Is the Kodak 4 MP EasyShare CX7430 any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I'm looking to get a Digital point and shoot to replace our aging 35mm film
    camera and have been looking at the Kodak 4 MP EasyShare CX7430 which is
    available for around 240 dollars. Has anyone had any experiences with this
    camera? I did a bit of googling and not much came up for it. According to
    what I've read it was introduced in Febuary 2004 so maybe that is the reason
    for the lack of post pro or con about it. It seems to have the right mix of
    auto and manual features I would use, mostly on auto mode but occasionally
    I'd use the manual mode, mostly to use a higher shutter speed since the auto
    looks like it tops out at 160 or so. From what I have read a 4MP should be
    sufficient for my needs since I've never had any of the film pictures I've
    taken blown up and the camera should produce 4 x 5 prints that I couldn't
    tell from film. I wanted an optical zoom because I've seen how bad the
    digital versions work. I also wanted an auto lense cover because I always
    hated fooling with a lense cap, I originally wanted a Canon S45 because of
    the sliding lense cover/power switch but I can't justify the additional 100
    dollars just for that. I also like the fact that I can use AA bateries or a
    rechargable pack in the camera, that way when, I don't mean if, I wind up
    with a dead battery at the wrong time I can at least pop in a couple of AAs
    and keep on going. Circuit City has them on sale with a "Starter Kit"
    which comes with a small tripod, photo paper and I think a spare battery for
    237 plus change. I was thinking of getting this camera and trying it out
    for a few days and If I like it then getting the docking station which comes
    with the battery pack and a memory card, either 128 or 256 meg. I figure
    this setup should cover my needs and not break my budget. Sorry to be long
    winded but I'm trying to give you an idea of my needs and what info I'm
    dealing with on these cameras. Any comments?

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Bill

    Bluedoze Guest

    look for the canon A80, it's on Costco with $300 with the Addon kit
    (including the rechargable batteries, charger, and canon case).

    Bluedoze

    Bluedoze, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Try here for a review

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430.html

    Ken Miller

    Kenneth Miller, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I saw that review but wondered if anyone had some real world experience with
    this camera. Could be a moot point though, I just found a Kodak DX-4530
    5Meg camera for 299.00. It's also reviewed on Steve's site and looks good.
    Doesn't have a built in lens cover like I like but for that price I'm going
    to look at it real close.

    Bill, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Whupps, I meant to put down 267.72 + tax. I've got camera's on the brain
    right now and confused myself....again.

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Bill

    Don R Guest

    I have the DX6440 (4MP) and the DX7630 (6.1MP). Overall, the DX6440 is a
    fantastic camera. Has enough overrides to accomodate most situations. Has
    the integrated lens cover (the lens cap on the DX7630 drives me nuts). The
    DX6440 is lightweight, uses AA batteries, and is a fun camera to use. It has
    taken some really great photos for me. I tried the DX4530, and was lukewarm
    on it. I also had a Canon A80 which I got rid of. Really bad indoors, small
    controls that were hard to read because of their size, and a very small LCD.
    I really like the DX6440, and the DX6490. I am an oldtime SLR user, but
    retired it for my Kodak point and shoots.

    Don R, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You might also want to look at the DX7440 and the DX7630, as well as the
    older DX6440. All should suit your needs well.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I would check instead the DX6440 with a 4X optical zoom, and almost all
    the other features of the 4530, and comes bundles with the dock for
    about that price. BTW, you can do MUCH better then $299 for the 4530.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    If you want to see some pictures taken with the DX6440, check out
    webshots for user rphunter42. Select the homepage and scroll down to
    the Alaskan Cruise pictures. 450 shots all taken with the 6440, and
    most posted without any postprocessing.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Bill-

    I have the CX7430, and think it's great. I also normally use the
    Auto-everything mode, and only occasionally use the other modes. It takes
    well-detailed pictures--better than the DX6xxx series in my opinion. Those
    had too much of the Kodak "oil painting effect": too much noise
    reduction/processing. The images seem very bright, well-lit, well-saturated
    and clear--even indoor pics without flash. Seems like a fast lens (is
    "bright and clear--even indoor without flash" an indicator of a fast lens?)
    to me.

    Another nice thing about the CX7430 (over the DX6xxx series): 640x480 movie
    mode (although only 13 fps). Still, nice to have.

    The exposures are usually excellent. My only gripe is occasionally it over
    exposes: it employs the flash a little too often, I think. But this is very
    easily defeated with the dedicated flash button, if you want. Another handy
    thing: I like the way you can use exposure compensation even in Auto mode.
    Seems kind of counter-intuitive, but it works if you usually use Auto mode.
    Take the photo; if it's a tad light/dark, just bump up/down the exp.
    compensation. I don't recall my old Canon A40 (or even A70/75) having exp.
    comp. in Auto-everything mode.

    The colors are fantastic, the exposure right on, and very sharp focusing.
    Shot-to-shot time is very good. Very small (not Elph-size, but very small)
    size. Battery life is very good. I think it's a great mix of features for
    the price, as long as you're not into setting shutter speed and/or aperture.

    I also saw a review at www.megapixel.net. You should check it out. Good luck
    with your decision.

    [email protected], Jun 30, 2004
  11. Bill

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Actually, I think you have made a great choice. The camera is terrific and
    my use of it yielded great pictures.

    You can get a full review of the camera, its features and and specs at the
    following URL. By the way, the shutter actually goes from 1/2 - 1/1400
    seconds. I agree that optical is much better than digital, although the
    camera does include ADZ or Advanced Digital Zoom algorithms. Excellent math
    in the camera.

    I am also am a big proponent of the dock. It allows you to charge the
    battery, and transfer pictures in any number of ways or by just pressing one
    button. The EasyShare Software is pretty cool and does provide an excellent
    way to get your pictures organized.

    Talk to you soon, Bill, if you have any particular questions after a review
    let me know. I am usually around and will be glad to help.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/www.kodak.com/go/cx7430

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jun 30, 2004