Is it possible to connect 3 ethernet LANS together using wifi AccessPoints?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by martin.storer, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Hi

    I've had a look and can't find the aswer to this question...

    I have three areas in an open plan office.

    Each area has 3 ethernet capable XP PCs but are not yet networked.

    One PC in one of the areas has a broadband internet connection. The
    intention is to give all PC's in the three areas access to the
    internet.

    I cannot wire cables between the 3 areas (I am not allowed to as it
    is
    a historic building). So I thought that maybe I could connect them
    using wireless access points with integral ethernet hubs? (or do I
    need wireless routers?)

    Is this possible? If so what kind of setup would I need to do?

    As far as the internet connection is concerned I thought that if I
    were to install an additional ethernet adapter in the PC with the
    broadband connection and then bridge the connections in windows?

    Will this fly? if not any other ideas? What about power-line
    networking?

    TIA

    Martin

    martin.storer, Aug 6, 2008

  2. martin.storer

    Bernard Peek Guest

    In message
    When you say one PC has Internet access do you mean that it has an ADSL
    modem attached, presumably using USB?
    That's one way, more traditionally you would use a single WAP and fit
    each PC with a wifi card. It all depends on just how large the building
    is and the thickness of any intervening walls. Wifi signals won't go
    through metre-thick stone walls. We need a bit more information about
    the site.
    That's fine until the machine gets shut down or rebooted. By far the
    best way of doing this is to use a separate ADSL router with one or more
    network ports. If all of the PCs are within range of the AP on the
    router then individual wireless cards in each PC is probably adequate.

    If the AP range extends into each area but doesn't cover the whole area
    then an AP, a small switch and some cable will work.
    That may work depending on how the place is wired. But if there is mains
    wiring then there may be a way to run network cables too. It is
    possible, using the right cable, to run network cables along external
    walls. That may open up more options.

    That's as much help as I can offer. I would need more information about
    the site to help more. You also need to consider whether any of the PCs
    will be moving lots of data around. Wifi networks share bandwidth and
    several machines all transferring multi-gigabyte files around could
    cause problems.

    Bernard Peek, Aug 6, 2008

  3. P.S. I know that this sounds like a business question and this is a
    "home networking" group...

    .... but the organisation I am working for on a voluntary basis for the
    next 5 months is a charity working for disabled children out here in
    the Philippines. It is not a business and really is a very "homely"
    environment. ;-)

    martin.storer, Aug 6, 2008
  4. martin.storer

    Tony Wright Guest

    In message <
    s.com>, writes
    Fit an all-in-one ADSL Modem/Router/Firewall/Wireless gateway near the
    connected PC -- it will maintain the connection to the Internet and give
    access to wired and wireless clients. Plug the presently connected PC
    into the router with a network cable.

    Install wireless adapters into the other 2 PCs to connect to the router
    via wireless. I'd recommend installing wireless PCI cards with movable
    aerials on a cable rather than USB wireless adapters. Ensure you setup
    WPA(2) encryption on the wireless side of the Gateway.

    For gateway routers, I like 3Com, Buffalo, Linksys and Netgear.

    Tony Wright, Aug 6, 2008
  5. martin.storer

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
    Use a wireless router to maintain the Internet connection, and connect
    the closest PCs to the router using wired Ethernet. For the other two
    groups of PCs there are several options, but I think the neatest is to
    connect them to a mini Ethernet hub and use a wireless Ethernet bridge
    (which could be a WAP that can run in bridging mode) to connect each
    hub to the router.

    Rob Morley, Aug 7, 2008