    effort?

    Could this project make Digital SLR camera systems worth
    investing in finally?

    Paul D. Sullivan, Aug 19, 2003

  2. No. Regardless of the 4/3" system's merits, DSLRs do not make good
    investments. Useful tools, though.

    David Eppstein, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Paul D. Sullivan

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    It isn't out at all. They have spent two years hyping it and are promising
    to bring forth one whole body and four whole lenses this fall. Several other
    companies have said they are going to sign on but have announced bupkis --
    So unless you have posted this from about two years in the future -- hold
    your praise, dude. Wait for the horse to be born before you award him the
    triple crowny.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Why are DSLR's not worth investing in?

    Paul D. Sullivan, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Paul D. Sullivan

    Charlie Self Guest

    Paull Sullivan asks:
    Give some thought to the concept of investments being things that need to
    increase in value to be worth having.

    Charlie Self

    "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
    Dan Quayle

    Charlie Self, Aug 19, 2003
  6. I consider the memories that I get from the digital cameras I
    take to be well worth the investment for me. :)

    I take pics of family, friends, places, things and they bring
    back great memories when I view them.

    For example:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/res73act/

    Paul D. Sullivan, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Paul D. Sullivan

    Mark Roberts Guest

    The Olympus Four-Thirds camera is looking like the "Kodak Disc" of
    digital. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating and it's really the "APS" of
    digital.)

    Mark Roberts, Aug 19, 2003
  8. Paul D. Sullivan

    Graham Guest

    Depreciating assets are not investments.

    They *might* be vital tools of trade, but they're not investments.

    Graham, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Paul D. Sullivan

    Paul H. Guest

    Then maybe you should invest in "Focus Factor", that memory enhancement
    supplement which is advertised on the radio, ad nauseum. :)

    Paul H., Aug 19, 2003
  10. Paul D. Sullivan

    Paul H. Guest

    Then we should never invest in ourselves, because as economist J.M. Keynes
    once remarked, "In the long run, we're dead." You can't get much more
    depreciated than six feet under. :)

    ******

    An old man lies on his deathbed, coughing out the last few seconds of life,
    trying deperately to communicate his final thoughts to the distraught family
    gathered around his bed. Finally, using his last strength, the old man
    shoots out both hands to grab the collar of one of his several nephews
    standing near the head of the bed. He drags the hapless young man down to
    his pillow, gasps out his last, nearly inaudible words into the young man's
    ear, then the tired, dying man sighs once and departs from this world
    forever. After a brief but respectful silence, a quavering voice asks,
    "What did he say?"

    The ashen-faced nephew turns to the assembled group and, imitating his lost
    uncle, says, "He said, 'You... can...never... have..<cough>...
    enough...megapixels.' And I think all of us should be grateful he never
    lost his perspective."

    Paul H., Aug 19, 2003
  11. I had some hopes at first. But it looks to me as if it's not
    competitive with the partial-frame DSLRs from the mainline
    manufacturers at this point. I think it's dead.
    I invested in DSLR camera systems 8 months ago, and am extremely glad
    I did.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 19, 2003
  12. Paul D. Sullivan

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I personally don't see much future for it, but I'm not the general public.
    It strikes me that the body is going to have to be smaller, and cheaper, and
    the lenses are going to have to be much cheaper to compete - at least from
    what I've seen of the announced pricing on various sites.

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 19, 2003
  13. Paul D. Sullivan

    Alan F Cross Guest

    Looks to me that the new Canon 300D, amongst other things, is designed
    to be a 'Four Thirds' killer. Canon has seriously geared up dSLR
    production, and it looks like a large slice of consumer hunger will be
    sated before the first Four Thirds camera even reaches the shelves. It's
    not as if there are compatible lenses sitting gadget bags waiting
    desperately for a Four Thirds body, as it's a new mount.

    Alan F Cross, Aug 20, 2003
  14. Paul D. Sullivan

    Mike Engles Guest

    Hello

    As far as I am concerned, when DSLRs can have upgradeable sensors to
    keep up with tecnology I will be interested. I use Nikon and Olympus
    SLRs and have had them for over 20 years. I also use a 10MP scanner, a
    Nikon LS40.

    I have to say the sample images I have seen from some digital cameras
    are really impressive.

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Aug 21, 2003