    character, the forward slash, and other special characters in file
    names?

    Appreciate your attention to this matter.

    Idris Alooma, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Idris Alooma

    Petit Alexi Guest

    No, you cannot use / in filenames.

    Why does it have to be that character, would something else be suitable?

    How about dash? Or underscore? Or caret?

    Petit Alexi, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Idris Alooma

    Brian H¹© Guest

    YHBT

    Brian H¹©, Oct 13, 2003
  4. This character is not allowed in filenames.

    For more info, see:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=177506>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Idris Alooma

    EricP Guest

    Not to my knowledge. These are reserved symbols and have been since
    the earliest days of DOS.

    It can be a pain at times.

    EricP, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Idris Alooma

    CJ Guest

    CJ, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Idris Alooma

    Mike0000 Guest

    If you did then it would think you're shifting directories.

    I like dashes because you dont have to use shift. Some people prefer
    underscores.

    Mike0000, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    Because that's the command delimiter for Microsoft OSes, and
    therefore not usable within filenames.
    Sure! Use something besides a Microsoft OS.

    Otherwise, no.
    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 14, 2003
  9. It was on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:36:05 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Idris Alooma made this utterance:
    As RwP said, use another OS. ;-)
    I use a linux distro, & have no problems
    using '/' '?' etc, in filenames.

    William Poaster, Oct 14, 2003
  10. Idris Alooma

    Brian H¹© Guest

    William Poaster said:
    How long before anyone spots that this is Clyde and that I posted "YHBT" a
    *long* time ago?

    Brian H¹©, Oct 14, 2003
  11. I will have to make do with one of the other characters, or switch to
    Linux I guess.

    All the best. :)

    CB

    Dr. Carleton Bradley, Oct 16, 2003