Is Pentax 645 going to become a difficult camera to get?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 8, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 8, 2010

  2. RichA

    Me Guest

    Perhaps they just don't want to produce this in volume at the $10k price
    break because there isn't any money in it for them.

    Me, Jun 8, 2010

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    From what I've read, volume and the economies of scale is what they're
    counting on in order to make money on it.

    John A., Jun 8, 2010
  4. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    LOL!

    Ray Fischer, Jun 8, 2010
  5. RichA

    Me Guest

    It's off to a bad start then.
    I simply don't believe that demand will be high from "serious amateur"
    photogs, and it will be close to zero from existing professional/studio
    photographers who are already invested in other medium format digital gear.
    "The firm had planned to release the camera onto the Japanese market in
    May, but said it put back the launch until 11 June because orders
    exceeded supplies."
    There have been all sorts of demand-exceeds-supply problems with some of
    Nikon's pro tele lenses, but that never stopped them from "launching"
    the products.
    I think Pentax's excuse is pure BS.
    Hope I'm wrong - I wouldn't mind one, but certainly not at US$10k.

    Me, Jun 8, 2010
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Or, perhaps more likely, Pentax may have significantly underpriced the
    camera and could lose money on every one sold. But it is more likely
    that Kodak is unable to produce the sensors quickly enough.

    I took the precaution of buying several used Pentax 645 lenses at
    bargain prices in the hope of getting one of the 645D bodies, but
    there is no sign of it coming to Europe any time soon.

    Bruce, Jun 8, 2010
  7. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Cough, cough!

    Peter, Jun 8, 2010
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Seems like that is what killed their relationship with Olympus. Also,
    I don't think there is much economy of scale with the medium format
    sensors.

    RichA, Jun 8, 2010
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Kodak's relationship with Olympus foundered because Kodak were unable
    to produce decent sensors with more than 5 MP. After the excellence
    of the 5 MP sensor in the E-1, Kodak's 8 MP sensor for the Olympus
    E-300 was a huge disappointment.

    Kodak had made some very good prototype sensors, some of which I had
    the privilege to test, but they couldn't translate their performance
    into a sensor that could be produced in quantity.

    At that point Panasonic entered the fray and produced the sensors that
    saved Four Thirds from oblivion.

    The sensor in the Pentax 645D is used in other cameras and backs. But
    the difference is that the pricing of the Pentax 645D is very keen and
    therefore its sales figures would be likely to be higher by an order
    of magnitude.

    Bruce, Jun 9, 2010
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    A classic example is Apple, who held back the launch of the iPad in
    Europe because demand was too great.

    Bruce, Jun 11, 2010
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:24:07 +0100, "No spam please"
    :
    : >: >> On 8/06/2010 4:42 p.m., John A. wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> On 8/06/2010 12:54 p.m., RichA wrote:
    : >>>>> Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
    : >>>>> competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
    : >>>>> perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
    : >>>>> or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
    : >>>>> they'd like to?
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html
    : >>>>>
    : >> "The firm had planned to release the camera onto the Japanese market in
    : >> May, but said it put back the launch until 11 June because orders exceeded
    : >> supplies."
    : >
    : >Anyone think of any other company that holds a product off the market
    : >because there's too great a demand for it?
    :
    :
    : A classic example is Apple, who held back the launch of the iPad in
    : Europe because demand was too great.

    Wasn't it that demand was so great in the U.S. that it made no sense to launch
    in Europe until they got caught up? If so, it's hardly analogous to Pentax not
    wanting to launch in Japan. Sounds to me as though Pentax has a manufacturing
    problem they fear will cost them big bucks (er, yen) if they don't solve it
    pre-launch.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 11, 2010
  12. RichA

    Peter Guest

    That's not quite the same thing as Pentax production. The DeBeers and OPEC,
    etc. regulate production to keep prices high.

    BTW what is the basis for your comment about Porsche?

    Peter, Jun 11, 2010
  13. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Especially after their non-galvanized models fell apart with rust in
    damp climates.

    BMW used to be exclusive before their accountants took over. Didn't
    they buy Rover from the taxpayers in the UK then sell the crap back at
    much higher prices? If so, smart move.

    Pete, Jun 11, 2010
  14. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Remember the difference between a porcupine and a BMW.

    Peter, Jun 11, 2010
  15. RichA

    Me Guest

    It's likely that cars have been produced by many mainstream makers in
    limited numbers and sold below cost (incl to recover development) for
    image branding reasons. Homologation specials for motorsport, and
    unique models (Honda NSX?) are probably treated as a marketing cost.

    Me, Jun 11, 2010
  16. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Yes.

    Pete, Jun 11, 2010
  17. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Never herd of a Teddy porcupine before.

    Peter, Jun 12, 2010
  18. RichA

    John A. Guest

    And you wouldn't want a porcupine in a teddy, even if it was shaved.

    John A., Jun 12, 2010
  19. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Ouch

    Peter, Jun 12, 2010
  20. RichA

    krishnananda Guest

    Bristles is hawgs. Quills is porky-pines. Th' one makes a good
    paintbrush; th' other makes a good tattooing needle...

    krishnananda, Jun 13, 2010