    I have 256 RAM, XP, Service Pack 2. My laptop is 1 year old and runs
    fine.

    Tks

    pickle, Dec 12, 2004

  2. pickle

    G. Morgan Guest

    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    If you had half a brain, and did a little math you would realize how ridiculous
    that question is.

    G. Morgan, Dec 12, 2004

  3. pickle

    pickle Guest

    pickle, Dec 12, 2004
  4. pickle

    Noel Paton Guest

    I'd want to think about also upgrading the RAM - you may well find that
    256MB is going to lead to jerky performance (and what's the processor?)

    I'm not really sure about the transfer rate - it may depend on whether
    you're talking about uncompressed video, or what - what format are the
    videos in?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
  5. pickle

    pickle Guest

    The movies play fine now from drive C with 256MB of RAM but if they
    jerk using the external drive I will upgrade to 512. I have MPEG and
    AVI files.

    The processor is 1.7 GHz.

    pickle, Dec 12, 2004
  6. I am sure you are not really sure about the transfer rate it May
    depend on whether they are talking about uncompressed video.

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 12, 2004
  7. pickle

    pickle Guest

    -----
    What I know is that this web site shows that the Sustained Data
    Transfer Rate (Maximum) is: 28 MB/s
    http://www.datastorageplus.com/tfdu8072.html
    and I want to play Mpeg and AVI files from the external drive.

    Will they play?

    pickle, Dec 12, 2004
  8. pickle

    Ingeborg Guest

    I have a DVD here, 3.58GB, playtime 75 min. That makes a datastream of 834
    kB/sec. You can safely assume that 28MB/sec is enough.

    Ingeborg, Dec 12, 2004
  9. pickle

    pickle Guest

    pickle, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Howdy!

    Not really - very few drives can sustain 100MB/sec.

    But the easy way to answer - Do some quick math. How big is the
    file, and how long does it play? For instance, I have files that are almost
    300M for 24 minutes. My math says about 208KB/sec ... so you're at least
    100 times greater B)

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 12, 2004
  11. pickle

    Blast Guest

    Howdy back. I agree with your math. Thanks for the reassurance.

    -----

    Blast, Dec 12, 2004
  12. pickle

    Noel Paton Guest

    What's shown from a website is very rarely in any way related to the
    reality - you need to assess your own system, and work it out (there are too
    many interferences on a web download for anything to make much sense, except
    gross numbers, which mean very little when you're almost certainly dealing
    with compressed files, and speed at least a factor of two different from
    the web download speed.

    Noel Paton, Dec 17, 2004