    windows xp and havent had too many problems with it. But certain things
    like memory usage and dirext x can only be used with windows 7. Wondering
    if I can still use xp for a little longer.

    Edwin T., Sep 1, 2011

  2. Edwin T.

    Paul Guest

    Do you have a copy of Windows XP ?

    If so, then use it.

    If it no longer meets your needs, then upgrade to Windows 7.

    The same thing happened to me with Win2K. It was becoming difficult
    to get games to start running (even though Win2K and WinXP are
    very similar in design, so much so there is no excuse for a game
    refusing to start). Microsoft added some things to DirectX, that
    when developers used it, it functioned as a "gate keeper", forcing
    the users to use WinXP. At least one game, you could use a hex
    editor, and editor out the branch instruction in the OS check,
    and the game would run. Which shows there was no need to do an
    OS check.

    If you run into something like that, with your WinXP, then it
    will be time to move to Windows 7. As long as the games you
    play, have a DirectX 9 alternative rendering path (and no OS
    checking code), you can continue to use WinXP.

    I have Windows 7 on a laptop here, and I don't get an "extra thrill"
    from using it. The computer I'm typing this on, runs WinXP, and
    so far, it still fully meets my needs.

    If you're starting from scratch right now, the hard part will be
    finding a legitimate copy of WinXP for sale. There are plenty of
    "used CDs" floating around on the Internet for sale, but unless
    you're a "hacking expert", no way to know which of those CDs can
    actually be put to good usage. A lot of those discs are recovery
    CDs for branded computers - the disc may have a "BIOS lock", meaning
    it checks for a particular BIOS string to come from the BIOS, before
    installation will begin. In such a case, you want to investigate
    what the OEMBIOS.* files are for, and what people do with them.
    I still haven't figured it out.

    With a recovery CD, activation may happen immediately. The CD is
    BIOS locked, so the OS can be activated as a function of that
    installation. If the CD is not BIOS locked, it's going to expect
    you to key in a 25 character license string - if you buy a CD,
    and it's a regular (unbranded) OEM CD, then it had better come
    with an unused license key. Some sellers just pencil a 25 character
    VLK onto the package, which may run fine one day, and then the
    next time you go to Windows Update, get flagged as "not genuine".

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 1, 2011

  3. Edwin T.

    me again Guest

    If you mean "buy a new computer with Win 7 and more memory and maybe 64bits"
    then unconditionally YES.

    If you mean "upgrade the RAM in my old computer and install Win 7"
    then MAYBE.

    If you mean "slap Win 7 on my old computer"
    then NO.

    me again, Sep 2, 2011
  4. Edwin T.

    daphne

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, win 7 is superior to win xp, I love win 7.

    daphne, Sep 2, 2011
  5. Robert Baer snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    I'm sorry, Robert, but I've got to know...
    what did you run on a ~2007 comp with Win3.11???

    :)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

    James D Andrews, Sep 4, 2011
  6. Robert Baer banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    Wow! Good for you! I still have a couple copies of it around here
    somewhere, but not loaded on any machines and I can't remember when the
    last time was I used it.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Sep 5, 2011