Is there a difference between DVD-RW and DVD-RW VR/Video?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Joe, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hi,

    I just got a Sony RDR GX7 DVD set top DVD recorder. The documentation
    says it can record in DVD-R, DWD-RW Video and DVD-RW VR and DVD+RW.
    So I bought some DVD-RW disks and tried to record on them. When I try
    to record I get an "unreadable disk" message and a "dirty disk"
    message. The recorder works fine with DVD+RW disks. I called Sony
    support and they told me I needed to use DVD-RW Video and DVD-RW VR
    disks not DVD-RW. My question is, is Sony just giving me a B___ S___
    story or are DWD-RW Video and DVD-RW VR disks different from DVD-RW
    disks. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Joe

    Please remove the spam busting $ in my
    e mail address to reply via e mail..Thanks

    Joe, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Joe

    ZeroOne Guest

    rw can be erased
    more expensive
    may not be compatible with player

    ZeroOne, Jul 3, 2004

  3. There is only 1 type of DVD-RW discs avaliable. However, you can chose to
    format it either in
    regular Video mode, or what is known as VR (video recording) mode. VR mode
    allows more editing features on the RDR-GX7, however it is normally not
    playable on a standard DVD player.
    If you are getting these error messages, it could be that you have not
    formatted the blank disc yet.
    Or, you may have created the disc on a PC, in which case you'll likely need
    to either do a full erase on the PC (time consuming) or re-format it on the
    RDR-GX7 before you can use it.
    Hope this helps.

    Ronnie Pincus, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Well the Sony RDR-GX7 wont let me format these disks they are new.
    Does formatting them in a pc differ from formatting them in a Sony DVR
    recorder?

    Joe, Jul 3, 2004
  5. No, actually theres two types now and there are not forward compatible.

    Version 1.1 supports 1x-2x speed.
    Version 2.0 supports 2x-4x speed.

    Except for the newest Pioneer DVD recorders coming out now, the existing
    recorders on the market only supports DVD-RW version 1.1.

    DVD-RW version 2 discs won't work in version 1.1 recorders.

    Regards, Lars

    Lars Ladingkaer, Jul 3, 2004
  6. Joe

    Biz Guest

    OK, so you bought some DVD-RW disks. What exact kind did you buy? Perhaps
    you bought some really inexpensive disks that are just not compatible?
    Start by buying a few good disks, especially those recommended by Sony
    specifically for use in that recorder. If they work fine, then your next
    mission is to look around for brands you find more affordable that are also
    compatible.

    Biz, Jul 3, 2004
  7. :

    [The two types of DVD-RW media available]:
    Sorry I made a mistake here, its not called version 2.0 but version 1.2:

    DVD-RW ver. 1.1 supports 1x-2x speed.

    DVD-RW ver. 1.2 supports 2x-4x speed.

    The DVD-RW ver. 1.2 media can't be used in DVD burners and DVD recorders
    made for ver. 1.1 only.

    /Lars

    Lars Ladingkaer, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Well I tried Ridata made by Ritek. The disk that worked was one Fuji
    Film DVD+RW had no problems with that.

    Joe, Jul 4, 2004