    My new laptop had AVG installed on it. I have subcribed to BT and they have
    provided me with McAfee. Is it okay to have both operating.

    Thanks

    Monty, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    "Running at the same time", no. You should always rely on more
    than one antivirus solution, but only ever have one as a resident
    scanner. Use any other/s as "on demand" only, otherwise you
    risk conflicts, with unpredictable results.

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Monty

    Ionizer Guest

    Two (of many) relevant links:

    Symantec:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000031316555206 "Having
    more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources
    and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts."

    Panda: http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/july20/38.htm "It gets along
    with other antivirus software." Although they also add this: "Putting two
    such (antivirus) programs on the same machine is usually a recipe for
    disaster. Each interprets the other program's scanning as a possible virus
    attack."

    That said, I successfully had Norton and McAfee installed and updated on the
    same W98 machine for over two years- but I only had Norton set to start with
    Windows and run in the background. I kept the McAfee dormant and only used
    it for on-demand scans. I think that's the key: only have one of them
    running full-time in the background.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Monty

    MudBone Guest

    You can _USE_ more than one AV to run scans independantly but _DO_ _NOT_
    have more than one _ACTIVE_.
    HTH

    MudBone, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Monty

    Jan Guest

    @fe02.atl2.webusenet.com>,
    says...
    You can _USE_ more than one AV to run scans independantly but _DO_ _NOT_
    have more than one _ACTIVE_.
    HTH

    I have AVG and E-Trust running plus Zone Alarm and Sygate - what's the problem? I have never
    had a virus yet. I also use Mailwasher and scan all incoming attachments.

    Jan, Aug 24, 2003