    Peabody Guest

    I understand that Gimp is a freeware semi-equivalent of Photoshop,
    but is there a such an equivalent of Lightroom?

    Peabody, Feb 24, 2011

  2. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    not even close to semi-equivalent.
    doubt it. just get lightroom. it's well worth it and it goes on sale
    every so often.

    Guest, Feb 24, 2011

  3. Peabody

    TT Guest

    search for darktable, I suppose just for Linux though

    TT, Feb 25, 2011
  4. Peabody

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <>, Peabody
    :
    : > I understand that Gimp is a freeware semi-equivalent of Photoshop,
    :
    : not even close to semi-equivalent.
    :
    : > but is there a such an equivalent of Lightroom?
    :
    : doubt it. just get lightroom. it's well worth it and it goes on sale
    : every so often.

    Before taking that advice (which may in fact be correct for your situation),
    give some thought to what you want your editing and cataloguing workflow to
    be. Lightroom is a member of a class of cataloguing programs that maintain
    their own database of your pictures and the changes you've made to them. To
    some that's a marvelous convenience; to others it's a damned nuisance. There
    are other programs that store all changes in the Exif data and don't require a
    database; again that's good or bad, depending on your point of view. Such
    programs make it easier, in some ways, to deal with individual pictures, but
    do less for you in the aggregate.

    My suggestion would be to try the camera manufacturer's editor first and then
    one or more of the widely-available freebie programs (GIMP, Irfanview, Picasa,
    et al) before committing serious money to any of the expensive programs like
    Photoshop, Lightroom, or Paintshop Pro. If you're lucky, the freebies will be
    all you'll need; if not, at least you'll understand your needs better and know
    why you thought it necessary to go upscale.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 26, 2011
  5. Peabody

    me Guest

    Don't forget one can always test drive the trial version before
    purchasing as well.

    me, Feb 26, 2011
  6. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    Not really. The Lightroom database is a database that duplicates
    files in your C: drive (or where you put them). Eliminate that C:
    drive database, and none of your Lightroom images can be edited.
    Access an image in your C: drive file that is Lightroom's database
    with any other program, edit it, save it, and your Lightroom image
    will be that of the edited image.

    Change the name of a file in your C: drive file that is the Lightroom
    database, and Lightroom will show the image but tell you the file is
    "Offline or missing".

    If you upload images from several folders in C:, you can't move those
    files and be able to edit them later in Lightroom. I have a
    designated folder for all of the images I catalog in Lightroom.
    Images are moved there before importing them to Lightroom. That
    folder is backed up in several places, and backed up frequently.

    When you back up Lightroom, you are only backing up the database that
    reaches for the images in C:. You are not backing up the images.

    tony cooper, Feb 26, 2011
  7. Peabody

    ray Guest

    Technically, GIMP is not 'freeware' - it is Open Source. Rather than call
    it a "semi-equivalent" of photoshop, I'd say it's analagous - i.e.
    performs pretty much the same functions.

    ray, Feb 26, 2011
  8. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    no it does not.
    of course they can be edited and you can even have the edits written to
    sidecar files, so if you eliminate the database (why would you do
    that?) you don't lose anything.
    why is that a problem?
    tell lightroom to update. basically one click.
    upload to where and why not?
    good on the backups but why not let lightroom do the moving?
    why wouldn't you back up both?

    Guest, Feb 26, 2011
  9. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    Technically, GIMP is not 'freeware' - it is Open Source. Rather than call
    it a "semi-equivalent" of photoshop, I'd say it's analagous - i.e.
    performs pretty much the same functions.[/QUOTE]

    not even remotely close to the same. it's about what photoshop used to
    be, long ago.

    Guest, Feb 26, 2011
  10. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    I know you'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to argue with you.[/QUOTE]

    i'm not disappointed and it doesn't matter either. you're wrong.
    that's entirely different than saying the gimp is 'pretty much the
    same.'

    Guest, Feb 26, 2011
  11. Peabody

    ray Guest

    not even remotely close to the same. it's about what photoshop used to
    be, long ago.[/QUOTE]

    I know you'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to argue with you.
    Suffice it to say the GIMP is adequate for the needs of many folks.

    ray, Feb 26, 2011
  12. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    Except, of course, that I did not say GIMP is 'pretty much the same' -
    please don't attempt to put words in my mouth - just read what I did say.[/QUOTE]

    you said (included in the quote above):which is essentially the same as saying 'pretty much the same.'

    however, it doesn't actually matter. whether or not the gimp is
    'adequate for the needs of many folks' is a different issue entirely
    than a comparison with photoshop (or any other photo editing
    application).

    Guest, Feb 27, 2011
  13. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    while a kia or hyundai is 'adequate for the needs of many folks.'

    two entirely different issues.

    ray, Feb 27, 2011
  15. Peabody

    ray Guest

    you said (included in the quote above):which is essentially the same as saying 'pretty much the same.'[/QUOTE]

    A Mercedes and a BMW do pretty much the same thing. That is not to say
    they are pretty much the same. EOT

    ray, Feb 27, 2011
  16. Peabody

    shiva das Guest

    As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that
    Mercedes makes diesel-powered light- and medium-duty trucks, while BMW
    makes motorcycles.

    Other than that they both market extremely overpriced cars to insipidly
    shallow people who have "issues".

    And they both market extremely small and cheap commuter cars.

    shiva das, Feb 27, 2011
  17. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    That's just about the best advice that anyone could give, or get.

    The trouble is that, for too many people, owning a copy of Photoshop
    CS* is a personal statement. Very, very few photographers need
    anything so complex. Cheaper (or free) alternatives are more than
    capable of doing all that most photographers need.

    Bruce, Feb 27, 2011
  18. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    Aperture 3 is $199, Aperture 3 upgrade is $99. Hardly "almost free".
    Lightroom 3 is $299, Lightroom 3 upgrade is $99.[/QUOTE]

    aperture is $79 on the apps store.

    Guest, Feb 27, 2011
  19. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    photoshop elements is around $50-60 and a very good match for the
    average photographer.

    Guest, Feb 27, 2011
  20. Peabody

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:07:08 -0500, nospam wrote:
    :
    : > In article <>, ray <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >> >> >> > I understand that Gimp is a freeware semi-equivalent of
    : >> >> >> > Photoshop, but is there a such an equivalent of Lightroom?
    : >> >> >>
    : >> >> >> Technically, GIMP is not 'freeware' - it is Open Source. Rather
    : >> >> >> than call it a "semi-equivalent" of photoshop, I'd say it's
    : >> >> >> analagous - i.e. performs pretty much the same functions.
    : >> >> >
    : >> >> > not even remotely close to the same. it's about what photoshop
    : >> >> > used to be, long ago.
    : >> >>
    : >> >> I know you'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to argue with you.
    : >> >
    : >> > i'm not disappointed and it doesn't matter either. you're wrong.
    : >> >
    : >> >> Suffice it to say the GIMP is adequate for the needs of many folks.
    : >> >
    : >> > that's entirely different than saying the gimp is 'pretty much the
    : >> > same.'
    : >>
    : >> Except, of course, that I did not say GIMP is 'pretty much the same' -
    : >> please don't attempt to put words in my mouth - just read what I did
    : >> say.
    : >
    : > you said (included in the quote above):
    : >> >> >> i.e. performs pretty much the same functions.
    : > which is essentially the same as saying 'pretty much the same.'
    :
    : A Mercedes and a BMW do pretty much the same thing. That is not to say
    : they are pretty much the same. EOT

    Why don't you guys migrate this discussion over to alt.usage.english or
    sci.linguistics? It's getting tedious here.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 27, 2011