    For DVDs is there really any need for anything better
    like Nero?

    Thanks for your opinions.

    Yibbels, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Yibbels

    jeffy3 Guest

    In a few years, everything is obsolete: TVs, cars, girlfriends, pets,
    presidents, ...

    Buy now that you may live to the full, but only if
    you really need the thing.

    jeffy3, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Yibbels

    Yibbels Guest

    That posting was obsolete already.

    Yibbels, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Yibbels

    JustMe Guest

    I don't believe that the inbuilt cd burning software for XP supports DVD
    drives, usually the difference between OEM and Retail drives are slight, at
    least that's the case at newegg.com where I got my LG dvd drive.

    Hello,

    I am considering getting an OEM drive without software
    for use with Windows XP and maybe Linux.

    When I burn CDs on my existing drive, I don't use
    any special software. I use XP's builtin writer.

    JustMe, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Yibbels

    napalm68 Guest

    The Nero OEM with the pioneer 109 is pretty well complete. Some of the sub
    utilities like Wave editor aren't there, but it doesn't seem to be hardware
    locked (I have an old cd burner it works with also)

    napalm68, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Yibbels

    Yibbels Guest

    Are you using that externally?
    If so, which external enclosure are you using?

    Thanks.

    Yibbels, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Yibbels

    Stan Brown Guest

    It doesn't -- CDs only, and even there no packet writing.

    Stan Brown, Mar 26, 2005
  8. Yibbels

    Joe Blow Guest

    My experience thus far with burning DVDs on Windoze XP:

    DVDdecrypter -- failed burns 20% of the time
    Nero -- zero failures and zero bad quality burns.

    I'm sure that I'm doing *something* wrong when using
    DVDdecrypter, but I have no idea what the hell that may
    be. Plus, with Nero you don't have to go to the laber
    of creating an image file.

    JB

    Joe Blow, Mar 26, 2005
  9. Under Linux, there's a few good open source dvd burning tools that work
    well, most notably k3b. Recently, Nero released a (closed source)
    version of their product for free download if you already own the
    Windows version (retail for sure, maybe OEM). I have used Nero on
    Windows for years, and it is very well done. I strongly recommend it
    (haven't tried the Linux port, but k3b works for me).

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Yibbels

    JustMe Guest

    Are you using that externally?
    If so, which external enclosure are you using?

    Thanks.

    My LG is an internal drive.

    JustMe, Mar 26, 2005
  11. That is strange. I use DVDDecrypter every day. I have a setop
    DVR and use +RW disks on that. For things I keep after I put on an
    screen and a title, I used DVDDc* to make and ISO image. OR
    I use the IFO mode to suck out the files, edit with VideoRedo
    and continue on.

    What I like about DVDDc* is that it has an automatic verify so that
    when I burn a DVD it automatically re-reads. I get occaisional
    errors. I've found that one brand I've use [TDK] has changed
    vendors, and while my TDK 840N would burn 4X disk at 8X on the
    media made by Ricoh, the current disks [Identified at
    CMC MAG F01] tend to fail at 8X so I just set DVDDc* to
    be 4x.

    I've had fewer failed burns with that program than others.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Yibbels

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    I've had this enclosure
    http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=EC-911-CD&cats=131&catid=313,131
    powered on almost continuously for over a year containing an
    NEC3500AG and alternately shared between two XP pcs, one using
    1394, the other usb2. It runs noiselessly.

    If I was in need of another enclosure right now, I'd happily get
    another of these.

    It's at the bottom of a stack of three external devices, another
    burner in a CompUSA enclosure that has fan noise at startup but
    which abates either after waiting for a minute or two or power
    cycling, and a Maxtor 200 which is also rarely off and always
    silent.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Yibbels

    Darkknight Guest

    WindowsXP does not burn DVD's natively, you need a third party
    application like Nero

    Darkknight, Mar 28, 2005