    JD Guest

    Is it possible? Expanding my current network by adding another router to my
    existing one? If so, how would I configure this?

    JD, Dec 30, 2003

  2. JD

    JabberSmith Guest

    Which? You puttin in a new Cisco7200? Or is this a Linksys or somesuch?

    JabberSmith, Dec 30, 2003

  3. JD

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes but use a hub. Just plug it in.

    pcbutts1, Dec 30, 2003
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    hmm ... but why not a router? Shouldn't a router be even better?

    JD, Dec 30, 2003
  5. JD

    Billh Guest

    A hub or a switch will allow all the computers to talk with each other. A
    router would be a good way to section off parts of the network. I have done
    both. With the router you need to change the base IP address and subnet.

    Billh, Dec 30, 2003
  6. JD

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Dec 30, 2003
  7. JD

    Billy Guest

    A router is still cool. As noted you may set it up as a new network, or
    if you use the port (normal, not WAN from original router) and keep DHCP
    off, you may extend your network with the same subnet.
    Don't forget to set it up connected to only a computer first.
    Change the address (ex 192.168.0.2).
    Then any other settings and connect from router 1 to new router port 1.
    If the port is not auto-sensing, you may need a crossover cable.
    This works especially well when tying a wireless router (w/ports) to an
    existing network to share internet, files, printers, and so on.

    Billy, Dec 30, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    Could you say exactly what you're trying to do?

    What most people mean by "expanding my network" could be handled by
    a switch or hub ... allowing more machines to connect.

    However, if you're trying to feed to another area (such as, say, 100
    miles away), then yes, you'd use another router.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 31, 2003
  9. JD

    JD Guest

    no, just wanted to expand my 4 port router to 8 ports (and a router is as
    cheap as a hub these days!)

    JD, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Howdy!

    Not for the same number of ports. Plus, you just added an extra
    layer to the network.

    If all you want is to add extra machines, get a 8 port switch. That
    gives you six more ports.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 5, 2004