Is there a danger opening WMV files in XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Andy, May 11, 2006.

  1. <I snipped all this because your editing made it incomprehensible.>

    Argument by snippage is poor form.
    My IQ is the same as it has always been--high--and I evidence no signs
    of senility. Not yet, anyway.
    <snicker> Oh yes. I remember you. You're the guy who doesn't know what a
    PC is, right?

    As I told your pal, George, when you resort to the kind of
    pseudo-argument you put forth above, you've already lost.

    There wasn't a shred of content in what you wrote--just a lot of insult
    and hyperbole. And your analogy to addiction also fails.

    Get back to me after you take a course in logic, eh? I love a good
    argument, but there are rules, and if you refuse to follow them, it
    makes you boring.
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    without the balls to live in the real world.
    Mary Shafer Iliff

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 26, 2006

  2. Andy

    kurt wismer Guest

    and the US supreme court...

    kurt wismer, May 26, 2006

  3. Andy

    Notan Guest

    Sorry you left the Dell newsgroup.

    Glad to see you over here... This place could use a little class! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, May 26, 2006
  4. <snicker> Yeah, well, they're probably a bunch of criminals too.

    Never bring the Supreme Court into an argument, Kurt, or the next thing
    you're going to be discussing is everything that is wrong with the
    individual Justices. Politics, y'know?

    Here's my analogy: pot, kettle, black. Because unless our boy George is
    very young (and even if he is young and living in the wrong state or
    country), his first (and possibly all subsequent) blow job(s) was very
    likely illegal. But heaven forfend that he should perceive himself as a
    criminal.

    Then again, I may be making an unwarranted assumption.

    Don't blame me, George. ;) You're the one who dragged sex into it. I
    just brought it back down to the appropriate level--irrelevant and
    possibly even non-existent.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 26, 2006
  5. It's okay to say they ran me off. ;)

    I wonder how long it will take here?
    Guess I'd better go put on the little black dress and three inch heels
    if I'm to live up to that. :)

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 26, 2006
  6. Andy

    Notan Guest

    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, May 26, 2006
  7. Andy

    Deed Guest

    There is definately a danger opening WMV files. I recently downloaded a
    file and when i tried to open it, it said that it had a different
    extension compared to what it expected or something. But i've had this
    message before anyway, so i tried to play it. Second in and the screen
    went black, i heard something in my computer deactivate. I could only
    assume it was my HDD, so i quickly turned it off. I rebooted into safe
    mode and deleted the file, then checked msconfig, deleted the run at
    startup string, and located the file in the system root. I erased it
    and its been plain sailing since!

    Deed, May 26, 2006
  8. Andy

    kurt wismer Guest

    woulda, coulda, shoulda... that just goes to whether copyright
    infringement *should* be considered theft, not whether it currently *is*
    _legally_ considered theft....

    and since theft is a concept that is governed by the law, if it's
    copyright infringement isn't legally considered theft then it's not
    theft (at least not until someone with the authority to change the law
    actually does so)...

    kurt wismer, May 27, 2006
  9. Posting links seems a lot more practical than writing a very long post,
    particularly because Eric Flint and Spider Robinson are far better
    writers than I'll ever be.

    This is an essay:

    http://www.baen.com/library/

    This is a parable, only good for those who enjoy fiction:

    http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200011/0671319744___1.htm

    I hope that wiser minds will continue to prevail, but I'm not counting
    on it. The fact that people continue to make the "theft" argument
    convinces me that the average human brain is turning into tapioca.

    And anyone who says "a book is not software," goes straight to my
    respository for ignorant cretins.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 27, 2006
  10. Andy

    sillybanter Guest

    Hate to spoil an otherwise good argument, but in some situations (most
    commonly when copying is done for non-trivial financial gain)
    copyright infringers end up in criminal court, with the possibility of
    jail time.

    If copyright infringement is done for your own use (not commercial
    gain), then it's unlikely that it would be anything more than a civil
    issue (except watch out for some bills currently being debated which
    have the potential to change this).

    sillybanter, May 29, 2006
  11. Andy

    Dustin Cook Guest

    True, it's a sick perversion of the law.
    Indeed they do.

    In all fairness tho, I think the topic has come to a standstill.
    Various individuals know the difference between copyright infringement
    and theft and some obviously do not. When we get to the point where we
    are comparing child rapists to a copyright infringer, the point of the
    message has been lost.

    Regards,
    Dustin Cook
    http://bughunter.atspace.org

    Dustin Cook, May 29, 2006
  12. Andy

    TwistyCreek Guest

    Nobody made any such comparison and you KNOW that. This is just one more
    smoke screen you're throwing up to gloss over and tap dance around your
    long history of criminal behavior.

    What WAS compared is your asinine arguments and excuses, and the way other
    criminals excuse and rationalize their own criminal activity. It was also
    compared to the way drunks rationalize. All of which are valid
    comparisons. You're a practicing thief, bragging about it, and at the same
    time trying to play it down. A walking contradiction that's as
    transparent as fresh cleaned glass.

    TwistyCreek, May 30, 2006
  13. Andy

    Dustin Cook Guest

    What long history of criminal behavior is it your talking about? It's
    obvious you have some sort of axe to grind... I think it would be
    better served on someone who has the free time you seem to require.
    Oh yes, you were already scolded for the flaws in your comparisons, I
    see no need to repeat them.
    Are you sure it's my posts you intend to respond to with such nonsense?
    At what point have *I* said I was a thief? Perhaps you can clear up a
    few things for me. One, what makes you think I'm a thief? Two, at one
    point have I bragged about... oh... anything? And finally, what exactly
    is it im playing down?

    I'm still waiting for your explanation concerning my BugHunter program.
    You wouldn't mind listing the things I claim it can/will do that it
    cannot? You may have already answered it, if so I missed it, and
    shouldn't be any trouble for you to answer again.

    Dustin Cook, May 30, 2006