copyright there. What exactly, are you trying to
    accomplish? If you want to sell copies, then put the images on the web at
    a resolution that would not lend itself well to printing.

    ray, Apr 23, 2007
  7. Caseem

    railfan Guest

    There must be a way to do this, I've been to a site where I tried to
    right click and copy an image and got a message stating "This function
    has been disabled". Don't recall where it was though.

    Bob B.
    Canada

    railfan, Apr 23, 2007
  8. *THAT* only stops the folks that have no clue on how to get around it.
    Clues abound.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Apr 23, 2007
  9. Caseem

    John Bean Guest

    Meaningless in the real world. It's done with a bit of
    javascript so it only works if you have your browser set to
    allow it. IE by default will display the message as will
    Firefox - but the latter actually has a user option
    specifically to ignore this, and even IE can be made to
    ignore it as well.

    It's possibly better than nothing but it's not at all
    secure.

    John Bean, Apr 23, 2007
  10. Caseem

    Joe Petolino Guest

    Let me answer your question with another question: if you publish a
    copyrighted image in a paper magazine, is there a way to keep people
    from clipping the picture out and hanging it on their refrigerator
    doors?

    I haven't taken a survey, but I think it's just a likely that someone
    will simply drag the image onto the desktop. The right button is not
    involved. And, as the first responder noted, you can alway take a
    screenshot of your browser window.

    You can use javascript to disable the right-button context menu, but
    that accomplishes little besides annoying your audience. There are
    many ways of saving an image file from a web page - using the context
    menu is just one of them.

    -Joe

    Joe Petolino, Apr 23, 2007
  11. Caseem

    Bill K Guest

    Bill K, Apr 23, 2007
  12. Nope; can't be done. For the image to be displayed on their monitor, a
    copy has to be sent to their computer.

    Simple common tricks like using javascript to disable the right-click
    menu don't delay anybody who actually wants to steal a copy of your
    photo in the slightest -- and annoy the rest of us to boot.

    There are some high-end commercial plugins that transmit the picture
    encrypted from a separate server to the plugin, using a special
    protocol, and then display the picture, but refuse to render a copy for
    the clipboard. For those you have to use screen capture, or maybe
    screen capture in a virtual machine session. But it's all easily
    defeatable.

    And it is very unlikely that any of your photos have any value in web
    resolution jpegs anyway. You're presumably putting them on the web to
    attract attention; you don't want to be sending your potential customers
    the message that you regard them as thieves.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 23, 2007
  13. Most people *who are interested in grabbing copies of things* have done
    the minimal research to learn those techniques, and many others.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 23, 2007
  14. And since I use the right-click menu to check image sizes, look for IPTC
    and EXIF data, etc., I find it quite annoying when it's disabled. I
    generally take the trouble to grab a copy and email it to the site owner.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 23, 2007
  15. Caseem

    Mardon Guest

    What do I need to install so that I can get access to IPTC & EXIF in a
    right-click context menu? I'd like to have that. Sounds very convenient.

    Mardon, Apr 23, 2007
  16. Caseem

    cgiorgio Guest

    Any data that is available via the internet can also be saved. To disable
    the right click might prevent a few internet newbies from saving just the
    images, but it is by no way efficient protection. Do not forget to put a
    copyright notice on each web page having pictures. You can watermark your
    pictures invisibly (can usually be removed by converting to another format
    like TIFF, and resizing) or still better put a visible copyright notice on
    them.

    cgiorgio, Apr 23, 2007
  17. What value is there in putting "a visible copyright notice" on
    them? It provides no protection, does not deter a thief and has
    no legal significance whatever.

    Floyd Davidson, Apr 23, 2007
  18. Caseem

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    If you use Firefox, there's an extension called FxIF:

    http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/fxif/

    I don't believe it shows IPTC information, though.

    Joe Makowiec, Apr 23, 2007
  19. Caseem

    Mardon Guest

    Thanks. I've installed FxIF to my Firefox browser. You're correct that it
    does not do IPTC. I wonder if there is one that does. Also, I use IE and
    Opera more than Firefox, so I wonder if there is a context menu plug-in for
    those browsers to show EXIF & IPTC?

    Mardon, Apr 23, 2007
  20. Caseem

    pjp Guest

    Doesn't matter about cache. You can always just press Printscreen which
    makes a copy of the entire desktop (Ctrl-Printscreen think is just active
    window) and places it in the clipboard. From there it's just paste into
    whatever. Much more commonly known and not easily circumvented.

    pjp, Apr 23, 2007