    not, what other software is good for newsgroups (free is preferred).

    Thanks
    KM

    kellym555, Oct 19, 2007

  2. Thunderbird has a newsreader. I use it.

    Stanley Eisen, Oct 19, 2007

  3. kellym555

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, in message <>,
    Yes -- Thunderbird. Thunderbird is also a newsreader.

    Look at the full headers of the messages in this newsgroup.
    You will see that many of the messages are posted with Thunderbird.
    Look for the "User-Agent:" header.

    While Thunderbird has newsgroups filters, you won't find them any better
    than Agent's at filtering spam and garbage on the newsgroups.

    To filter the spam and garbage, try one of these two choices

    A. Use an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
    garbage on the newsgroups.

    B. Get a news server that filters the spam and garbage for you.

    Get an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
    garbage on the newsgroups.

    nFilter

    (1) http://www.nfilter.org/ The download from here is one byte short.
    This causes problems on some versions of Windows.
    Try downloading from another mirror, such as

    (2) http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/
    (3) http://west.porterfield.net/nfilter/
    (4) http://troll-busters.0catch.com/gen/ [website uses Java]

    Mozilla has Thunderbird for newsgroups, and also SeaMonkey for newsgroups.

    Ralph Fox, Oct 19, 2007
  4. kellym555

    Chalky Guest

    You could try this one I find it very good and it is free
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    Chalky

    Chalky, Oct 19, 2007
  5. Thunderbird is a stand-alone mail/news client; the Seamonkey suite also
    has a mail/news component.

    John Thompson, Oct 20, 2007
  6. kellym555

    Charani Guest

    Get yourself a good news server. NIN is one such and that filters out
    the garbage before it ever reaches you. It's not a freebie but only
    cost about 10 euros a year. It's reliable too.

    (Disclaimer: no connections with NIN just a satisfied user and before
    anyone says why aren't I using it - it's on the other PC which my
    husband's using atm :)) )

    Charani, Oct 20, 2007