Is there a DUMMIES BOOK for making CDs and DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by letterman, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. letterman

    letterman Guest

    I have been trying to use a CD burner for 3 to 4 years to make a CD.
    I have never been able to figure it out. Hey, I'm old.......

    I have an Iomega burner external USB. I got the software from Iomega
    installed, but after that, I'm lost. Do I need to format them, so I
    need to make ISO files, do I need to modify my OS? The list goes on.
    Everytime I have asked for help on newsgroups, or read stuff on
    websites I have only gotten more confused. Then I go to the store and
    find that the blank CDs and DVDs come as CD+R and CD-R. (same for
    DVDs) No one can tell me which one I need. It seems the more I try to
    learn this, the more confused I get, and then I run across info
    telling me that because I am running Windows98se I may, or may not
    need to modify WIN.INI, and I only go deeper under water trying to
    understand all of this. There seems to be so much conflicting
    information that I dont know what to believe. Even the simple task of
    labelling them seems conflicting. Some say never use any ink on a CD
    or it will ruin them, yet other people say you can write all over them
    as long as it's not on the data side.

    I realize that burning CDs and DVDs is the most complicated thing a
    person can do on a computer, but I also realize that asking for help
    or reading websites, just gets me all sorts of technical babble that I
    dont understand and only confuses me more.

    I'm not stupid, but I am old, my eyes are not the best for reading
    reams of useless shit, and I could give a rats ass about all the
    technical crap. I just need a step by step SIMPLE explanation of what
    to do to burn some data, or copy another CD, or make an audio CD from
    MP3 files (which I know is even more complicated yet). I've given up
    out of frustration several times over the years. This time I hope I
    can actually make at least one useful CD.

    I recentely bought a used DVD burner too, but I'll start with the CDs
    for now. While I'm not a dummy, I know those books do make things
    appear to be simple, compared to most other books and websites.

    I should mention the (online only - website version) of the software
    for the Iomega software (made for my Iomega burner), is very hard to
    use because the websites keep referring to other pages and that sort
    of thing.

    Do these books exist?
    Is there an online version?

    By the way, dont bother telling me to upgrade to XP or Vista. I'm
    perfectly happy with Win98 and dont need something else to learn to
    use. I've used Win98 since 98 and I know how to use it well, except
    for this damn cd\dvd burning.

    Thanks

    LM

    letterman, Apr 2, 2009

  2. I was about to recommend "CD and DVD Recording For Dummies", then I
    noticed it was published in 2004. Try going to Amazon.com and
    searching on "cd and dvd recording."

    Then again, if you are using Win98, maybe a 2004 vintage is what you
    need.

    FWIW, I feel your pain. I'm more PC literate than most, but recording
    CDs and DVDs has been a pain in the ass for me too. Why on earth
    Microsoft isn't smart enough to simply treat them like any other
    storage device allowing copy/move, drag and drop, etc. is beyond me.

    Richard Evans, Apr 2, 2009

  3. Per :
    I'm old.

    But I'm stupid too.

    Although Windows has native support for burning data CDs (and
    DVDs?) one thing that makes my life simpler is having a third
    party utility called "Nero" that does it with a few more options
    and a bit more of a UI.

    For video-type DVDs.... that's a whole other can of worms. I'm
    just trying to get into it now and find it quite intimidating.

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 3, 2009

  4. Because of the nature of the write medium and method. It is a worm, as
    in a helical string that tracks around the disc just like an album
    (except reversed).

    Albums get stamped, and all the data gets made at one time. A
    writeable optical disc, however, has to have a session performed on it
    where the laser impinges on the plastic layer of the disc's structure,
    and leaves behind a burn remnant in each location in wants a 1 to be
    written. The gaps between are zeros, and the data stream is constructed
    and can be read back out.

    Now, the way it works is that the disc drive and software has to have
    all the data that is going to be written to a disc all readied up so that
    a single "authoring session" can be performed where the entire data
    string has been compiled, and during the write session, the stream cannot
    be broken such that the laser head buffer loses data. All buffering in
    the system has to be such that that one element gets data the entire time
    the write session is going. If there is any break at all, the disc is
    trashed, because a file cannot have a break in its data, or the laser
    head loses track, and there is not enough FEC to fix it... date gets
    lost.

    It has nothing to do with Windows or the computer. It is all about how
    an optical disk has to be written to and read from. That is completely
    different than the way a hard drive volume works, so drag and drop, and
    plug and play write sessions are difficult to work with. We do have
    multiple session capability now, but I prefer to have a disc full of data
    ready before I burn, OR the data be so important that it warrants a disc
    of its own, even if it is only 50MB of data. Even then, I do not use any
    drag and drop applets.

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 3, 2009

  5. Just making a file for the danged PSP is a pain in the ass, unless I go
    drop a shitload of cash on software.

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 3, 2009
  6. letterman

    buddy b Guest

    Sounds as if you need 3rd party pgms to do what you want.
    There are some freeware and some shareware.
    Do a search on each.

    Look in a.b.multimedia.utilities and look around.
    Regards
    buddy b

    buddy b, Apr 3, 2009
  7. letterman

    letterman Guest

    Thanks for the feedback. I dont feel so bad now, knowing that this is
    a pain in the ass for others too. I should note that this is one time
    when MS is not really at fault. I've heard that burning CDs and DVDs
    with Linux and Macintosh is just as much of a hassle. Now mayb MS
    could come up with some software that automates it. From what I've
    read on some website discussion groups, it appears that some software
    does automate it, but there is still no guarantee the CDs will work.

