    Just curious how reliable are the reports?
    They don't get "kick-backs" from camera CO's.
    -tom

    Tom Nakashima, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Tom Nakashima

    henchook Guest

    Extremely reliable. It's my main digital photo news source.
    The forums are great, and the articles and reviews are informative, and
    of excelelent quality.

    The only thing is that because it's an official site, they don't post
    any rumors (although you can find tons of discussion on these topics in
    the forums).

    henchook, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Tom Nakashima

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    In my view, the best review site. Warts are discussed, detailed test
    data provided and Pros and Cons summarized. Downside is that reviews
    are selective and not as extensive as, say, Steve's.

    Other review sites are good, too: Steve's, dcresource, megapixel, etc.
    I just rely more on dpreview.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Tom Nakashima

    Böwzér Guest

    It's the best one out there, but use caution: the owner of that site has
    signed a number of non-disclosure agreements, and accepts advertising, so
    anything presented on that site *may* be affected by his relationships with
    manufacturers and advertisers. I am certainly not saying that he's a shill,
    or that he's as blatant as some magazines, like Pop Photo or Consumer
    Review, but it is impossible to do what he does without some heavy outside
    influences.

    Overall, I like the site very much, visit it weekly, and find it a wealth of
    information.

    Böwzér, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Tom Nakashima

    BG250 Guest

    I own a couple of cameras that were reviewed and I say the reviews are
    accurate.

    Unfortunately, few (usually higher end) models are reviewed and it can take
    them a while to get around to reviewing some new models.
    bg

    BG250, Sep 28, 2004
  6. Tom Nakashima

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The reviews are through, and well-done, but there is some bias as they
    use humans for the writing. Sometimes a camera will be criticised for
    something in one review, and then presented as an example of how to do
    the thing in another review for a different camera. It is pretty near
    impossible for a person to be totally unbiased in a review. With that
    warning, I think you can make good use of it as a resource.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 28, 2004
  7. Tom Nakashima

    Dave Cobb Guest

    FOUR NOTES...

    1) These sites (www.dpreview.com , www.steves-digicams.com, etc) will never
    downright roast a bad camera... as they would never get free cameras to
    review from that manufacturer again. Instead, you have to "read between the
    lines" in the editorials. Look for strong superlatives (excellent, amazing,
    etc) to indicate a really good camera. Average camera reviews get only words
    like "good" or "adequate"... but they will never say something is bad. My
    suggestion is to read several of their reviews to get a feel for the writing
    style of the author. Only then will you be able to really separate the good
    and bad reviews.

    2) Watch out for old reviews... cameras that got shining reviews 1 year ago
    might not look so hot anymore compared to the newer and better models that
    have hit the market since the time of the review.

    3) Look at the sample pictures they provide and compare with the same shots
    from other cameras you are considering.

    4) Validate their reviews with real consumer reviews (epinions.com,
    pricegrabber.com, etc)

    Dave Cobb, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Tom Nakashima

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    In general, I agree. But dpreview does roast cameras.

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 29, 2004