  1. Yeah, but "before jumpin in" strongly suggest, to me, that he's
    concerned about the *expense*. So IMHO the R-D1 is not a useful
    suggestion to give him.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Stoatgobbler

    Robert Haar Guest

    AS others have said, you can put the Nikon DSLRs into a manual mode. Many of
    the older (non-cpu) lenses will work this way, but not all.

    Check the compatibility chart from Nikon's web site at
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_
    faqid=57&p_sid=LLu8Iw_h&p_lva=13349&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHN
    vcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDgmcF9wcm9kcz0xOSw1NiZwX2NhdHM9fmFueX4mcF9wdj0yLjU2JnB
    fY3Y9MS5_YW55fiZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=#
    ..

    I know that is a terrible URL, but it is what comes out of navigating there.

    To navigate there, go to the Nikon USA web site (http://wwwnikonusa.com), go
    into Digital Cameras, then to Photo Support. Select DLSR and enter the
    search text 'What lenses can I use?"

    Robert Haar, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Outrageous is an _incredible_ understatement. A cheap body (the Cosina
    Bessa, which are rather uninspired cameras (the ones I've handled have had
    real problems with mechanical fit between moving parts, although the
    Cosina-made "Zeiss" lenses have gotten rave reviews) with an uninspired
    sensor. It would still be overpriced at the same price as the low-end SLRs.

    Part of the reason the above is so negative is that it's a good idea. Sigh.

    Also, now that the 5D is out, the US$3000 price tag is looking even more
    ridiculous; at the point it came out, its 6MP sensor was competitive with
    anything but the pro cameras, but that's getting to be a long time ago.

    By the way, there was a long article on using ultrawide lenses on it on the
    Luminous Landscape site; the review presented lots of tests, but I didn't
    have enough energy to figure out what they were trying to say.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Think of a digital camera as a case full of film and a free disposable
    camera to shoot it with. If you buy a case of film and don't shoot it, it's
    just as silly as buying a digital camera and not using it.

    The analogy is really quite close, since the sensor really does determine
    the characteristics of the camera.

    The good news is that lenses are just as forever as they ever were (I have
    an adapter on order that will let my use my Mamiya 645 lenses on my 5D, and
    as shift lenses, no less!).

    The obvious thing would be for someone to make a dSLR with interchangeable
    sensors. For example, I'd like a 5Dmk2 that gave me the option of a 16MP
    Bayer sensor and an 8MP monochrome sensor with no IR blocking filter.

    The problem with that is that the electronics are still in flux; the
    10D/300D generation of cameras was _much_ slower than the 20D/5D generation.
    Unlikely. Again, the sensor is already out of date.
    I still shoot a 1950's Rolleiflex TLR...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Stoatgobbler

    ASAAR Guest

    The latter isn't quite as silly. Memory cards don't need to be
    stored in a freezer, and if they did, wouldn't take up much space.

    It'll probably still be operable in 2050 (whether film is
    available or not), when most 5Ds and D50s are long gone.

    ASAAR, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Stoatgobbler

    Chris Dubea Guest

    Wow. Who pissed in your Wheaties? This post really added a
    significant amount to the discussion.
    Chris

    Chris Dubea, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Stoatgobbler

    A.Clews Guest

    Thus spake Robert Haar () unto the assembled multitudes:
    www.tinyurl.com is your friend ;-)

    A.Clews, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Stoatgobbler

    Stoatgobbler Guest

    The nearest I've found to the camera I'm after is the Leica
    Digilux/Panasonic LC1.

    I'm having a local camera shop get a LC1 in for me to have a look at.

    I can't find much on the net that says this is a bad camera (I know some
    will say spend the money on a SLR).

    Any one any experience of this camera?

    Stoatgobbler wrote

    Stoatgobbler, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Stoatgobbler

    miles Guest

    I have the Kodak P850. Both it and the P880 have manual focus, shutter,
    apature and quite a few automated modes as well.

    miles, Feb 12, 2006