Is the Canon 10D on its way out?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fmaas, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. fmaas

    fmaas Guest

    Have lurked in this NG over the last three weeks trying to make a decision
    between a D100 and a 10D as an upgrade from my Minolta Dimage 7. I have
    waffled back and forth based on the comments I read, but overall this NG and
    the reviews I have found have been very helpful.

    Yesterday I went out for a final "hands on" look before making my decision
    and found that Canon 10D's had dried up. 4 camera shops none and did not
    know when they would get any. Best Buy had a demo but no stock and when the
    clerk checked it appeared from their computers that they weren't going to
    carry it anymore. BTW they can't sell demo's until they go on clearance.

    The reason I ask if the 10D is on its way out is that 2 of the camera shop
    folks speculated, I repeat, speculated (no hard facts) that Canon would be
    announcing a "20D" or something like that in the near future.

    I was also told that Canon had reduced the production of the 10D by 75% in
    order to produce a greater volume of the digital Rebel model and that may
    have created the backlog.

    I have found nothing, so far, on the Net that would substantiate either of
    these speculations.

    I am not a troll, I don't want to start any flames here but if there is a
    new model on the immediate horizon I would prefer to wait and evaluate the
    new product before making a decision. If these speculations are not true
    then I guess the 10D is just a very popular camera. I have also read many
    threads on the D100 versus the 10D so I am not trying to start another of
    those conversations either.

    BTW I am in a large metropolitan area not in a small town. I am sure
    somewhere in L.A. there is a 10D, I just haven't found one.

    Any information that can be verified would be appreciated.

    fmaas, Jan 11, 2004

  2. fmaas

    steve Guest

    Last time I saw canoga camera's web site claimed they had a limited
    supply of 10Ds

    I have found their prices to be very competitive on most products, and
    although it was a long drive from where I live in Orange County it was
    well worth the effort.

    www.canogacamera.com

    No I don't work there ... Just thought I would pass on my experience
    because I was impressed with their knowledge and assistance.

    steve

    steve, Jan 11, 2004

  3. fmaas

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Canon has had a history of stopping production on a model just before they come
    out with an upgrade. Same think happened last year when the 10D came out. the
    D60 dried out.
    Considering that PMA is right around the corner (mid February) I would say that
    a new model of their DSLR line will be announced soon and will show up in the
    stores in April, in time for summer vacations.
    B&H (BHPhotovideo.com) is accepting preorders. You could also check
    http://www.robertsimaging.com/
    They don't say if they have stock on hand but you can call them.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 11, 2004
  4. This is very likely, that Canon will announce and maybe show a prototype of
    the 10D's successor, maybe with an advanced 8 or 10 MP sensor.
    That's certainly necessary to fulfill the high demand on the Digital Rebel.
    Canon, Minolta etc. will keep such information strictly company confidential
    :)
    Of course you are not and it will be worth waiting anyway by february. If
    Canon introduce a successor (which then will not be available before autumn
    2004), this will reduce the price of the 10D dramatically. So you have the
    decision to buy a extremly good 10D for a good price, or to wait to death
    until you are able to buy the successor, for a quite high introductory
    price.

    Thorsten Winter, Jan 11, 2004
  5. fmaas

    leo Guest

    That's my speculation too. With the price of $500+ difference between
    Digital Rebel and 10D, there're plenty of rooms to bring the cost of 10D
    down and adds some features such as the EF-S lens mount esp. important for
    affordable wide angle lens and combinations of metal and structural plastic
    to keep weight manageable and doesn't look cheap. [I had seen the 300D at
    CircuitCity - none of the stores in my area have any in stock though - and
    it feels pretty solid despite of the appearance.]

    leo, Jan 11, 2004
  6. fmaas

    fmaas Guest

    <snip>

    I left for a couple hours and am impressed by the good responses I have
    received already. Thanks!

    Since you were willing to answer my question can I impose to ask one more?

    For general purpose scenery, people etc. (not action) shots, like the ones
    that I would take, lets say, on a vacation, what would you recommend as an
    initial lens? I want to stay with the camera brand for now and I want good
    glass. I will build up my collection over time as I get better with the
    camera and based on what I seem to need and be missing for my type use.

