Is there a way to leave a date/time stamp on a photo with a Canon A70?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Anderson, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Is there setting for this?

    Bill Anderson, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Is there setting for this?

    No. The date that the photo was taken is in the EXIF information that is
    attached to the saved jpeg file. You can get photo printing software that will
    add this to your photo when you print it.

    Kerry Sanders, Dec 23, 2003

  3. << Is there setting for this? >>

    Bill-

    The only way I know of, is to buy a camera that has that option. My older
    cameras, including a Kodak DC-260, had that capability, but my newer ones
    merely write date and time to the image file as separate data. In every case
    I've seen it as an option, it was turned off by default, so no one needed to be
    "offended" who didn't want it!

    For documentation purposes, I believe the date-stamp is necessary. Depending
    on editing the image to add the information is not as reliable, and is more
    easily tampered with.

    I would base a decision to buy a camera on having date-stamp capability, if
    everything else was equal. However, all of the better cameras seem to have
    moved away from offering that option. With all the other fancy options
    offered, I can't understand why date-stamping isn't.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Bill Anderson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    And I regard putting a date on the image is similar to painting a
    mustache on the Mona Lisa! HORRORS. The place for a date stamp is on
    the BACK of the print, or on the file on the computer. Most cameras
    support EXIF data and the exact time and date (assuming one keeps his
    camera set correctly) can be read for each picture WITHOUT defacing the
    image.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Bill Anderson

    Hornbill Guest

    I strongly agree with Fred. Some people for reasons (presonal or otherwise)
    would like to have date stamped on the picture would be able to do it. And
    most if not all cameras that are able to deliver date documentation onto the
    picture itself can if required have to funtion turned off at will.

    Of course you can talk about the horror of having a mustache on Mona Lisa
    etc. But say an advertisement company wants to display two pictures of the
    same thing that looks different over a peroid of time. How simple if you
    have auto date stamp over it.

    A doctor treating a patient can take pictures of the lesion/problem as
    documentation at two different point in time to show the progress of the
    disease or the effect of treatment on the treatment.

    For coroners, and others requiring documention of scene, date and/or time
    function on the picture itself are of much help.

    There is nothing horrible about these!

    Hornbill, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Bill Anderson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It is to ME. The place for a date is on the back, or the margin. I
    REALLY liked the prints Fox Foto used to make of pictures with the white
    border and the date printed at the bottom. Defacing the image renders
    it useless for any artistic purpose.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 25, 2003