    Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

    thanks
    tim

    timm, Jan 3, 2004

  2. timm

    Rafe B. Guest

    IIRC, both my Canon digicams have something
    called "remote capture" though I've never seen
    a real use for it. The idea is to control the camera
    from the screen via a GUI, over the camera's USB
    connection.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jan 3, 2004

  3. timm

    Cello Guest

    Canon 300D will do it.

    Cello, Jan 3, 2004
  4. timm

    Jan Wagner Guest

    powershot Gx series have an IR remote - should be easy to modify
    slightly...

    Jan Wagner, Jan 3, 2004
  5. timm

    Dave Cox Guest

    You can get a plain old web cam.......cheap and easy. Or the Digital
    Rebel, it has remote capture. Just depends on how much you want to
    spend and what you need to do with it.

    Dave Cox, Jan 3, 2004
  6. timm

    Tyke Guest

    The Minolta A1 will also do remote capture, but it does require buying the
    special cable. The software to use the cable comes with the camera.

    Dave Paine.

    Tyke, Jan 3, 2004
  7. My A80 is computer-controllable. If I can get set up to scan my slide
    collection with it, I'll want to mount it and then fire it without
    touching it
    and possibly changing the focus by the least amount, so I'll be using my
    computer to operate the camera (and running the camera on an AC adapter).

    I can see applications for people who do studio work, too. Admittedly
    a computer makes for a pretty large remote control trigger, but, whatever
    works ...

    Anthony Buckland, Jan 3, 2004
  8. timm

    Jim Waggener Guest

    you sure of that Dave? I read the remote capture software was a $100
    option.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 4, 2004
  9. timm

    Jimmy Guest

    I do some timelapse with my C-5050, a laptop, and this program.
    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/default.asp

    Jimmy, Jan 4, 2004
  10. I remotely control my Canon Digital Rebel via a switch. In fact I built a
    RF remote control and I can set it up outside near feeders and take pictures
    by watching through the window and snap pictures when birds/animals are on
    the feeder. You can buy a mini stereo plug at any Radio Shack to fit the
    camera connector. It has about 3 volts on the connection which must be
    grounded to fire the camera. I also modified a Sony Mavica to extend the
    push button connections outside the camera body. I think this would work on
    any digital since they generally use a switch button to fire the camera.
    You can see some of my pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/dmots.
    see the album on backyard wildlife.

    Jim Motsinger, Jan 4, 2004
  11. timm

    Donald Gray Guest

    Try a Nikon 5700 - a small release interface is available from
    www.harbortronics.com

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Jan 4, 2004
  12. timm

    stan Guest

    Several cameras have that capability. What's your price range?

    stan, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Many Olympus cameras can do this. One software package is:

    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

    If you use Linux instead of Windows, gphoto2 can be used to fire the camera and
    then download the pictures. I was just playing around with it yesterday with
    my C-2100UZ, as I want to mount the camera on a tripod, and take pictures of
    the birds at the feeder, without moving an frightening them.

    Michael Meissner, Jan 4, 2004
  14. timm

    Patrick L. Guest

    The Olympus E series cameras have a remote control, which will fire the
    camera from about 5 feet away, however, there is a two second delay.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Jan 4, 2004
  15. timm

    Buster Guest

    My Canon Powershot A70 comes with 'Remote Capture' software that works
    great! You have to run it from a computer, but it will give you on
    screen previews.
    Buster

    Buster, Jan 5, 2004
  16. timm

    Tyke Guest

    Jim,

    I may be mis-interpreting the title of one of the installation options on my
    CD, but it states "Starting up the DiMAGE remote camera driver installer".

    FYI, this is a US camera.

    The cable is not cheap. Perhaps there is additional functionality on other
    software Minolta sells.

    Dave Paine.

    Tyke, Jan 6, 2004