    The rebel/300D/kiss is more than half the price with almost identical
    performance. Has anyone read anything about a price drop on the 10D?

    Regards / Curt

    Curt, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Curt

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Er.. They haven't even started selling the EOS Rebel yet. They only announced
    it 24 hrs ago :)

    The 10D most certainly will drop in price. I figure they've recovered their
    development and tooling costs for the 10D.. That, (added with the
    introduction of the comparable and much cheaper Digital Rebel) will certainly
    cause the price to drop. If they don't cut the price of the 10D, it really
    will take a back seat to the new kid on the block.

    I'll bet the 10D is in the $1200 range in a few months... That will put it
    around $300 more than the Rebel... For about 300 bucks you get a magnesium
    body, larger buffer, color temperature adjustment and custom menu functions.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Canon won't lower the price of the 10D, but the competition can force it.
    They will always want to maintain price separation between the 10D and the
    300D because otherwise people will opt for the better model. Having the
    cheaper model lets them keep the price up, and of course sell the same
    lenses to more people.

    Would be interesting to know the difference of cost of manufacture between
    the two models, both in marginal cost, and amortized.

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Curt

    Patrick L. Guest

    http://www.priceit4less.com/shop/Product.asp?sku=EOS10D

    Patrick L., Aug 21, 2003
  5. Curt

    Mark B. Guest

    Why should it drop? I disagree about performance being almost identical.
    The imaging senor is the same, and file formats are the same but the 10D
    has:

    larger buffer (9 frames vs. 4 frames)
    magnesium alloy body
    higher ISO (3200)
    PC sync terminal for studio lights
    pentaprism vs. pentamirror on 300D - according to robgalbraith.com, this
    will yield a slightly darker viewfinder on 300D
    mirror lockup
    Kelvin white balance adjustment
    and as far as I can tell, the 300D does not have high-speed flash sync

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 21, 2003
  6. Curt

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Aug 21, 2003
  7. Curt

    Scott Guest

    What do you mean "such a high price" on the 10D??? Have you looked at
    the price of the competitions bodies? The 10D is the market leader
    right now in its segment, and priced the lowest... I, for one, think
    $1400 is more than reasonable at this time for that body... give it 6
    months however - when the 10Ds successor is released - and you'll see
    the 10D around $1000 I suspect

    Scott, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Curt

    Ken Alverson Guest

    The Rebel series does high speed sync with an EX series flash.

    Ken

    Ken Alverson, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Curt

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    ___a;most identical performance????????????????

    By that logic in film cameras the Elan shouldn't sell for more than
    25 bucks over the price of a Rebel. If you can't see the difference I
    suggest you don't need anything more than the Rebel -- and perhaps less.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 21, 2003
  10. Curt

    Kenny Guest

    Not in the UK. They are in short supply and sell for roughly the same
    price they were at launch.

    Why should Canon drop the price? They have no reason to do so. They can
    sell every 10D they make and still have a backlog of orders. Canon (like
    all businesses) is in existence to make profit, no other reason.
    Consumers need to recognise - no profit, no R&D, no new cameras, no
    manufacturer. But there again, looking at the number of people falling
    for the eBay scams there are always those around where price comes ahead
    of service and quality.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 21, 2003
  11. Curt

    Mark B. Guest

    But does the 300D? It's not been mentioned. Just because it's in the
    film-body version doesn't mean Canon carried it over to the digital body.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 22, 2003
  12. The 300D manual has FP sync in it.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Aug 22, 2003
  13. The 10D price dropped by ~300 €, nearly at the time of the 300D launch.
    You can find it at http://www.ny-camera.net/ (fine german dealer) for
    less than 1500 € (VAT included) and they say 'in stock'.

    The 300D is listed as ~1100 € (body only) on
    http://www.technikdirekt.de/ and http://www.ac-foto.de/.

    You might be able to get even better prices in Luxembourg (bit less VAT
    than in Germany). Don't forget that you're in Europe :)

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=E9mi_Guyomarch?=, Aug 23, 2003
  14. Curt

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Keep in mind that one of the reasons Canon introduced the 300D is so
    that they could sell a DSLR at a lower price *without* reducing the
    price of the 10D.

    Mark Roberts, Aug 23, 2003
  15. Curt

    RDKirk Guest

    Following past practices, they'd be more likely to discontinue it than
    drop the price.

    is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    Theodore Roosevelt

    RDKirk, Aug 24, 2003
  16. Curt

    Kenny Guest

    10D prices are actually going up. Now, there's a novelty. Those
    potential 10D buyers hanging on for it to get cheaper have backed the
    wrong horse.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 24, 2003
  17. Curt

    Mark B. Guest

    The 300D isn't a replacement for the 10D, so the 10D isn't going to be
    discontinued anytime soon.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 28, 2003
  18. Curt

    bj286 Guest

    With the same sensor and processor, the sensitivity and noise should be the same.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    bj286, Aug 30, 2003