    In the camera shops it has been suggested that I get:

    For the Canon, a EF 28-135 mm F/3.5-5.6 IS lens

    For the Nikon, a 24-85 mm F/3.5-4.5 ED-IF-AF-S lens

    Once again any comments would be appreciated.

    fmaas, Jan 11, 2004
  7. fmaas

    leo Guest

    The Canon lens you mentioned is what most people suggest if you need a
    single walk around lens. Although I dislike the cosmetic of the Digital
    Rebel, the low price and the EF-S 18-55mm zoom lens are attractive. After
    studying the lens options, it's next to impossible to get a suitable wide
    lens for 10D. Although getting an expensive EF17-40/4L lens as a normal lens
    for 10D isn't a total waste as it can always be used in a film or a new full
    frame digital camera. Do you consider getting the 10D with study
    construction or a cheap but capable Rebel to tide you over when a low cost
    full frame camera comes out in a few years? Or wait a month to see what's
    coming out?

    leo, Jan 11, 2004
  8. fmaas

    Mark B. Guest

    I wouldn't buy a demo at BB anyway, you don't know what they've done to it.
    Yes, the 10D will be replaced. Someday. It may be this year, maybe not.
    Beyond that, all you'll get is speculation and unsubstantiated rumors. PMA
    is in February so you don't have to wait too long.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 11, 2004
  9. fmaas

    REED BOXIN Guest

    i talked to the store owner where i got my 10d from (scranton p.a.)and he told
    me that cannon has only 6 alloted for the whole state of p.a. at this time.

    gene

    REED BOXIN, Jan 11, 2004
  10. fmaas

    leo Guest

    Good news. I'll wait a little bit longer for the 10D replacement.

    leo, Jan 11, 2004
  11. fmaas

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    For the Nikon, I'd suggest the 24-120VR, longer excursion,
    vibration reduction (it DOES work!) and overall an excellent
    lens.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 11, 2004
  12. fmaas

    Christian Guest

    If you want a wide-angle lens (i.e., for landscapes) then you need the
    17-40mm.

    Christian, Jan 12, 2004
  13. fmaas

    fmaas Guest

    <SNIP>

    I want to thank you all again for your input and advice. Found Samy's in LA
    still had the 10D and the D100 and I went and looked at both side by side
    one more time. I will let you know the outcome coupled probably with
    requests for more advice. I find your input valuable as I am still a major
    amateur at all this.

    fmaas, Jan 12, 2004
  14. fmaas

    Jay Stalman Guest

    I have had exactly the same issue, about buying a 10D to upgrade to an
    SLR from my Canon Powershot G3. The issue of the magnification factor
    of 1.6 whcih effectively increases the focal length of the lens due to
    the small size of the chip compared to a 35mm negative is bothersome.
    I don't wan't to have to pay $600 for a 15-30 mm wide angle lens, not
    to mention having to carry the extra weight. Does anyone know if
    Canon's next version will have this problem corrected so that a 28-135
    EF lens (which I already have) will remain at the same effective focal
    length?
    Jay

    Jay Stalman, Jan 12, 2004
  15. fmaas

    Mark B. Guest

    Isn't it obvious from all the rumors that nobody here knows what the 10D
    replacement (if it's even this year) might be? Canon also has a 1.3x crop
    sensor dSLR , the 1D (not to mention the 8 grand full frame 1Ds) but I'm
    betting that's the one being replaced.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 12, 2004
  16. fmaas

    Ron Recer Guest

    From: (Jay Stalman)
    Some of us find find this to be a helpful feature.
    Again, not a problem for many of us, but a feature. All depends on your needs.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Jan 12, 2004
  17. fmaas

    leo Guest

    I think Canon will address cropping issue of the APS camera with more
    affordable ultra wide angle lens.

    Read these Dec 2003 reports and plan for your purchase of a new dSLR:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1071245961.html

    Canon is aimed for 35mm in the long run. Nikon has no full size sensor
    solution yet and will focus on APS size in the short run and 8MP sensor is
    around the corner.
    I bet the 10D is going out but will it be replaced with a 8MP APS sensor or
    just cost cutting/minor twisting?

    The Nikon D70 looks fine and price competively. This might be the one to
    tide me over. I would rather spend money on full size lens than a camera
    body that will soon be outdated. However, I might be tempted for an updated
    10D if it were updated with a 8MP sensor.

    Considering Canon has reduced the distribution of the D10, there'd be no
    bargain. This makes waiting for the PMA worthwhile.

    leo, Jan 12, 2004
  18. fmaas

    leo Guest

    No, it's not a feature. You get what you pay for. Cropping IS cropping.
    Don't be fooled by the marketing ploy. However, we just have to live with
    it, expecially when you're thinking how much money you have to part with for
    big brother 1Ds.

    leo, Jan 12, 2004
  19. fmaas

    HRosita Guest

    For you, if 28mm wide angle is so important, it might be to your advantage to
    look into the Canon Rebel 300D.
    the kit lens has 18-55mm zoom
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 12, 2004
  20. fmaas

    Ed E. Guest

    The 10D replacement will very likely be announced next month. If I were in
    your shoes, I'd wait. Chances are, you'll end up with a more feature-rich
    camera for less money.

    Ed E., Jan 12, 2004