    I recall about 5 years ago I needed my Win98 CD to add some drivers to
    Win98 and could not find the CD. I have a legal reg. key, so I just
    asked a friend to make me a copy, which he did. Well, he had to do it
    3 times before my CD player drive would read it. All three read fine
    on his driv, but not mine. I even changed the drive at one point, but
    that did not help. I finally gave him a spare harddrive and had him
    copy the CD to that harddrive, which I later copied to my "using"
    drive, and I now keep the whole 98install CD files right on the
    computer. (eventually I found my original CD).

    Actually, a 2004 book should work just fine for me. That should cover
    Win98, Win2K, and likely XP. I dont think CD burning has changed.
    It's still a clumbsy process compared to copying files to anything
    else such as a harddrive, floppy, or USB stick.

    I'll be looking for that book, in fact I just thought about looking at
    the local library first.

    Thanks

    LM

    letterman, Apr 3, 2009
  8. letterman

    letterman Guest

    What's a PSP ??? (Besides Paint Shop Pro)

    letterman, Apr 3, 2009
  9. letterman

    letterman Guest

    My CD burner is older. I bought it several years ago as a USED drive.
    It was complete, except lacking the manual and software. It's an
    Iomega Zip CD650 external USB drive. Iomega allowed me to download
    the drivers and their burning software "Hotburn Pro", after I gave
    them the model/serial numbers of the drive and registered it with
    them. I have the software installed, it appears to work. I can play
    CDs on the drive with no problem.

    What I said about burning DVDs is that I just bought a bunch of used
    computer stuff from a business that was selling all their older
    computer hardware. It included an internal Phillips CD-DVD burner.
    Of course no software or manual.....

    This computer is a 1ghz Pentium3 with 512megs of Ram. Do I need more
    power than that?

    What also puzzles me, is this: Lets say I got this NERO that everyone
    seems to think is the best. Do I use this program for BOTH CDs and
    DVDs? Or do DVDs need some other software? As I said, I have never
    burned any media, nor have I ever owned a DVD drive on a computer.

    Thanks for the help.

    LM

    letterman, Apr 3, 2009
  10. letterman

    letterman Guest

    OK, thanks. I dont have kids so I dont know that stuff !!!!

    letterman, Apr 4, 2009

  11. Play Station Portable

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 4, 2009

  12. How lame a description that was.

    I have NEVER played a game on it. It has a disc drive and there are
    movies for it. You can play movie files on it. You can play MP3s as
    well, without 'clunky' DRM. It has removable memory devices. It browses
    the web via it's wifi hooks. It allows one to store and view and
    slideshow pictures. It shows those movies and pictures at a barely
    acceptable, yet far better than Apple crap wide form factor resolution.
    Which is one of the better resolutions one can get at the price these are
    sitting at right now.

    It is not clunky, and in no way is it clunky compared to Apple's crap
    that reminds one of the single button mouse. How lame. You keep your
    stupid iPud, bub. Only the high end of those has web access, and that is
    only so you can BUY more music, 1 DRM drenched file at a time.

    It (the PSP) is far better than the other players, has had more
    features throughout its life, long before your iPud ever even thought
    about doing video. The newer models do it even better than the originals
    and at an even higher resolution. The only thing it lacks is FLAC
    playback capacity.

    ...AND it plays games.

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 4, 2009
  13. letterman

    Ted Bundy Guest

    On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:18:27 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
    <> once again showed everyone what a
    roaring asshole he is by sprouting nastyness:

    <<<<<Snip>>>>>

    Your condescending attitude negates anything you can ever say that may
    be of value. You are just a lowlife prick. Off yourself before you
    go postal and hurt someone else.

    Ted Bundy, Apr 5, 2009

  14. Easy to tell that you are totally outside you realm of knowledge.

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 5, 2009

  15. The funniest thing about your utter stupidity is that you actually
    think I ever did at all.

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 6, 2009
  16. letterman

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    Now you are just being too modest.

    You are the winner of several Internet Kook Awards. That is something
    that cannot be taken away. You must be very proud of them to keep up
    your tradition of nym hopping, net kopping and general foaming.

    Keep up the good work and I am sure that there will be more of them in
    your future.

    BlueBuyYoo, Apr 6, 2009

  17. Such "awards" are "given" by totally retarded kooks that hang out in
    their totally retarded kook group. THEY are the kooks, not the folks
    they jump on in piss and moan fashion when they get railed by someone.

    I wouldn't expect a KOOK twit like you too understand, however.

    That (your utter stupidity) cannot be taken away.

    Archimedes' Lever, Apr 6, 2009
  18. letterman

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    Come on, you earned those awards. They don't just give them to anyone.

    BlueBuyYoo, Apr 7, 2009
  19. I've only been burning movies for 2 weeks but I'm getting pretty good at it.
    I recommend AVS Video Converter 6 for converting your movie files to DVD
    format so you can burn it to a DVD disk. After conversion in the converted
    folder you will find AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders. Inside the VIDEO_TS folder
    you will find 2 BUP files 2 ifo files and several vob files (3-8). Once the
    file has been converted I recommend ImgBurner to burn it to a disk. This set
    up works pretty well for me and I don't get nearly as many bad burns as I
    did the first week. Good luck to you. AVS costs $60 but ImgBurner is free.

    Walt

    Walter Goldschmidt, May 22, 2009