    But here's one that discerns between the two by media:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/135636-montage-vs-collage.html

    Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?

    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013

  2. Danny D.

    me Guest

    The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
    Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
    add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

    me, Apr 14, 2013

  3. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
    was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
    recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

    http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg
    http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png

    Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
    week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013
  4. It helps to remember how these French words entered the
    English language 100 years ago. Both named real activities
    for which there were then no words in English viz.:
    Collage = making a picture by sticking together various
    different fragments. (Colle is French for glue, hence the
    verb and back-formed noun collage = gluing.)
    Montage was used to identify film editors' methods of
    integrating separately filmed sequences in order to
    tell a coherent story in a particular way. (Monter is the
    French verb for getting ready, the way you mount a
    horse, mount a school exhibition, mount a military
    operation, etc.)
    and both entered everyday English approx. 1920-40.

    Half the natural occurences of these words nowadays no
    longer concern pictures (still or moving), i.e. are metaphorical.
    But some difference is preserved, viz:
    Collage means sticking things together
    Montage something subtler and less mechanical.

    Don Phillipson, Apr 14, 2013
  5. Danny D.

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Apr 14, 2013
  6. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Wow. Nice. Simple. Very easy to understand.

    montage ==> separate images slapped together
    collage ==> one image from separate images
    mosaic ==> a pattern from separate images

    Montage it is!

    Thanks!

    Danny D., Apr 15, 2013
  7. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    To me - an former photographer - they are montages because they form a
    continuous whole.

    If I printed each image individually and pasted them up they would be a
    collage. It is a continuous whole but made of obviously separate elements
    which could be separated into individual elements again.

    If I made tiles of various sizes, shapes and colors and formed them into
    your image I would call it a mosaic.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2013
  8. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    That works too :)

    Best choice IMO/

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2013
  9. Danny D.

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 14/04/2013 21:21, Don Phillipson wrote:

    (...)
    Getting ready? Ehm... no.

    Monter has the following meanings: to ascend to, to climb, to reach, to
    increase, to assemble.

    Mounting a horse (-> to ascend) is quite different from mounting a
    military operation (-> to assemble)

    By extension, a "montage" would be an "assembly"

    Joe Kotroczo, Apr 15, 2013