    LAN ?
    Thanks for any help
    Joseph

    Brandy, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Brandy

    Jono Guest

    What type of phone (make etc)?

    Which softphone?

    More details......?

    Often you would dial the IP address of the softphone thus:
    192*168*1*2 (where starts/asterisks represent the dot.)

    Jono, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Brandy

    Martin² Guest

    Yes. You need to know the IP address of the router / computer, i.e. as seen
    from the internet,
    (not the LAN address e.g. 192.168.1.11 as Jono suggested). Your
    correspondent will need to have working SIP
    device (softphone running), and with correct forwarded ports.
    If you correspondent hasn't got a static IP, you will need to obtain it
    every time before making the call :-(
    When dialling use * instead of . and usually prefix and finish with # (this
    may differ with your equipment).
    Thus for 123.45.78.90 you dial #123*45*78*90#

    Please note that softphones provided by Finarea - Voipbuster etc. as yet
    don't accept incoming calls, and when they do they may not work by IP number
    (?).
    HTH
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 15, 2006
  4. Brandy

    Brian A Guest

    So, would the use of something like http://www.dyndns.com/ be of use
    here?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 15, 2006
  5. Brandy

    Tim Bray Guest

    Yes, but it negates the whole benefit of SIP.

    That being that your network location is tracked by SIP registration.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Brandy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Why is it of benefit that my location is tracked..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Brandy

    Paul Hayes Guest

    So you don't have to care what your IP address is. Just like you
    wouldn't use an IP address instead of an email address. If you tell
    everyone your IP address & then go away on a business trip, no one will
    be able to call you unless you tell them all your new IP address while
    you are away.

    The whole idea is that you are reachable at one SIP address no matter
    where in the world you happen to be at that time.

    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 16, 2006
  8. Brandy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I can do that now without having to use dyndns. I plug my ATA into the
    nearest ADSL-equipped router and it works. They dial my phone number and
    it rings. People call me with phone numbers, not IP addresses.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 16, 2006
  9. Brandy

    Paul Hayes Guest

    well, that's only because a service provider is mapping the phone number
    to your SIP address or perhaps your even IP address.

    Paul Hayes, Jan 16, 2006
  10. Brandy

    Tim Bray Guest

    Because your ATA does a SIP REGISTER with the service provider.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 16, 2006
  11. Brandy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Exactly. So why bother mucking about with IP addresses..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 16, 2006
  12. Brandy

    Tim Bray Guest

    There's no reason to. I didn't say it was a good idea.

    Infact, dialing by IP address is not supported if you read the RFC.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 16, 2006
  13. Brandy

    Martin² Guest

    If you and your correspondent both have SIP devices, but are using
    different, and non peering, VoIP providers, you can still make FREE calls
    using your IP addresses.
    Obviously, if they are not static, that makes it slightly more difficult,
    but as suggested http://www.dyndns.com/
    is one solution.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 17, 2006
  14. Brandy

    alexd Guest

    But that's not what the OP is asking for.

    alexd, Jan 19, 2006
  15. Brandy

    alexd Guest

    From RFC 2543:

    #1.4.1 SIP Addressing
    #
    # The "objects" addressed by SIP are users at hosts, identified by a
    # SIP URL. The SIP URL takes a form similar to a mailto or telnet URL,
    # i.e., [email protected] The user part is a user name or a telephone number.
    # The host part is either a domain name or a numeric network address.

    and also:

    #1.4.2 Locating a SIP Server
    # The client tries to find one or more addresses for the SIP server by
    # querying DNS. The procedure is as follows:
    #
    # 1. If the host portion of the Request-URI is an IP address,
    # the client contacts the server at the given address.
    # Otherwise, the client proceeds to the next step.
    #
    # 2. The client queries the DNS server for address records for
    # the host portion of the Request-URI. If the DNS server
    # returns no address records, the client stops, as it has
    # been unable to locate a server. By address record, we mean
    # A RR's, AAAA RR's, or other similar address records, chosen
    # according to the client's network protocol capabilities.

    In my humble interpretation, the RFC does not suggest that dialling by IP
    address is 'not supported'. I'll admit I've only skimmed the RFC, perhaps
    you can point to a section of the RFC that suggests that dialling by IP
    address is 'not supported'? I would imagine that if the SIP RFC was going
    to say that a SIP implelentation that allowed 'dialling' by IP address was
    non-compliant, it would say so in the 'SIP Addressing' section if anywhere.

    alexd

    alexd, Jan 19, 2006
  16. Actually, the paragraph you quoted above is there only to cover
    the case of dialling by IP address, so it is explicitly supported.

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 21, 2006