    exam to Whidbey or will I have to take 5 exams again ?

    Thanks In Advance
    Bill

    orekinbck, Jul 16, 2005

  2. orekinbck

    Fernando Guest

    When i first think to achieve MCAD, i had the same doubt
    But i decide to go on regardless what happen with the .net path.
    Now i`m MCAD (i took about five months )
    i sugest you to do the same...go on an achieve your cert

    What people say is that there will be an upgrade exam for .net 2.0, but i'm
    sure before it be released i will already have achieve the mcsd and mcdba.

    Fernando, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Take a look at the article on
    http://www.mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=821. Yup, the cert is
    significantly changing. There is an upgrade path to those who are certified
    in previous versions of .Net.

    As to whether it's worth upgrading from MCSD to the new certs is up to you,
    although I might wait for the feedback cycle that's sure to start by the end
    of the year.

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Jul 16, 2005
  4. orekinbck

    orekinbck Guest

    Thanks Bob, that's exactly the kind of info I was after.

    Do you know when in September they will release the certification
    details for Whidbey ?

    I'm starting to wonder about the whole certification thing - whether it
    is worth it at all!! It takes such an effort to work full time and
    study, then at most your certifications only last a few years ... Think
    about the amount of effort it would have taken to keep certified over
    the last 5 years ... If you got MCSD in VS6, then that was 4 exams.
    Then MCSD in .NET 2003, that was another 5 exams (potentially 4 if you
    had the right elective). Then another 2 exams for .NET 2005. That's
    11 exams in 5 years !!!

    And who knows what it will take to 'keep certified' over the next 20
    years !?!? There is sure to be a couple more 'paradigm shifts' which
    will require getting a whole new certification (like from VS6 to .NET).

    I suppose I'll just do 70-316 and re-assess when the new exam schedules
    come out.

    Cheers
    Bill

    orekinbck, Jul 17, 2005
  5. orekinbck

    Guest Guest

    Things always move forward and change ... That's the nature of life. Iam just
    wondering where we will be today if the innovation stopped in electronics
    after video cassettes or walkman were invented ... No snappy DVD players or
    ultra-cool mp3 players !

    Guest, Jul 17, 2005
  6. orekinbck

    orekinbck Guest

    Technology moves at an astonishing rate and I agree that on the whole,
    it makes us better off. However this is a different point to what I
    was making.

    I don't think it is worth being "Microsoft certified" when the
    certification only lasts a few years. Effectively all I am doing is
    pouring more money into Microsoft's coffers and book publishers.

    I believe that 'self study', keeping up to speed with Google groups and
    practical experience are making me a far better programmer than any of
    the work I have done on the Microsoft certifications. People pass
    Microsoft exams by giving the Microsoft answers, not the real-world
    answers.

    orekinbck, Jul 18, 2005
  7. orekinbck

    EggHead Guest

    I will said it is not worth as much as people think unless your company paid
    for it.
    The issues is that M$ is pouring new stuff very fast in the last few yrs.
    Do you realize the time span different in VB to .net, .net 2002 to .net
    2003., and .net 2003 to .net 2005? Or, NT4.0 to 2K and 2K to 2k3?
    And, do you notice the # of people holding up-to-date M$cert is less and
    less?
    I think that is one of reason why M$ changing the name as well. Therefore,
    for the M$ partner stuff, M$ can forces people jumping loop again.
    Egghead

    EggHead, Jul 18, 2005
  8. July 18, 2005

    Well I know one thing for a fact. The MCAD certification has meant the
    difference for me between being just another developer and one that is quite
    frequently going on tours of the Redmond campus and talking with many
    different product groups... I have another meeting planned with Sr Mgmt with
    a product group soon, and the certification definitely was an eye catcher!
    It was Tremendously worth it for what it has accomplished for me!

    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Application Developer

    Web Site: http://71.39.42.23
    Static IP

    Joseph Bittman MCAD, Jul 19, 2005
  9. orekinbck

    orekinbck Guest

    Well Good On You !!! You must be very proud of yourself. By the way,
    say hello to the big BG from me.

    orekinbck, Jul 19, 2005
  10. When I'm talking to people interested in certification, I put it this way.
    The only way to compare it is how hireable you are with it versus without
    it. In the good old days, certifications meant something more because of
    the rarity of it and the scarcity of IT folks in general. Those days are
    long gone.

    As far as the constant upgrading, look at it from the hiring parties
    perspective. If the person has a certification, I'd like to know what layer
    of technology it's in. The certification has some additional value if the
    person has kept up to date with it.

    There's no question that anyone who just does the certs and has no
    experience isn't as good as the certification would lead us to believe. And
    we all know people who are great programmers or infrastructure people who
    don't have any certifications. But it's a good addition.

    For what it's worth.

    Joseph Bittman MCAD, Jul 19, 2005