Is ripping unencrypted scratched DVD more reliable than 1:1 copying of that same DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Kathi, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Kathi

    Kathi Guest

    Is ripping an unencrypted DVD more reliable than copying that same DVD?

    a) My children scratch the dickens out of my archived (unencrypted) DVDs.
    b) A 1:1 copy of an unencrypted DVD is faster than re-ripping & copying.
    c) Yet, I seem to get more reliable burns by re-ripping than by copying.

    I'm just curious. Is there a reason why I would get more verification
    failures (by far) when performing a 1:1 copy (using IBM RecordNow) of
    scratched unencrypted DVDs than when I re-rip (with DVD Shrink 3.2) and
    then burn the ripped image with IBM Record Now?

    Why would I find that 1:1 copying of my old scratched archived unencrypted
    DVDs is less reliable than re-ripping and burning those same DVDs?

    Is it just my imagination or is there a reason for this reliability
    phenomenon?

    Kathi

    Kathi, Jul 17, 2006