Is the G3 twice the camera as the A70?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GCW, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. GCW

    GCW Guest

    I've been waiting for a local brick and mortar to get an A70 in stock again,
    and I've been using the time researching and comparing it to the G3.
    Currently, the G3 is about twice the price, and seems to have at least the
    following advantages:

    4mp vs. 3mp
    Faster lens
    Longer zoom
    Hot shoe
    Infrared remote
    RAW format
    Bigger LCD that swivels

    I'm someone who's coming from P&S world. I even used my Canon Rebel
    primarily as a P&S, and my first (and current) digicam is the A10. My
    PRIMARY purpose for my next camera is to finally learn basic photography
    techniques, so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in terms of a
    camera that has manual controls, can be used by my daughters as a P&S, and
    some room for expansion.

    I really like the A70's compact size, but I like the G3's hot shoe for
    better flash possibilities. I want a camera for the next year or two to
    learn as much as I can before I spring for a DSLR. I don't plan to print
    larger than 8x10. I want to at least explore everything from macros to
    landscapes to (informal) portraits until I find the niche that really feeds
    my soul.

    Basically I'm looking for a good "pre-DSLR" camera to get my feet wet,
    without breaking the bank, learn as much as possible, have as much
    flexibility and control as possible, and then move up to DSLR. So...is the
    A70 likely to fit the bill at this juncture, or would you recommend the G3
    as a better choice, and is it worth twice the price? (Or perhaps the middle
    ground is to find a G2 somewhere?)

    Thanks in advance!
    --
    GCW

    The more I learn, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The
    more I forget, the less I know. The less I know, the more I need to learn.
    And so it goes...

    GCW, Aug 12, 2003

  2. GCW

    Oscar Guest

    With your interest being in "photography", rather than just "taking
    pictures", you won't be satisfied with anything less than a Canon G3 (or
    some other manufacturer's equivalent).

    Oscar, Aug 12, 2003

  3. GCW

    Christian Guest

    You definitely want the G3 (or possibly the S45/S50 if you want something
    more compact but don't mind giving up a few features).

    Christian, Aug 12, 2003
  4. GCW

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    As others have said, with your stated interest in photography the G3 would
    serve you better than an A70, including allowing more cropping for the same
    final image quality. If you find that you don't want to spend the money for
    the G3, you can get a G2 for about $100 less than the G3.

    Mick Ruthven, Aug 12, 2003