    I just got an official Canon AC Adapter for my A650 camera, and I was
    wondering if it is OK to use the AC adapter without removing the
    batteries?

    Guest, Mar 2, 2009

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    of course it is. why wouldn't it be?

    Guest, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Depends.
    Doing with my older Nikon CoolPix will 'over-cook' the batteries in
    about 15-20 minutes. It actually over-heated and warpped the battery
    compartment cover.

    "They" probably save a lot of money by _not_ putting any
    charging/over-charging control circuitry in the camera body.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 2, 2009
  4. Guest

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Any device capable of using Alkaline cells should disconnect when a
    power plug is inserted. This is true for any number of devices
    particularly radios.
    I'm not familiar with the Nikon CoolPix but if it overcooks it's a lousy
    design.
    GPS devices and cordless phones are left charging forever with no ill
    effect.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Mar 3, 2009
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you for your post. I found this:

    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Adapter-990-Digital/dp/B00004U8LM

    which seems to verify what you said. Here is what the reviewer said:

    "My only quibble is not with the adapter, but the camera circuitry,
    which requires that you remove the batteries when using any AC
    adapter. It will not recharge them, but might cause the batteries to
    overheat (according to Nikon)."

    Based on that, I will assume that Canon isn't different from Nikon,
    and I will remove the batteries when I use the AC adapter.

    Guest, Mar 3, 2009
  6. Guest

    GregS Guest

    Good cameras will have batteries you take out to charge.

    I can see the Nikon problem. I don't know if my Sony camcorder has that
    problem, as you charge with battery in.

    greg

    GregS, Mar 3, 2009
  7. Nope. s/camera/design/

    I have three of'em. -- all wildly different serial numbers. All
    overheat the batteries if left in the camera with the DC adapter in use.

    See someone else's followup in the other sub-thread.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 4, 2009
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    FWIW, I emailed Canon support, and they said that it is OK to leave
    the batteries in the camera while using the AC adapter.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2009